The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Scroll to see replies

moonshine_1991
Is there anything else I can do to help aid the weight loss?

You could do a bit of research into the difference between "weight loss" and "fat loss", for a start. They are two completely different things.
Gazcobain
You could do a bit of research into the difference between "weight loss" and "fat loss", for a start. They are two completely different things.

I meant fat loss.
moonshine_1991
I meant fat loss.

How have you measured that you've not lost any fat in a month?
Gazcobain
How have you measured that you've not lost any fat in a month?

No. HOw would I go about measuring my BF%? I don't look as though I have. I have a pair of jeans which I tried on a month ago; they were too tight. I tried them on this morning; still too tight.
moonshine_1991
No. HOw would I go about measuring my BF%? I don't look as though I have. I have a pair of jeans which I tried on a month ago; they were too tight. I tried them on this morning; still too tight.

Different ways of measuring it. You can Google a bodyfat calculator which gets you to take different measurements of different parts of your body, plug it in and it'll give you a figure. You can get a wee handheld gizmo from a chemist that sends an electrical signal through your body and measures your bioelectrical impedence and gives you the figure. Neither of these are particularly accurate.

The most accurate way is to go to a dietician (or sometimes gyms have them) and they'll do all kinds of measurements using calipers and give you a %.

If you've been doing what you say you've been doing, and eating what you say you've been eating, then it's almost a biological impossibility for you to not have lost any fat, and that's why I think you're either exaggerating what you're doing / eating, or getting "weight loss" and "fat loss" confused and are going by the fact there's no difference on the scales.
Gazcobain
Different ways of measuring it. You can Google a bodyfat calculator which gets you to take different measurements of different parts of your body, plug it in and it'll give you a figure. You can get a wee handheld gizmo from a chemist that sends an electrical signal through your body and measures your bioelectrical impedence and gives you the figure. Neither of these are particularly accurate.

The most accurate way is to go to a dietician (or sometimes gyms have them) and they'll do all kinds of measurements using calipers and give you a %.

If you've been doing what you say you've been doing, and eating what you say you've been eating, then it's almost a biological impossibility for you to not have lost any fat, and that's why I think you're either exaggerating what you're doing / eating, or getting "weight loss" and "fat loss" confused and are going by the fact there's no difference on the scales.

I am going to the gym this afternoon so I will see if they can measure my BF%. I will persevere with what I have been doing and if there is no difference in a month I am going to the doctors to see if they can shed light on it.
Up the weights too, it should be difficult, and I mean if I don't get this off me it will crush me difficlt at the end of a set, not a mild uncomfrotable feeling.
A 7.5kg chest press is, well, pathetic really, thats not even the weight of a bar and its on a machine.

Some sort of leg press is needed too, up the weights and make the effort and it will work
Powerlifter
Up the weights too, it should be difficult, and I mean if I don't get this off me it will crush me difficlt at the end of a set, not a mild uncomfrotable feeling.
A 7.5kg chest press is, well, pathetic really, thats not even the weight of a bar and its on a machine.

Some sort of leg press is needed too, up the weights and make the effort and it will work

I do leg press occasionally. I do 3x12 at around 70 KG. I will up the other weights today. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 128
Powerlifter

HIIT is subjective, however running at a sustainable fast pace is not HIIT, running as if there is a rapist after you is sprinting!

LOL. i'm gonna keep that in mind when i hiit tomorrow morning :biggrin:
Reply 129
Brilliant thread, Powerlifter.
I lost 2 pound (in around a week) after taking into account some of the advice in this thread.

So Thanks Powerlifter
inebriatedgoldfish
I lost 2 pound (in around a week) after taking into account some of the advice in this thread.

So Thanks Powerlifter

Your welcome
Hmm.. if I used a skipping rope to do HIIT at home would it have the same effect?
I also go to my school gym on Mondays, Wednesdays & Friday's, should I carry on and do HIIT on the days in-between or would you recommend an alternative?
Reply 133
Powerlifter
Some basic mistakes to your thinking and a guideline to follow

Tone

This is a horrible fail word. What the ‘toned’ look actually is, is a lower bf level coupled with higher levels of muscle mass creating the taught skin appearance.

I don’t want to get big

You won’t, if it was that easy every bloke you saw would have swole t-shirt guns and pecs that could crush walnuts. And it is even harder for women so do not be afraid of compound free weights.

If you are already slim

You are more than likely in the skinny fat zone, you are small and slight as your diet is probably high sugar high fat and little else, this has depleted your muscles and left you with flabby bits as there is no real muscle mass to hold it all taught.

If you are overweight

You are in a better position than above, fat is very easy to loose if you listen to several on here and not to womens’ mags and stupid fad diets.

QUOTE]

You are missing people who are simply slim with low body fat :hmmm:
Rokit

You are missing people who are simply slim with low body fat

Can you be slim without low bodyfat?
Reply 135
Powerlifter
Can you be slim without low bodyfat?

You tell me

This was what you said in your post

"If you are already slim

You are more than likely in the skinny fat zone, you are small and slight as your diet is probably high sugar high fat and little else, this has depleted your muscles and left you with flabby bits as there is no real muscle mass to hold it all taught."

You talk about skinny/fat people but not people who are simply slim and just want to exercise for health reasons
Rokit
You tell me

This was what you said in your post

"If you are already slim

You are more than likely in the skinny fat zone, you are small and slight as your diet is probably high sugar high fat and little else, this has depleted your muscles and left you with flabby bits as there is no real muscle mass to hold it all taught."

You talk about skinny/fat people but not people who are simply slim and just want to exercise for health reasons

You have a point, my wording was not the best. I was reffering more to the 'I am size 6/8 but I have this belly' type of lass really.

As for general health, all for it if they want to train like that then fair play to them. Training is pretty much the same, diet the same except volume of food should be adjusted to maintain or even increase your weight.
Reply 137
Powerlifter
You have a point, my wording was not the best. I was reffering more to the 'I am size 6/8 but I have this belly' type of lass really.

As for general health, all for it if they want to train like that then fair play to them. Training is pretty much the same, diet the same except volume of food should be adjusted to maintain or even increase your weight.

Ok. I thought you were saying all slim people had muscle wastage. I was also high on caffeine

I have sent a PM as I need some advice. :woo:
Rokit
Ok. I thought you were saying all slim people had muscle wastage. I was also high on caffeine

I have sent a PM as I need some advice.

No problem
Quick question. I can't remember the last time I did any running and I would like to start with HIIT but would this do any damage to my knees since I haven't done any in a while?

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest