The Student Room Group

MSc Clinical Embryology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi
im so happy to see some post regarding the MSc at oxford as im intending to apply for the 2011/12 course ,, can you guys discuss the interview questions here ,, another thing is , are they strict with the TOEFL scores , i got 102 . and they want 109 !! .. and as for international students, is the interview mandatory , as it's not easy to fly all the way to the UK just for an interview ??!!
I have a suggestion here , how about adding each other on facebook or creating a group for those who are interested in this course so we can share common things ??!!!

Thanks for your attention ..
dr_holla
i finished the interview with dr/kevin and 3 members and as u said they were very friendly and they offered me a place but under the condition of completing IELTS test.
i completed my test and i will know my results next week,so pray for me :smile: .
So we might be classmates next year :gthumb:

Hey Dr Holla, I hope you will get the score needed. In February, they gave me a conditional offer on getting a 2:1 degree and an IELTS score of 7.5 with no skill lower than 7. Is that the same for you? I have now fulfilled all the admission criteria. I just got my IELTS result on the 30th June, which was 8.0! Phew!! So I guess you are an international student too? Where did you do your degree? and your major?
For some reason, they set the deadline for me to submit all my results by 2nd July, thus I thought that was an official deadline...but I was wrong, there are still 2 places left. ^^ Looking forward to hearing from you, my new classmate (sure you will be!)!

------
Dr Kevin told me he is completing the class list and closing down the admission system soon. So for those who still want to apply, please hurry up!

@ Nadaaman: I am not sure how strictly they are with those requirements. However, Dr Kevin was very serious when asking for those criteria, he reminded me all the time by email when the deadline got closer! So I guess it is serious to get those requirements or he will give my offer to someone else on the waiting list, maybe.. For the interview, you need to find out if they can do it over the phone or webcam instead. I had a cousin who had to fly from Singapore to attend the interview for Medicine at Imperial. Thus for Oxford, I guess there should be some strict rules regarding admission.

@ busybumble: I had been told the interview would last about 20-30 minutes. However, mine lasted for about 45 mins...and I am glad it went well.
Reply 22
Hi alyssa ,
Thanks for the reply ,, how about the interview, what kind of stuff have they asked you about ??
Reply 23
hi Alyssa,
As you said they want from me 7.5 in IELTS,but i will go for another trial soon to complete my offer conditions.
i'm a clinical Pharmaciest and i'm from Egypt.what about u???/
Reply 24
Hi dr holla ,
may i know what kid of questions did they ask u in the interview , as im planning to apply for the next years class , by the way im an embryologist from saudi arabia , do you think professional experience counts ?
Reply 25
Hi Nadaaman ,
the interveiw was alittle bit tough but they were very friendly it took around 1 hour but don't worry.
Reply 26
Alyssa,
i want to ask a question about IELTS because my score was 6.5 but in Academic IELTS,so can i go for general IELTS to get the required score because general IELTS is easier than academic one.
please answer me as soon as possible.
Thanks
Reply 27
alyssa125uk
Hi Holla :smile:
I am sorry that I didn't see your post earlier. I applied to this MSc program and got interviewed in February and was offered a place. As you have already had the interview, you can see that Dr Kevin Coward and 3 other members of the interview panel are very friendly. Let me know how you get on, since we might be classmates next year!! ^_^

Hi alyssa125uk

I have been offered a place for the MSc in CE for 2010/2011. So i guess we'll be classmates, which college have you been accepted into??
Reply 28
dr_holla
i finished the interview with dr/kevin and 3 members and as u said they were very friendly and they offered me a place but under the condition of completing IELTS test.
i completed my test and i will know my results next week,so pray for me :smile: .
So we might be classmates next year :gthumb:

Hi dr_holla,

I hope you're much relieved to have met the conditions of the offer! :smile: So when would be reaching Oxford and which college did you get into??
sourima7
Hi alyssa125uk

I have been offered a place for the MSc in CE for 2010/2011. So i guess we'll be classmates, which college have you been accepted into??

Sorry guys for the late response, it has been very busy weeks for packing up, storage for moving, graduation and traveling with my parents...!! ^_*

Nadaaman, as Dr Holla said they are very friendly indeed, you shouldn't worry so much. Try to be you, confident, and updated with the current issues/news, show why you are passionate about the course/career... And for the fact, you are an embryologist, you shouldn't have anything to worry for the knowledge background, I think not many students applying to this course is a professional, some even comes from different backgrounds ( I meant didn't take much of reproductive or embryology course before).

Sourima, congratulation on your acceptance!! I will be in Oriel College, how abt you? What is your background study and where are you now? I feel so excited and nervous about the course already! ^^

Dr Holla, I am a Biomedical Sciences student just graduated this year in London, but I am originally from Vietnam. As for the IELTS, I don't think that you can switch to the general test as it doesn't prove your academic ability for the course. I understand it's quite hectic to take and improve the score in a short time, but since IELTS allows you to take the test as many time as you want, it's worth it to try your best. Best wishes!
Reply 30
Hey alyssa125uk,

I did my BSc Human Genetics from Newcastle University, was working for a year n half n then applied to this course. I got through St. Hugh's, but I couldnt get accommodation there! So am trying to get accommodation close to the Oxford Fertility Unit, in Cowley. Have you sorted accommodation yet?

What's your name? We can create the facebook group and post the link here or add each other on facebook. My name is Sourima Biswas.
sourima7
Hey alyssa125uk,

I did my BSc Human Genetics from Newcastle University, was working for a year n half n then applied to this course. I got through St. Hugh's, but I couldnt get accommodation there! So am trying to get accommodation close to the Oxford Fertility Unit, in Cowley. Have you sorted accommodation yet?

What's your name? We can create the facebook group and post the link here or add each other on facebook. My name is Sourima Biswas.

Hi Sourima, my name is Thanh Trinh. Alyssa is just my English name. Yeah, facebook group is a good idea; they have it last year too.

I haven't got an officially document about the accommodation to be allocated to. However, Oriel College said they can guarantee accommodation for new students, and I applied quite early so I guess there is no problem about it. I have been told that the new apartment for graduate students of Oriel College is quite close to Oxford Fertility Unit. Oxford is a small city and most students use bike to travel around so I guess I will buy one too!
Reply 32
hey Alyssa,
I have created the facebook broup. Just search for 'MSc Clinical Embryology 2010-2011 @ Oxford' in facebook and you should see a group with the pic of the fertility unit written batch 2010-11. Just send me a request to join and we can communicate that way. Sourima.
Reply 33
Hi again ,
im so happy that you guys created a facebook group . ill send a request to join if you would'nt mind ?!!:yep:
Original post by nadaaman

Original post by nadaaman
Hi again ,
im so happy that you guys created a facebook group . ill send a request to join if you would'nt mind ?!!:yep:

Hey, what is the name of the facebook group? Can everyone join it ?
Reply 35
Original post by katerinamenelaou

Original post by katerinamenelaou
Hey, I have applied for the course and I have been invited to an interview in two weeks (14th of December 2010). Could you give me some tips and advice for the interview? What kind of questions do they usually ask?
Thanks in advance. :smile:

Hi, I have also applied for 2011/2012 and have an interview on 17 December 2010. I would really appreciate any tips or advice anyone has to offer regarding the interview (i.e. what kinds of questions do they ask and what can I do to properly prepare) and the course itself. Loving this site, its so great to hear from people in my shoes :smile:
Thanks
Reply 36
Hi ,

Ive also applied , and my interview is on december 17th. !!! im terrified !
Hey
i am also applying to this program for Sep2011. I'm worried about personal statement.
Also i like the prog but i dont know where would it lead me to, i mean future goal etc?
Reply 38
Original post by UofT_graduate
Hey
i am also applying to this program for Sep2011. I'm worried about personal statement.
Also i like the prog but i dont know where would it lead me to, i mean future goal etc?

Hi

i think this course is basically desgined for those interested in being embryologists or developing a a creer in human reproduction research !

for myself , im already an embryologist , but i need to strengthen an enhance my career by taking this course !! "hopefully" :afraid::dong:
Reply 39
hi again !

how did your interviews go ? i just finished mine ! im reaaly worried , it only took 20 minutes !!! i dunno if thats a good or a bad sgin :s-smilie:

did anyone hear from them after the interview ?

Quick Reply

Latest