The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
OMGWTFBBQ
However, they do not respect Computing (see it the same way as ICT). The only computer-themed A Level they like is Computer Science but they don't expect it as not many schools offer it, you're not at a disadvantage if you don't take it!

That's not quite true. Computing A-level isn't as well-respected as Computer Science, but it's certainly considered more suitable for a CompSci degree than ICT. I think the only unis where they're particularly bitchy about Computing as well as Computer Science are Oxford and Cambridge (and perhaps Warwick and York), but you know what they're like :p: You might not be at a disadvantage if you don't take it, but you're definitely not at a disadvantage if you do take it.
Wait... is Computer Science a separate subject to Computing? :s-smilie:

I thought at A Level the only subjects about computers were ICT and Computing.
Computing is basically ICT right? You might aswell do a simple subject like another science or further maths, you really don't need computing as an a level. Ict qualifications in my opinion aren't very respectable. My uncle owns a ict company with no ict qualifications and does not employ people with ict qualifications because he doesn't think its worth it. I guess computer science is different/more respectable? And try not to do business studies, where I live its for people who failed GCSEs anyway. Basically I'm saying that for as long as you can you should study the most respected simple subjects like maths, sciences, languages etc because it encourages invaluable skilss
Reply 263
FlippinEl
Computing is basically ICT right? You might aswell do a simple subject like another science or further maths, you really don't need computing as an a level. Ict qualifications in my opinion aren't very respectable. My uncle owns a ict company with no ict qualifications and does not employ people with ict qualifications because he doesn't think its worth it. I guess computer science is different/more respectable? And try not to do business studies, where I live its for people who failed GCSEs anyway. Basically I'm saying that for as long as you can you should study the most respected simple subjects like maths, sciences, languages etc because it encourages invaluable skilss

Nah
Computing is more complicated than IT
The content in Computing is closer to the content that you will find in a Computer Science degree than IT
TO OP :I recommend that you switch Business Studies for Further Maths
Computer Science at degree level is based heavily on Maths
What do you want to do at university?
Reply 265
If you do replace it with Biology, that would stand you in good stead for the competitive Medicine degrees (granted, the workload will be a lot).

If however you'd like to do Law, I suggest an essay subject, such as English Literature or History (both respected and would be a break from your other sciences).

Personally, I'd do Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History...that way, you're options are still open to many Uni courses! :yep:
Reply 266
Do you mean I should choose Further Mathematics instead of Business Studies? But I'm confused about the further mathematics, is Further Mathematics much more difficult than Mathematics?
I want to take Literature, History, Maths and Economics

I want to do a Law degree thereafter however I've been told not to take Law at A Level as top uni's prefer it if you don't

My sixth form won't let me take Economics as it clashes with the others

My choices instead of Economics are as follows; Accountancy, English Language, Business, and Law (despite what I've previously said)

Given that I want to do a Law degree, what do I take?
Reply 268
that's bullocks. people in my school has a level subjects that clash but OUR school manages to fix them... um.... don't do law unless you really want to... and forget business... try and pick maths
Oasis Jnr
that's bullocks. people in my school has a level subjects that clash but OUR school manages to fix them... um.... don't do law unless you really want to... and forget business... try and pick maths

I know, but there's nothing I can do really.
I'm definitely taking Maths, Literature and History, I just need a useful alternative to Economics :mad:
Reply 270
joshwaa111
I know, but there's nothing I can do really.
I'm definitely taking Maths, Literature and History, I just need a useful alternative to Economics :mad:

economics would be really useful but perhaps you could add a science there. or perhaps a language? dang-- i feel for you
joshwaa111
I want to take Literature, History, Maths and Economics

I want to do a Law degree thereafter however I've been told not to take Law at A Level as top uni's prefer it if you don't

My sixth form won't let me take Economics as it clashes with the others

My choices instead of Economics are as follows; Accountancy, English Language, Business, and Law (despite what I've previously said)

Given that I want to do a Law degree, what do I take?

Wow those other options are sucky, is there nothing else you could take at all? If it has to be one of those then I would say English language, although you already have English literature so you might get fed-up with all this English. You're right n saying that top universities don;t want you to take A-level law because some of the stuff you learn is either over simplified or plain wrong so they will have to undo what you've been taught.
Duckzilla
Wow those other options are sucky, is there nothing else you could take at all? If it has to be one of those then I would say English language, although you already have English literature so you might get fed-up with all this English. You're right n saying that top universities don;t want you to take A-level law because some of the stuff you learn is either over simplified or plain wrong so they will have to undo what you've been taught.

Well there's also Biology or Chemistry which I could take instead of Economics, I hate them but they're not my worst subjects

Depending on what uni's prefer, I could drop Literature for Language then take Economics?
joshwaa111
Well there's also Biology or Chemistry which I could take instead of Economics, I hate them but they're not my worst subjects

Depending on what uni's prefer, I could drop Literature for Language then take Economics?

For law they love literature, don't drop it! Biology or chemistry would be better than the other options you have but don't take something you hate just to loook good.
Accountancy is definitely a soft option ... or easy A Level to get a good grade in if you think of the flipside!

Law is also advised against at A Level, as you rightly point out.

Business is quite a good option ... if you go into business.
Yet it has its uses - you will learn quite a lot of 'general knowledge' stuff in that too, as well as essay-writing.

I would say definitely to try to take economics above business though (which one would you have to drop in order to be able to do economics?), since it has much more academic use - even though some places consider economics A Level as 'semi-soft' too.
On the off-chance, does your school/college offer the joint economics&business A Level as well?

English language is much easier than english lit to get a good grade in (they're really mean with eng lit), but lit has a lot of academic respect - maybe try to do the "combined" one if they offer it? :s-smilie:
Tbh, it doesn't really matter if you're going to drop it after AS. I'd advise you to take either Business Studies or English Language. If you carry the other 3 (which are strong subjects) on to A2 then you won't have a problem with your UCAS application
I'll show you what they told me this morning
Basically there's 5 blocks, pick one from each block
Block 1: Eng Lit, Media, Maths, Psychology
Block 2: Law, Accountancy, BTEC ICT, Biology, Art, BTEC Music
Block 3: Business, Law, Eng Lang, Chemistry, Design, Textiles, BTEC PE, Health
Block 4: Eng Lit, Media, Physics, Further Maths, Health, Geography, History, BTEC PE
Block 5: Business, Economics, Applied IT, Physics, Psychology, History

I took Geog and History at GCSE, but as you can see the sixth form has totally catered for science students :frown:

I'm so confused
OMGWTFBBQ
B

However, they do not respect Computing (see it the same way as ICT). The only computer-themed A Level they like is Computer Science but they don't expect it as not many schools offer it, you're not at a disadvantage if you don't take it!

Actually that is wrong. For a computer science degree, even Cambridge say that A-level computing is useful to have. The OP wants to do a computer science degree so it is a good thing to take. You are right about it not being respected for other degree courses though. There is no A-level titled 'Computer Science', only 'Computing'.
mardo
Do you mean I should choose Further Mathematics instead of Business Studies? But I'm confused about the further mathematics, is Further Mathematics much more difficult than Mathematics?

Yes you should take further mathematics instead of business studies. It shouldn't be that much more difficult if you're good at maths. Most schools give you more lessons for further mathematics, at my school it is six lessons per week of mathematics for the single maths A-level, and twelve lessons of maths a week for those doing further mathematics, and your school probably does the same, so you will have much more lessons to learn maths n to understand further mathematics.
Hi, for A Level i am intending to do History, English Literature, Law and Sociology. In the future i intend to teach History but i have had many people saying to me that i should broaden my A Level choices becauase if i don't, then i will get bored and grow to hate the subject :eek:

To be honest, this has enoyed me :mad: . I have picked these A Levels because i love History and Literature, and Law and Sociology seems very interesting to me as an individual. I would rather study subjects at A Level that i enjoy, as i will have a better chance of succeeding; in my opinion anyway.

I was just wondering if anyone else had studied one or more of these subjects as a combination, and if they really did grow to hate them.

I will be very gratefull for any opinions :smile:

Thankyou xx