The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

STUDENTCOM Internet - Unite Free package any good?

I'm staying in Spring Gardens, but I guess other Unite halls use the same service, included in rent is a free internet package with student com - Broadband Essential 2Mb.

I know 2mb is quite slow compared to my home connection - can you stream bbc iplayer using it and is actually that fast in practise?

What is the download cap set at?

And finally, is it worth another 60 quid for Broadband 8Mb Upgrade for one term?

I'm opting out of freewire tv as I don't want to pay for a tv license.
Original post by TheRabbit
I know 2mb is quite slow compared to my home connection - can you stream bbc iplayer using it and is actually that fast in practise?

If you're watching BBC iPlayer on your laptop, apparently you need a TV license anyway...
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Original post by HeatherHatter
If you're watching BBC iPlayer on your laptop, apparently you need a TV license anyway...

Not if its afterwards - I meant streaming/downloading programmes once they've happened :smile:
Not if its afterwards - I meant streaming/downloading programmes once they've happened :smile:

Really? :s-smilie: I thought that still counted as TV?
Reply 4
Original post by HeatherHatter
Really? :s-smilie: I thought that still counted as TV?

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_tv_progs/tvlicence
I'm so happy now :biggrin: I thought I was going to have to miss out on all my favourite programs while I was at uni, or fork out for a license...

I don't understand internet speeds I'm afraid :frown: but my internet (BT Broadband) is unbearably slow, yet I can still use iPlayer and YouTube :smile:
Reply 6
2mb is enough for SD, but not enough for HD. Although I recommend that you go for higher speeds. I don't recommend forking out overpriced 8mb package. I think you should ask if you could use external ISP.
Reply 7
Original post by Rtcw
2mb is enough for SD, but not enough for HD. Although I recommend that you go for higher speeds. I don't recommend forking out overpriced 8mb package. I think you should ask if you could use external ISP.

Thanks - I'll find out if I can and have a look at costs :smile:
Reply 8
I'm staying in Spring Gardens, but I guess other Unite halls use the same service, included in rent is a free internet package with student com - Broadband Essential 2Mb.

What is the download cap set at?

And finally, is it worth another 60 quid for Broadband 8Mb Upgrade for one term?

I'm opting out of freewire tv as I don't want to pay for a tv license.

My friend stayed there last year, and in spring gardens its plugged straight into your laptop (or in his flats it was anyway). There didnt seem to be any download limit. As far as speeds are concerned it was alright, better than being in hillhead. My friend played WOW and other mmorpg games, and they all worked fine with little lag. to watch bbc iplayer and other tv shows online was fine and a few seconds buffering time.
Reply 9
Original post by Laupro
My friend stayed there last year, and in spring gardens its plugged straight into your laptop (or in his flats it was anyway). There didnt seem to be any download limit. As far as speeds are concerned it was alright, better than being in hillhead. My friend played WOW and other mmorpg games, and they all worked fine with little lag. to watch bbc iplayer and other tv shows online was fine and a few seconds buffering time.

That's right, the internet connection is actually pretty fast, the only problem is that it's only in your room and you can't move around the flat with it (being a cable connection afterall). No complaints here though.
(edited 12 years ago)
you guys got lucky, my connection in nottingham is shocking :frown:
Reply 11
Hey, i am going into an aberdeen unite accomadation later this year, and was wondering how studentcom works? Can we still access facebook, skype, msn, youtue etc? And normal websites?
Is there any other option? Where you can bring your own cable?
Any restrictions etc? - i know about the prime time one, but are we able to access itunes to download songs etc?
Is it conpletly free? Any hidden costs?

It would be a big help if you reply:smile:
Also heard it was getting upgraded to 4mb?
Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by hayleymcm
Hey, i am going into an aberdeen unite accomadation later this year, and was wondering how studentcom works? Can we still access facebook, skype, msn, youtue etc? And normal websites?
Is there any other option? Where you can bring your own cable?
Any restrictions etc? - i know about the prime time one, but are we able to access itunes to download songs etc?
Is it conpletly free? Any hidden costs?

It would be a big help if you reply:smile:
Also heard it was getting upgraded to 4mb?
Thanks

Internet is normal internet like you'd have at home, they provide the cable and there are faster options and wifi options. I have no complaints with the speed - its better then resnet in the Aberdeen uni halls and probably better than at home for me. I don't think there are any usage limits. Wi fi might be good but depends how much it is/now much you want it/how much you'd use it. Student COM is the only internet provider you can use as far as I know. No hidden costs to the free package which is what I use - the bog standard wired internet connection.

Quick Reply

Latest