The Student Room Group

watching skygo at uni??

Hiya, I pay for Sky at home with sports and stuff, and with that they give you the SkyGo service for free meaning that you can watch sky wherever on your laptop or mobile... was wondering though if this was still the case at uni? Because i already pay for Sky I'l be irritated if they're making me pay more!

Thanks everyone will appreciate all feedback :smile:
Reply 1
Yes you can watch it at uni. I do.

Also, you don't need a TV license to watch Sky Go. But you do for everything else.
Reply 2
Original post by lloydy-boy69
Hiya, I pay for Sky at home with sports and stuff, and with that they give you the SkyGo service for free meaning that you can watch sky wherever on your laptop or mobile... was wondering though if this was still the case at uni? Because i already pay for Sky I'l be irritated if they're making me pay more!

Thanks everyone will appreciate all feedback :smile:

Yes, you can! Just log on to the Sky Go website and you can use it from anywhere. It's what Sky Go is designed for, watching Sky whilst you are away from home, and there is no limit on how much you can watch (although there is a limited selection of only 32 channels, so basically you are watching free view!)

Also, you don't need a TV license to watch Sky Go. But you do for everything else.

I've done a bit of research into this and found out that if your laptop is plugged into the mains whilst you are watching Live TV via the internet, this includes Sky Go, then you need a TV Licence. If you watch Sky Go on a device that is running from it's own internal power source, or if you are watching programmes that aren't being shown live (i.e. catch up service on Sky Go, 4OD, iPlayer) then you won't need a TV licence.

I don't really understand how they would be able to tell if you are watching TV with your laptop plugged in or not but just saying, those are the official rules :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by nickth
Yes, you can! Just log on to the Sky Go website and you can use it from anywhere. It's what Sky Go is designed for, watching Sky whilst you are away from home, and there is no limit on how much you can watch (although there is a limited selection of only 32 channels, so basically you are watching free view!)

I've done a bit of research into this and found out that if your laptop is plugged into the mains whilst you are watching Live TV via the internet, this includes Sky Go, then you need a TV Licence. If you watch Sky Go on a device that is running from it's own internal power source, or if you are watching programmes that aren't being shown live (i.e. catch up service on Sky Go, 4OD, iPlayer) then you won't need a TV licence.

I don't really understand how they would be able to tell if you are watching TV with your laptop plugged in or not but just saying, those are the official rules :smile:

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, if i watch "Anytime" TV like sports and whatnot, it's allowed, along with catch up services such as 4OD, itvplayer and BBC iPlayer, but you can't really watch Live TV??? is that the general jist of things???

ALSO: can i still watch the big bang theory on websites like 'cucirca'??? I know it's arguably illegal but can i still watch it this way???

cheeerz.
Reply 4
Original post by DLJ
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, if i watch "Anytime" TV like sports and whatnot, it's allowed, along with catch up services such as 4OD, itvplayer and BBC iPlayer, but you can't really watch Live TV??? is that the general jist of things???

ALSO: can i still watch the big bang theory on websites like 'cucirca'??? I know it's arguably illegal but can i still watch it this way???

cheeerz.

If you are watching a programme that is being broadcast on a TV channel and you have the laptop (or other viewing device) plugged into the mains then you will need a TV licence. With catch up services (and, don't take my word on this one, Anytime) then, because it's not being broadcast on a TV channel, you won't need a licence.

If you let it run off the battery then you can do what the hell you want!

I'm not really familiar with 'cucirca', I'm guessing it's off the radar so it's not regulated by the people who deal with TV licences, but your university network provider might catch on if you are illegally downloading things using their internet connection.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by nickth
If you are watching a programme that is being broadcast on a TV channel and you have the laptop (or other viewing device) plugged into the mains then you will need a TV licence. With catch up services (and, don't take my word on this one, Anytime) then, because it's not being broadcast on a TV channel, you won't need a licence.

If you let it run off the battery then you can do what the hell you want!

I'm not really familiar with 'cucirca', I'm guessing it's off the radar so it's not regulated by the people who deal with TV licences, but your university network provider might catch on if you are illegally downloading things using their internet connection.

Stupid!!!! so i'm gonna have to be a sneaky steve and pause it when my battery's gonna run out :colone:

And cucirca 'streams' TV, so i'm not actually downloading anything i don't think. Obviously i'm download packets and whatnot from the website, but does this still count?!
Reply 6
Original post by nickth

I've done a bit of research into this and found out that if your laptop is plugged into the mains whilst you are watching Live TV via the internet, this includes Sky Go, then you need a TV Licence.

Really? My mum phoned up Sky to ask about this before I went to uni and they said I didn't need a TV liscence.
Reply 7
Original post by Kronic
Really? My mum phoned up Sky to ask about this before I went to uni and they said I didn't need a TV liscence.

Yeah, Sky told me this as well.

This is a link to the TV License website

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1/#Box1

Scroll down to where it says 'You'll need a TV license if...' and it tells you you'll need one for watching '.. programmes you watch online at the same time as they’re being shown on TV, for example live sport.'
Reply 8
Original post by DLJ
Stupid!!!! so i'm gonna have to be a sneaky steve and pause it when my battery's gonna run out :colone:

And cucirca 'streams' TV, so i'm not actually downloading anything i don't think. Obviously i'm download packets and whatnot from the website, but does this still count?!

If it streams TV, then no it's not allowed. However, the catch-up services stream programmes that have been on in the past, you don't have to download anything for it to be okay
Reply 9
No one takes the tv license seriously
Reply 10
Original post by nickth
Yeah, Sky told me this as well.

This is a link to the TV License website

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1/#Box1

Scroll down to where it says 'You'll need a TV license if...' and it tells you you'll need one for watching '.. programmes you watch online at the same time as they’re being shown on TV, for example live sport.'

Oh. :s-smilie:

No matter, I have a license anyway. :smile:
Sorry for the 'resurrection' but I have the same question to ask. I am paying for Sky at my parents house (well they are) and I'm currently in uni accommodation. I would like to use Sky Go but don't know whether I'm only eligible to watch anytime+? I would like to watch the normal channels that they provide but I don't want to buy a TV license, is this all right? I use a laptop which pretty much is always running off its own internal battery, but I do use an ethernet cable instead of wifi, does this make a difference?
Original post by ViralRiver

Sorry for the 'resurrection' but I have the same question to ask. I am paying for Sky at my parents house (well they are) and I'm currently in uni accommodation. I would like to use Sky Go but don't know whether I'm only eligible to watch anytime+? I would like to watch the normal channels that they provide but I don't want to buy a TV license, is this all right? I use a laptop which pretty much is always running off its own internal battery, but I do use an ethernet cable instead of wifi, does this make a difference?

As long as you don't stream something live, you'll be fine!
What are the rules on pausing said live content, then resuming 2 seconds later?
What are the rules on pausing said live content, then resuming 2 seconds later?

As far as I know, if the show is on tv at the same time as you're watching it, you'd need a licence. You can only watch it online once it has finished on tv, hence you don't need a licence for catch up services.
they aint gonna catch u, man up
just wondering if it is the same with watching sky go on my xbox360 do i need a TV licence then or it is the same as using your laptop ??

Quick Reply

Latest