The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
Original post by Like_A_G6
They then wait until mid January for Oxbridge to release their results and those who get in, Imperial accept that they'd firm them and decline the Imperial offer and those who don't get into oxbridge but received an offer off Imperial may firm them

I had my engineering interview at Pembroke on Monday, and despite it going very well, I've always said to myself that I'd have a really hard time choosing between a Cambridge and Imperial offer if I were to get both. I hope they don't just reject me if I was to end up getting an offer at Cambridge; I do really want to go there and haven't decided between the two, one of which will hopefully become my firm.

I realise it would be weird to decline an offer from Cambridge, but I do really want to go to Imperial. Ahhhh I hope things work out.

Thanks for clearing up the situation. :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
I wish I had a skype interview with Imperial, instead of a simple exercise :/
Reply 2162
Sent my application of October 15th... nothing but an acknowledgement. Should I be worried?
Original post by RIHD
Sent my application of October 15th... nothing but an acknowledgement. Should I be worried?

No.
Original post by richf94
I had my engineering interview at Pembroke on Monday, and despite it going very well, I've always said to myself that I'd have a really hard time choosing between a Cambridge and Imperial offer if I were to get both. I hope they don't just reject me if I was to end up getting an offer at Cambridge; I do really want to go there and haven't decided between the two, one of which will hopefully become my firm.

I realise it would be weird to decline an offer from Cambridge, but I do really want to go to Imperial. Ahhhh I hope things work out.

It's the same thing for me (except that I applied for Computer Science and applied to Emmanuel instead of Pembroke). Both Imperial and Cambridge are equally great and I really like both. However, how can one even reject an offer from Cambridge?!!!! (Not that I have an offer from Cambridge...YET :wink: but I do have one from Imperial :cool: )

Well, guess we'll just have to wait till January...
Reply 2165
I
They then wait until mid January for Oxbridge to release their results and those who get in, Imperial accept that they'd firm them and decline the Imperial offer and those who don't get into oxbridge but received an offer off Imperial may firm them before mid January.

The Oxbridge bit is definitely not true as universities have no knowledge of your other choices and certainly not of your other offers. This rumour is has been around for years and is an excuse used by people who don't like the fact they didn't get an offer.
Original post by Quoi?
The Oxbridge bit is definitely not true as universities have no knowledge of your other choices and certainly not of your other offers. This rumour is has been around for years and is an excuse used by people who don't like the fact they didn't get an offer.

I know that but say a candidate who got into oxbridge received an offer from Imperial of higher or equivalent grades that oxbridge require, they'd firm oxbridge and would decline Imperial's offer as it makes no sense to have Imperial as a back up if the oxbridge offer is identical or lower for engineering. Most people who get into Oxbridge get a reply from all 5 universities they apply for before February begins and so they would simply firm oxbridge and insure a uni that requires lower entry requirements and reject Imperial's offer. At this stage Imperial will know that the offer has been declined by the candidate. There are people (like myself) who'd firm Imperial over oxbridge but the majority would choose oxbridge.
Original post by richf94

yes! same, but since my interview at clare i started really liking cambridge so i dont know now

I shall shed light on the mech eng situation. This may not be true, but this is what I was told by a friend who's Dad graduated from mech eng at Imperial in the mid 80s.

They have an interview date in October (selected few), November (larger group), December (larger group), January, February and March (Latter three are much larger groups than in Oct, Nov and Dec). In the first three interview sessions, they aim to interview everyone who has got an A* in maths with a good personal statement, people who already have met the entry requirements and people who Imperial would love to give an offer to (many A*/As at GCSE and straight As at AS). They then wait until mid January for Oxbridge to release their results and those who get in, Imperial accept that they'd firm them and decline the Imperial offer and those who don't get into oxbridge but received an offer off Imperial may firm them before mid January. After this, they see how many spaces remain and rank your application from strongest to weakest.

Next step is to issue the strongest of applicants in the list with an interview in late January, and make offers to most of them. Next they issue interviews to the next strongest batch of students in February. Finally they issue interviews to the final batch of students in March (number changes depending on how many offers were given out previously). The remaining applicants will not receive an offer for mech eng. These applications are divided into two groups - those that they think would benefit from a degree from Imperial, and those who'll benefit from an engineering degree. The latter lot are rejected as it'll be in the best interests of the student. The first lot of applications are sent off to other departments who consider these and give offers out for that course respectively. The rest who remain get rejections in the final week of March or the first week of April (Day after Jan exams results day for me).

i really hope that this isn't the case cos i'm cambridge and 4 predicted A*'s so if it is i see a rejection comeing :eek: :cry:
Reply 2168
Original post by {Unregistered}
It's the same thing for me (except that I applied for Computer Science and applied to Emmanuel instead of Pembroke). Both Imperial and Cambridge are equally great and I really like both. However, how can one even reject an offer from Cambridge?!!!! (Not that I have an offer from Cambridge...YET :wink: but I do have one from Imperial :cool: )

Well, guess we'll just have to wait till January...

Entirely possible, it's not unheard of - and it shouldn't be majorly surprising. I know some Maths freshies who did, purely because they felt the course and environment at Imperial was better (suited.) A good few people lucky enough to get offers from both do end up picking Imps for a myriad of reasons. (Heck, one of my good friends and fellow members in Union council got an offer from Princeton! He's now here happily doing Mech Eng.)

I can't really say, I applied to Oxford...had I received an offer from them, I'm not sure I would've gone, either (and even if I had, that would've been after a LOT of thinking.) I remember enjoying Imperial a lot more, and Oxford's environment being rather...er, "meh" - my vibe of the place wasn't amazing.

Not to say I don't believe that Oxford's a great institution, it is - but looking back, Imperial's a lot better for my course (I specialize from the word "go" - which is up my alley; maybe others might prefer general engineering for the first two years.) To each their own, as they say.
Reply 2169
Did anyone get a reply for chemical engineering?
Yah. If I'm going to get an offer from Cam then I'll still have to consider a lot of things. I prefer living in London to Cam. The tuition fee of Imperial made me worried a bit though...

Original post by ryda
i got an offer from imperial for medicine

That's awesome, how was the interview?
Reply 2172
Hi there... :h:

I just got an offer from Imperial for JMC....Woot Woot:banana2:.

But the conditions are quite harsh. 5's in 5 of my AP's. (CS/PHY/CHEM/CALC/ECO).:eek:

ohmygod a fellow AP student
I didn't think I'd meet one on tsr :wink:
Reply 2173
Original post by Beth1234
Hello there!

I haven't found a thread for those of us who plan to apply for 2012 yet, so I thought I'd create one. It is, of course, still early days yet (though last years applicant thread was created in May...)!

Discuss courses, AS results, pre-application anxiety, conditional offer anxiety, post-exam anxiety, cakes (:rolleyes:) etc.

Below is a list of 2012 Applicants. Please feel free to add yourself to The Stalking Page as well. :smile:

If you want to be on "The List" quote this post with:

Username: [your username]
Subject: [the subject you're applying for]

(If you do change your mind and want to be taken off "The List", let me know!)

2012 List of Applicants for Entry!

Courtesy of arianex, below is a list of 'advisors' who have contributed to the thread in many ways :smile: If you have any questions, just quote or PM them, and I'm sure they'll be happy to help!

List of Active Awesome Advisors!

And finally, GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! :biggrin:

I'm applying for Computing and ISE
I got a conditional offer from Imperial - I need to take the STEP. Still waiting until I know the outcome of my Oxford interview... what is the STEP like, for those who have taken it before?
Original post by Thatwasfun
I got a conditional offer from Imperial - I need to take the STEP. Still waiting until I know the outcome of my Oxford interview... what is the STEP like, for those who have taken it before?

Not taken it before but you can find past papers here: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/step/Test+Preparation

It is very challenging and I would go as far to say that STEP is the hardest possible requirement universities give (e.g. more so than A*A* in Maths and FM)
Original post by Johnson Ruan
Yah. If I'm going to get an offer from Cam then I'll still have to consider a lot of things. I prefer living in London to Cam. The tuition fee of Imperial made me worried a bit though...

Yeah, London seems like a much better place to live. However, judging by how the interview went I don't think I'll have to make a choice :P
Original post by ghilee
ohmygod a fellow AP student
I didn't think I'd meet one on tsr :wink:

Hi.... :smile: Yup, there would be, considering the fact this is a UK based forum for students who are mainly applying to universities in the UK, a country in which AP's are usually unheard of. :wink:

You are applying to Imperial too? If yes, for which subject? And which AP's are you doing and what are your predictions?
Reply 2178
Hi.... :smile: Yup, there would be, considering the fact this is a UK based forum for students who are mainly applying to universities in the UK, a country in which AP's are usually unheard of. :wink:

You are applying to Imperial too? If yes, for which subject? And which AP's are you doing and what are your predictions?

It says that you've applied for ISE in the OP, have you heard back from them?
Original post by M.R.
It says that you've applied for ISE in the OP, have you heard back from them?

Nothing really yet.

Just got an email from their UG Admissions Tutor saying that I'll only get a decision from them by the end of February since they want to give each application individual consideration.

So I guess that's it.