The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Rejected from Liverpool

I checked my emails today, and looks like Liverpool are "not able" to offer me a place on their course (Tropical disease biology). I'm quite upset, because I meet all of their entry requirements. They're offering a foundation degree instead, and Carmel college. To be honest, I think I'm too intelligent to do a foundation degree. I think it's either two things; I'm doing a BTEC (for which they want DDD) but am achieving D*D*D* which is the highest possible mark, or the fact that I've got ME/CFS but surely that would be discrimination.

I'm just not sure what to do. Do I leave it, and they enter me for foundation degree (even though I don't want to do it), or phone or email? It's really upsetting to be rejected :frown:
Reply 1
Yes. It's the maximum grade achievable, and only by getting a distinction in every one of the 18 units.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
poor you!!! have you applied anywhere else? i'm still waiting to hear from liverpool for the bioveterinary course i applied in October! i really just want to know now!!! ARGH!
Reply 3
I have a friend who applied at Liverpool for dentistry and she still hasn't heard back either! Yes, I've applied for 4 others (the rest are biomedical science) and received one offer, but I still haven't decided which route I'd rather go down. I loved the idea of going on to research in the Tropical Medicine School, but looks like I can't anymore.
Reply 4
hm, I dont think it'd be because they're discriminating...

Are you completely sure you don't want to do the foundation course?
it doesn't necessarily mean you're not intelligent, it'll just give you a firmer understanding of the basics?

If you really don't want to do it then just send them an email
Highest BTEC grade :yes:

Original post by K1994
I checked my emails today, and looks like Liverpool are "not able" to offer me a place on their course (Tropical disease biology). I'm quite upset, because I meet all of their entry requirements. They're offering a foundation degree instead, and Carmel college. To be honest, I think I'm too intelligent to do a foundation degree. I think it's either two things; I'm doing a BTEC (for which they want DDD) but am achieving D*D*D* which is the highest possible mark, or the fact that I've got ME/CFS but surely that would be discrimination.

I'm just not sure what to do. Do I leave it, and they enter me for foundation degree (even though I don't want to do it), or phone or email? It's really upsetting to be rejected :frown:

Don't do a course you don't want to do.

Have you asked them for feedback?
Reply 6
No, I don't want to do a foundation course because I don't want to be stuck with people like I am now. Not to mention another £9,000 out of thin air when I meet all the necessary requirements, so I don't actually require it. No, I only got the rejection today so haven't had a chance to phone them yet. I might do so on Monday though.
Original post by K1994
No, I don't want to do a foundation course because I don't want to be stuck with people like I am now. Not to mention another £9,000 out of thin air when I meet all the necessary requirements, so I don't actually require it. No, I only got the rejection today so haven't had a chance to phone them yet. I might do so on Monday though.

Personal statement, reference and/or previous academic performance can all be reasons for rejection - and it does not necessarily have to be that, say, your personal statement was bad, only that it didn't suit what liverpool was looking for. :smile:
Reply 8
Maybe you didn't have as good a personal statement as other people? I doubt it's discrimination over chronic illness.
If the only thing they said was 'we can't offer you a place' just e-mail them or call them to see why, and then explain relevent work experience and your grades.
Maybe they made a mistake, I've seen a few people on here say Universities have done that.
Reply 9
I thought maybe it could have been because they're worried about me being immunocompromised, but that doesn't really make a lot of sense. I thought my personal statement was good enough. I obviously can't do any sport or hobbies because I'm constantly exhausted, but I'm a pianist, photographer, artist and have lots of personal qualities. I'm quite bummed about it to be honest.

Think I'll ring them and ask why though. Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by K1994
I thought maybe it could have been because they're worried about me being immunocompromised, but that doesn't really make a lot of sense. I thought my personal statement was good enough. I obviously can't do any sport or hobbies because I'm constantly exhausted, but I'm a pianist, photographer, artist and have lots of personal qualities. I'm quite bummed about it to be honest.

These things don't really count for much at all :nah:
Reply 11
I wasn't sure what else to put, but quite a few lecturers told me it was good. I wrote about my love for science, what experiments I'd done that were interesting and where I wanted to go in the future (Helping in clinics in disadvantaged countries). Still though, I guess BTEC looks bad compared to A-Levels.
Reply 12
Yeah, it doesn't rely just on academic achievements. Maybe your personal statement didn't seem enthusiastic or just didn't make you seem like a good candidate. Maybe they'd prefer different subjects, or a levels. Maybe they want work experience. A million of reasons why.
Reply 13
Yeah, I know :frown: I've decided to just ring and ask. There's a million and one reasons, so I should probably stop trying to guess and just attempt to ask lol
Reply 14
Original post by K1994

Foundation years are generally a lot cheaper than the usual fees, so it won't be £9,000, probably half of that. If you want to do the course the foundation year leads to that badly, then I'd say just suck it up and do the foundation year. My boyfriend is having to do a foundation year to get into engineering, and in many ways it puts you in better stead as you have the basics firmly in your mind. Think about it thoroughly, not just 'i dont wanna do foundation year', think of what it leads to after as well.
Reply 15
As much as it may be distressing to be rejected it also isn't the end of the world so instead of dwelling on this just ignore it and look forward to the future.
What's your BTEC in? A foundation course isn't usually offered because they don't think you're clever enough (or well enough), but because they think your current education isn't adequate preparation for the course. They may argue that it doesn't teach enough academic science to be ready for the course. Definitely worth a phone call to ask them what the grounds were for offering a foundation rather than BSc, although its not in itself unusual to be turned down even though you meet the base requirements because most university courses are oversubscribed.
Reply 17
Well, I emailed them and after quite a lengthy wait I got answered. My course involved too much forensic science. I had two biology, 4/5 forensics and the rest were chemistry. Anyway, I brought this to the attention of our course leader who had never heard of someone being rejected for that but it obviously can happen. I agree with Liverpool's choice, but think it is very unfair of college to not acknowledge this properly (as we do not get to chose the units) and carry on with completely irrelevant units (Forensic photography springs to mind..)

Quick Reply

Latest