Nice! Which suburbs? :biggrin:
Reply 403
Original post by ifstatement

lower mainland... west side
Reply 404

Well... I just say Vancouver since it's more known but I actually live on the border of Burnaby and New Westminster. I also hate New West so I never want to say I'm from there, lol.

How about you?
Hello :smile: Vancouver is really nice, I love it there.
Original post by Fumi
Well... I just say Vancouver since it's more known but I actually live on the border of Burnaby and New Westminster. I also hate New West so I never want to say I'm from there, lol.

How about you?

Yeah I have not been to New Westminster but heard stories from friends who live there of how its populated by the elderly :tongue: So I'm guessing you live right by Metrotown?

I used to live in Kits but moved out to Capitol hill by SFU for the time being temporary where its lower rent. It's ok I guess though since it's 20 mins bus to downtown but it does get awfully dull and grey here on rainy days. But that's ok I guess since I try going up grouse Mountain when that usually happens :tongue:
Reply 407
Yeah I have not been to New Westminster but heard stories from friends who live there of how its populated by the elderly :tongue: So I'm guessing you live right by Metrotown?

I used to live in Kits but moved out to Capitol hill by SFU for the time being temporary where its lower rent. It's ok I guess though since it's 20 mins bus to downtown but it does get awfully dull and grey here on rainy days. But that's ok I guess since I try going up grouse Mountain when that usually happens :tongue:

I live 2 skytrain stops away from Metrotown. Well my house is anyway as I'm in England right now. People who have told you it's populated with elderly forgot to mention that there's a bunch of crazy crackhead's there as well which make living there horrible. I wish I was raised up closer to Vancouver. Well I did live in Whistler for quite some time as well which I sort of miss.

You like studying at SFU?
Original post by Fumi
I live 2 skytrain stops away from Metrotown. Well my house is anyway as I'm in England right now. People who have told you it's populated with elderly forgot to mention that there's a bunch of crazy crackhead's there as well which make living there horrible. I wish I was raised up closer to Vancouver. Well I did live in Whistler for quite some time as well which I sort of miss.

You like studying at SFU?

I don't study at SFU and kinda don't want to. The atmosphere there is depressing lol I prefer UBC.

With the crackheads though that's pretty much all of Vancouver. Maybe not so much in North Van or the Westend though.
Reply 409
Hi guys

I'm an Aussie applying for the LLM at Toronto/Cambridge/UCL/Osgoode and the BCL at Oxford. I just got an offer for the LLM at Toronto, but to accept the funding I'll have to tell them before I hear from Oxford, and possibly before I hear from Cambridge. I want to do my SJD/PhD in Canada, but I also kind of wanted the Oxbridge experience for a year. The Toronto program looks really good to me, and I like the look of UoT generally - but it's not Oxford/Cambridge, you know?

Anyone out there from Toronto/familiar with UoT that can confirm/deny my first impression of the uni/city/Canada in general? Any advice/comment would be much appreciated.

FYI I've never been to Canada or the UK (and I've never seen snow, so Canada gets extra points for being cold :smile: )

Good luck to those of you applying
Original post by Dubie
Hi guys

I'm an Aussie applying for the LLM at Toronto/Cambridge/UCL/Osgoode and the BCL at Oxford. I just got an offer for the LLM at Toronto, but to accept the funding I'll have to tell them before I hear from Oxford, and possibly before I hear from Cambridge. I want to do my SJD/PhD in Canada, but I also kind of wanted the Oxbridge experience for a year. The Toronto program looks really good to me, and I like the look of UoT generally - but it's not Oxford/Cambridge, you know?

Anyone out there from Toronto/familiar with UoT that can confirm/deny my first impression of the uni/city/Canada in general? Any advice/comment would be much appreciated.

FYI I've never been to Canada or the UK (and I've never seen snow, so Canada gets extra points for being cold :smile: )

Good luck to those of you applying

I almost attended U of T (decided on somewhere else), and have friends who have been there. University of Toronto is one of the most competitive law programs in Canada - so congratulations for getting in! Toronto is a very large city, with multiple neighbourhoods that feel rather different from each other. There's a diverse "international" community, and consequently neighbourhoods with "bubbles" of people who ethnically identify with each other (but then there are places where people could identify as anything and live alongside each other.) U of T campus is quite large, and located to the north of the financial district, with several places nearby that you can peruse, including the Annex, which is a popular student destination on the weekends especially for its bars and restaurants. While people from outside of Toronto generally dislike it (it's similar to the London, UK effect), Torontonians are, for big city people, generally likeable. The transit system is reliable (though people complain about it bitterly, anyway). The libraries are rather good at U of T, and if you get yourself out there you shouldn't have any difficulties meeting people (especially in Law; undergrads have a hard time because there are so many of them.) To get funding from U of T is like squeezing blood from a stone - again congrats! Really, as a Canadian, as far as I can tell, it's a well-regarded international program and people have heard of the university elsewhere. It's one of the oldest universities in Canada - one of "the Old Four" (University of Toronto, McGill, Queen's and University of Western Ontario).

It is cold. It can get very cold - not as cold as other places in Canada, but aside from this winter which has been unseasonably warm (hasn't dropped below -10C), the temperature can drop to as low as -40C with windchill (which is a factor here.) The temperature variant is therefore -40C to +43C in the summer. My advice: get a really good coat and waterproof boots, and don't forget your shorts and sandals.

Hopefully this helps some. Any other questions, just ask!
Reply 411
Thanks very much for your response - it's very helpful. Toronto sounds like a great place to live (especially coming from my rather sleepy city), and every Canadian person I've encountered whilst sorting this out (now including yourself) has been really lovely.
I received an offer from Cambridge on Monday, and once I got over the whole 'wooo Cambridge likes me!' thing, I wasn't nearly as excited about that as I was my Toronto offer (which surprised me), so I'm thinking Toronto it is.
Thanks for your help

Original post by caligulina
I almost attended U of T (decided on somewhere else), and have friends who have been there. University of Toronto is one of the most competitive law programs in Canada - so congratulations for getting in! Toronto is a very large city, with multiple neighbourhoods that feel rather different from each other. There's a diverse "international" community, and consequently neighbourhoods with "bubbles" of people who ethnically identify with each other (but then there are places where people could identify as anything and live alongside each other.) U of T campus is quite large, and located to the north of the financial district, with several places nearby that you can peruse, including the Annex, which is a popular student destination on the weekends especially for its bars and restaurants. While people from outside of Toronto generally dislike it (it's similar to the London, UK effect), Torontonians are, for big city people, generally likeable. The transit system is reliable (though people complain about it bitterly, anyway). The libraries are rather good at U of T, and if you get yourself out there you shouldn't have any difficulties meeting people (especially in Law; undergrads have a hard time because there are so many of them.) To get funding from U of T is like squeezing blood from a stone - again congrats! Really, as a Canadian, as far as I can tell, it's a well-regarded international program and people have heard of the university elsewhere. It's one of the oldest universities in Canada - one of "the Old Four" (University of Toronto, McGill, Queen's and University of Western Ontario).

It is cold. It can get very cold - not as cold as other places in Canada, but aside from this winter which has been unseasonably warm (hasn't dropped below -10C), the temperature can drop to as low as -40C with windchill (which is a factor here.) The temperature variant is therefore -40C to +43C in the summer. My advice: get a really good coat and waterproof boots, and don't forget your shorts and sandals.

Hopefully this helps some. Any other questions, just ask!
Original post by Dubie
Thanks very much for your response - it's very helpful. Toronto sounds like a great place to live (especially coming from my rather sleepy city), and every Canadian person I've encountered whilst sorting this out (now including yourself) has been really lovely.
I received an offer from Cambridge on Monday, and once I got over the whole 'wooo Cambridge likes me!' thing, I wasn't nearly as excited about that as I was my Toronto offer (which surprised me), so I'm thinking Toronto it is.
Thanks for your help

Congrats! I'm just curious; what is your reason for choosing Toronto over Cambridge? If Cambridge wanted me, I would trip over myself running there (or swimming across the Atlantic in my case).
Reply 413
Original post by sumergocogito
Congrats! I'm just curious; what is your reason for choosing Toronto over Cambridge? If Cambridge wanted me, I would trip over myself running there (or swimming across the Atlantic in my case).

I've wanted to go to Cambridge/Oxford for a really long time, which is why I've applied, but my main research interests (what I wrote on for my LLB honours, what I plan to research for my PhD/SJD) are in an area of law that is done very well in Canada (better than in Australia, for a variety of reasons) but that doesn't exist in the UK. If I went to Cambridge (or Oxford, if I get in - yet to be revealed) I'd look more broadly at legal history/theory/public law, but in Canada I can zero straight in on my main interest.

Also, I plan to do my PhD/SJD in Canada (or Australia, if I decide I'd rather be less impoverished whilst studying) so I figure I would get a better idea of where in Canada I'd like to do it, and who I'd like to be supervised by, and even whether I'd be better off going back to Australia, if I've done my LLM in Canada. Even if I could get into Oxford/Cambridge for a DPhil/PhD following my LLM there'd be nobody to supervise me (except maybe 1 guy at Cambridge). This is less of a problem for the LLM/BCL because it's wholly taught, but thinking ahead, I think Canada is perhaps the more sensible choice.

Also, as an Aussie, I'm legally and culturally required to adore Canada and all Canadians.

But it is proving very hard to say no to the whole Oxbridge experience thing, even if Toronto is the more sensible choice. I've never been all that sensible :smile:
If you're very concerned, you could always email the professors you'd like to work with and ask them what they think; it's ballsy, but they'll help you generally, as everyone will have been where you are now. :smile:
Original post by Dubie
I've wanted to go to Cambridge/Oxford for a really long time, which is why I've applied, but my main research interests (what I wrote on for my LLB honours, what I plan to research for my PhD/SJD) are in an area of law that is done very well in Canada (better than in Australia, for a variety of reasons) but that doesn't exist in the UK. If I went to Cambridge (or Oxford, if I get in - yet to be revealed) I'd look more broadly at legal history/theory/public law, but in Canada I can zero straight in on my main interest.

Also, I plan to do my PhD/SJD in Canada (or Australia, if I decide I'd rather be less impoverished whilst studying) so I figure I would get a better idea of where in Canada I'd like to do it, and who I'd like to be supervised by, and even whether I'd be better off going back to Australia, if I've done my LLM in Canada. Even if I could get into Oxford/Cambridge for a DPhil/PhD following my LLM there'd be nobody to supervise me (except maybe 1 guy at Cambridge). This is less of a problem for the LLM/BCL because it's wholly taught, but thinking ahead, I think Canada is perhaps the more sensible choice.

Also, as an Aussie, I'm legally and culturally required to adore Canada and all Canadians.

But it is proving very hard to say no to the whole Oxbridge experience thing, even if Toronto is the more sensible choice. I've never been all that sensible :smile:

Hard to be sensible when such a catch is knocking at your door. I know that I would be torn. Yet, you seem very confident and reasoned in your choice. With that kind of conviction you are bound to succeed.

If you don't mind me asking; what is this specific area of law that you want to research? Why is it so geographiclly and university specific? I am planning to study law myself, so I'd like to gain what knowledge and insight I can from those who have walked the path.

And we're very flattered. Canadians love Aussies too!
Reply 416
what is this specific area of law that you want to research? Why is it so geographiclly and university specific? I am planning to study law myself, so I'd like to gain what knowledge and insight I can from those who have walked the path.

Aboriginal title (called native title in Australia) is my major focus. Not much of that going on in the UK for obvious reasons. :smile: But I'd also like to dabble in Indigenous sovereignty/constitutional issues, and there's quite a lot of action in that area in Canada. We're not there yet in Aus but we'll get there before too long, so it'd be good to have my head around it.

Good luck with your law study plans - are you wanting to study in the UK or Canada (or the US maybe)? I really enjoyed my law degree (hence the further study) and I hope you do too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dubie
Aboriginal title (called native title in Australia) is my major focus. Not much of that going on in the UK for obvious reasons. :smile: But I'd also like to dabble in Indigenous sovereignty/constitutional issues, and there's quite a lot of action in that area in Canada. We're not there yet in Aus but we'll get there before too long, so it'd be good to have my head around it.

Good luck with your law study plans - are you wanting to study in the UK or Canada (or the US maybe)? I really enjoyed my law degree (hence the further study) and I hope you do too.

You sound really passionate about this topic. I wish you all the best.

I am planning to go to the UK coming September for LLB. I'm really fascinated by law, and studying in the UK lets me go right into law school after high school. In Canada, you need an undergraduate degree before you can go into law school, so its a different concept for us. I feel a bit young, but I figured that I rather jump into it now while I'm enthusiastic than wait four years and maybe lose sight of where I want to go.
You sound really passionate about this topic. I wish you all the best.

I am planning to go to the UK coming September for LLB. I'm really fascinated by law, and studying in the UK lets me go right into law school after high school. In Canada, you need an undergraduate degree before you can go into law school, so its a different concept for us. I feel a bit young, but I figured that I rather jump into it now while I'm enthusiastic than wait four years and maybe lose sight of where I want to go.

Be very careful! My cousin's husband did his LLB at Edinburgh, and wasn't allowed to write the bar in Canada. :s-smilie:
Reply 419
Original post by caligulina
Be very careful! My cousin's husband did his LLB at Edinburgh, and wasn't allowed to write the bar in Canada. :s-smilie:

This is a very good point. Are you planning to practise in Canada? From the cursory look I've had at the requirements (I have no intention of lawyering outside Australia) if you don't have a Canadian law degree, you may have to jump through some rather onerous hoops in order to qualify.

You've probably looked at this closely, but if not, Caligulina is right, you should be very careful.

But I wouldn't worry about being too young - I started my law degree when I was 17 and it was fine. That said, I do think there is a lot of merit in the way they do things in North America, and a lot of Australian law schools (including mine as of this year) are also moving to a JD format. As long as you're happy with the way qualification will work, I think it's win/win whether you go straight in or wait until you've graduated from something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending