The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thank you and if i wanted to do the top up degree will that be funded?
Reply 61
It should be, yes.
Reply 62
Hello

My friend is wanting to do either a BA Social Work degree, she already has a first degree will be eligable for funding of any kind and/or a nhs bursary.

I also have another friend, who wants to do a part time nursing degree will she still get the nhs nursary and tuitien fee paid and any other finanancial support. She also has a first degree, but now nearly all universities are doing BA in Nursing.

Many thanks
Original post by shukar
Hello

My friend is wanting to do either a BA Social Work degree, she already has a first degree will be eligable for funding of any kind and/or a nhs bursary.

I also have another friend, who wants to do a part time nursing degree will she still get the nhs nursary and tuitien fee paid and any other finanancial support. She also has a first degree, but now nearly all universities are doing BA in Nursing.

Many thanks

I'll take these one at a time.

1) Students studying social work as a second degree will be eligible for the maintenance loan only (and supplementary grants if they have children or adult dependants). No tuition fees or maintenance/special support grant. They can apply to receive a non income-assessed NHS social work bursary (NHS bursary should not be ticked on the application as social work students are subject to different rules).

2) Part-time Nursing students can receive an income-assessed NHS bursary and have their fees paid by the NHS as normal. However she cannot get any support from student finance as part-time NHS students are ineligible for funding.
Reply 64
thanks for the swift reply!!

I might also be going into social work, is there any financial help for students doing the masters full time or part time. Is there an NHS bursary attached.

Thanks
Original post by shukar
thanks for the swift reply!!

I might also be going into social work, is there any financial help for students doing the masters full time or part time. Is there an NHS bursary attached.

Thanks

I'd need more information on the type of course. Are you doing an undergraduate social work degree already holding a degree? Or a postgraduate qualification like a diploma/masters?
Reply 66
Original post by glittersticks
I'd need more information on the type of course. Are you doing an undergraduate social work degree already holding a degree? Or a postgraduate qualification like a diploma/masters?

Its a postgraduate degree a Masters in Social Work.

Thanks
Reply 67
How much reduced rate of maintenance loan is available to nursing students from 2012 onwards. A rough calculation
Reply 68
Iv used up my 5 years but I had never taken out the student loan until this year. Will I be able to ask student finance if I can take out that loan to cover the fees for my repeated year?
Reply 69
No, it's previous study that counts, regardless how that previous study was financed.
Reply 70
I completed a Hnd in England around 2001 & received 2yrs of student loans during that time, not re-sitting an exam for one of the modules meant I never received the qualification.

Would I get funding now in Scotland for a completely different course? ..and does the level matter NC, Hnc, Hnd etc.

Thanks.
Hi,

A querie -

I am about to undertake a BA in Health and Social Care, funded by studet finance (Im a mature student). I wondered, can you get funding for a Masters in Business Management (1 Year)?

Thank you in advance.
Reply 72
Original post by Gracebmakeup
Hi,

A querie -

I am about to undertake a BA in Health and Social Care, funded by studet finance (Im a mature student). I wondered, can you get funding for a Masters in Business Management (1 Year)?

Thank you in advance.

Student Finance don't provide funding for post-grad study.
Hi, was just wondering if people could help me with some funding questions..?

Basically.. I'm doing an undergraduate degree.. but i want to swap to a different degree with the open university.

I've had the current funding...

Year 1
Re-sit Year (a re-sit of 2modules from year 1)
Year 2 (of which i am in currently)

I would like to do a 4year course via open university.

Does anyone have any idea of what funding i would get??

Thanks in advance
Reply 74
Original post by vintagevixen
Hi, was just wondering if people could help me with some funding questions..?

Basically.. I'm doing an undergraduate degree.. but i want to swap to a different degree with the open university.

I've had the current funding...

Year 1
Re-sit Year (a re-sit of 2modules from year 1)
Year 2 (of which i am in currently)

I would like to do a 4year course via open university.

Does anyone have any idea of what funding i would get??

Thanks in advance

When I started my OU study, I was told I would get six years of financial support - allowing for eligibility. You can always ring OU financial support (number is on their website). They are very helpful.
Hi There

Ok, hopefully someone can put me at ease, im doing a 3 year undergraduate degree and failed year 1, repeated it, got through to year 2 and am now having to retake year 2 because of personal problems iv'e been informed that student finance only fund 4 years, is that right? if so, would i get the maintenance loan and grants for all 5 years?

pleeeease help

many many thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
Technically, it is however many years your degree is + 1, definitely not just 4 years. If you have evidence that the situation was beyond your control and it affected your performance I think you should be able to get help with the second year. I am not sure though, but my guess is that is how it works. Have you been to your uni advisors? I found mine really helpful when I needed to do an extra year to change degree.
Reply 77
If you pass all three years and get accepted for masters, will they fund that as the 4th year? Or is it solely for resitting a year?
Hi all.

I have been at Uni for two years now but it hasn't been as wonderful as I thought... :frown:

I first attended the Uni of Kent studying Philosophy and then converted to a Uni in Wales to study English.

I have just found out that I failed my first year English course at the Welsh Uni, does anybory know I I could transfer once again to a different Uni to study forr a different English degree? Will I still get funding?

Any help would be great.

Thanks xx
Reply 79
Need advice please...

I started a BSc Psychology degree when I first attended uni, and realised very early indeed it wasn't for me. I tried to change degrees but the uni cited a deadline from 2 days prior (frustrating as I had been trying to get a response for a week by that point). So as to be able to live and stay in my house with my partner and friends, I carried on attending on the course I hated.

The following september I moved across to my BA Film & Media degree, and passed first year with no issues. Then, due to mental health issues that the uni were aware of, I had a bit of a meltdown mid 2011/12 academic year and didn't attend. I'm involved now in an appeal to try to get back in to finish my course but I'm concerned SFE won't fund me?

To recap:

yr 1 - psych, dropped course
yr 2 - media lvl 1, passed
yr 3 - media lvl 2, withdrawn (appealling)
yr 4 - hoping media lvl 2
yr 5 - hoping media lvl 3

My previous understanding had been up to four years grants with up to 6 total loan years? Looking at this thread it seems maybe not?

Very worried now my mental health has scuppered any chance I have of finishing my degree... :cry:

Latest

Trending

Trending