The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by Becca
Am I the only one who has never, ever ridden a horse in their life?
Nope. I haven't either. It's on my bucket list.

This is an actual bucket list, unlike my recently discovered housemates' buckets lists, which seem to contain only demographics :lolwut:
I received an offer from UCL for a PhD, which of course is good, and UCL is one of my top choices, but I would rather stay at Oxford (or perhaps go to Cambridge if they offer me the supervisor I requested).
The problem is that I have to accept the offer within 4 weeks. Of course this means that I will have to accept it before I even hear from funding from it. My question is, if I do accept it, and if I am offered the AHRC, would this prevent me from being nominated for it from another university? I think I read this weird condition that you can only be nominated once.
I also feel guilty in accepting an offer that I might not end up taking. Has anyone ever been in a similar position?
Reply 402
Original post by Drogue

I think I've got Helen to play that once. I love Catan. Though on a similar topic, I think she's somewhat regretting getting me Skyrim for Christmas. But it did make her superawesome :love:

Yes, you have. I quite like it, but it has the same problem most other games you play with your family do. :p:

As for horses, I think I've sat on one and been led around the school playing fields at the summer fair once. Never really had the desire to do any more than that. I've been chased by them a few times though. :eek:
Original post by Craghyrax

Aw man! All these Catan lovers and they're not here for me to play with. Everytime I try and lure unsuspecting guests into playing, Dave foils the plan (allegedly in a desperate bid to preserve my social life :p:).

My Uncle's buying us the Guards! Guards! game :nutcase: After Christmas it was out of stock everywhere, so he's buying this one overpriced 'used - good condition' one on Amazon :lolwut: Fingers crossed it will be ok.

And let me know when you've finished your game. We can have a games meet :p:

Actually you're probably lucky you got hold of one, I suspect it wasn't that successful since I've only really seen it once or twice and it has poor presence online. I love it though, it's not one of the more complex games (Catan) but the gameplay can get really good...especially if the other players partake properly. :colone:

I actually have a list of awesome games I wish to purchase/play over the years but my family suck. They rather play they're video games now, alas, they don't even like fighting. :frown:

The problem with the lion game is the concept is still so sexist and I don't want to exclude possible female buyers (yes buyers:colone: I suspect I'll have a gap year to design it..) but the inherent idea is you're a MALE lion...so..

EDIT: I Like how everyone seems to love horses, I grew up with quite a lot of contact with them....ah I dislike them so much.
Reply 404
Catan, never played it, heard it's mad though.

I much prefer games like Munchkin, such a great card game.

Also, horses. Don't like them. Got kicked in the face by one when I was 8. Not fun.
I bascially grew up on horses. I don't come from a horsey family at all, though. My dad is terrified of them and never came to watch me ride, not that I minded, I just loved hanging out with horses. I had my own from about the age of 9-14, but I got quite ill as a teenager and I wasn't able to ride for a year so we put him out on loan and the <rude word> who loaned him sold him on. It took us ages to find him and it turned out she'd buggered a tendon and then sold him to a girl who had him at an RDA school. He was quite happy though so that was a relief, but I was really really upset because loaning him in the first place had really devastated me and then to find out he was gone was really bad. Anyway, 6 years later we finally managed to get her through the courts and she's paying back the money she owes, which is going into savings for me in case I'm in a position to buy again in a few years' time. Horses are so expensive to keep though if you don't have your own facilities and the liveries/yards round here are crap. I did go to a local riding school for a bit but it was pretty lame so I stopped again. I do hope to get back into it if/when I have a proper job, though. The school I'm hoping to join in September (everything OK ish there, BTW - letter hasn't been sent to HR yet because of other things going on) does horsey stuff and I may have got a bit overexcited in the interview when suggesting I could help out there. :colondollar:

/firstworldproblems

And happy birthday, alba! Your meadow story is brilliant :biggrin: Becca, I had something similar happen - a few years ago when we were both broke - so I got a bit upset and now all is fine. We have a sort of agreement that if we're both broke we'll at least buy a card and cake and try and cook for each other (or treat to a take away).
Original post by Hylean

Also, horses. Don't like them. Got kicked in the face by one when I was 8. Not fun.

Munchkin is another good one, I've only played once. I lost terribly if I recall, though I don't fully understand it. My flatmates loved it, I guess I just didn't have the background to get most of the jokes etc.

I once saw a horse defecate on someone, that was great. I've never been kicked by a horse but I have been nudged, dropped, bitten, wee'd on, neighed at and even chased once.
Original post by Hylean

:eek:
How badly were you hurt?
I've had a horse tread on my stomach and kick me on the chin. I've been thrown off on the beach and landed head first on a rock. I've been forced off a pony that tried to get out of a field under a fence with me still on its back. I've had a randy stallion break into the field I was riding in and had to make a very quick escape. I've had a horse bolt down the beach completely out of my control when a yappy dog ran up to me.

And I still love horses :p:

I rode for about 10 years. Never owned my own, but exercised my friend's for her, and worked for rides at my local stable. I got quite badly injured when I was 18 (screwed up my back, left ankle and both knees in one go) and haven't been able to do it for years now. I really miss it.
Reply 409
Original post by Helenia
I've been chased by them a few times though. :eek:

Original post by The Lyceum
I've never been kicked by a horse but I have been nudged, dropped, bitten, wee'd on, neighed at and even chased once.

What on earth did you guys do to get chased by horses? Wave carrots under their noses and then run away?? :confused:
Reply 410
What's with the sudden outbreak of horseyness in GOGSoc?:erm:
Original post by sj27
What on earth did you guys do to get chased by horses? Wave carrots under their noses and then run away?? :confused:

It messed up my shot (archery) the horse was known as being temperamental as hell, the guy who owned him got him cheaply because of it. The previous owner was trying to explain how nice and friendly this horse was...whilst he was attacking another horse.

This wasn't a typical sleek European breed horse either by the way; a real old school breed like you still can find in India, Afghanistan, Iran etc etc...i.e densely muscled and rather large.

Anyway he messed up my shot, AGAIN, and I was very annoyed. I remember dismounting and yelling at him, threatening him with my bow and then he just went from half psycho to full psycho, neighed loudly and ran at me. God he was so mental, I actually loved the animal though. Me in horse form.
Reply 412
Original post by sj27

Went into their field when she was still very protective of her foal - which was also in the field but nowhere near me. I was only about 6 - my Dad had to pick me up and pretty much throw me over the fence to get away.
Quick question:

Does the phrase 'Maximum length of 8000 words including notes, references, tables, figures and diagrams. Please note that 475 words have to be deducted from the word budget for each full page of tables, figures or diagrams.'

Include the bibliography?
Reply 414
Original post by IlexAquifolium
Quick question:

Does the phrase 'Maximum length of 8000 words including notes, references, tables, figures and diagrams. Please note that 475 words have to be deducted from the word budget for each full page of tables, figures or diagrams.'

Ambiguous. Depends whether you take references as meaning in text citations or and bibliography. I would probably ask :s-smilie:
Original post by Cirsium
Ambiguous. Depends whether you take references as meaning in text citations or and bibliography. I would probably ask :s-smilie:

Mmm, that's what I thought. They ask for Harvard submissions, so it's not very clear. The other thing confusing me is:

# must not be already accessible online (Working Paper, e-Journal etc). It is the policy of the Journal not to publish unchanged submissions that have already been made available via Working Paper Series or electronic papers. If a submission builds upon a prior publication of this form, the author should provide documentation about the substantial revisions and changes that were made;

I've already given an earlier draft as a conference presentation so that's available online, but it's not been published as such.

****ing journals.
Reply 416
Original post by Hylean

I love Munchkin, though I find it quite similar to Catan (though much sillier) in playstyle. I love Cheapass games as well, for being incredibly funny - Unexploded Cow (as silly as it sounds), Pass Me the Brain (trying to run a fast food restaurant staffed by zombies with one brain between them), Kill Doctor Lucky (Cluedo set ten minutes earlier), etc.
Quick question:

I would hazard yes. Journals get given x number of pages annually by the publishers, so if they are asking that you remove 475 words for full page figures etc, I should think they are strict on their page limits. Long bibliog would therefore count toward page totals. However...probably just better to ask :biggrin:
Original post by flying plum
I would hazard yes. Journals get given x number of pages annually by the publishers, so if they are asking that you remove 475 words for full page figures etc, I should think they are strict on their page limits. Long bibliog would therefore count toward page totals. However...probably just better to ask :biggrin:

I think you're right. I've now moved onto my new panic for the day though, which is that inclusive of bib I'm about 1500 words over. It's a three part paper and part three is empirical, so I could conceivably just scrap part three and expand on parts 1 and 2 a bit to make up the words. I think that's probably most sensible. Just means loads more work!

(I will email though - the no prior publishing bit is worrying me more - but if that's a no, there's another journal I can go with whose submission guidelines are basically the same so it's all good).
Reply 419
Mmm, that's what I thought. They ask for Harvard submissions, so it's not very clear. The other thing confusing me is:

# must not be already accessible online (Working Paper, e-Journal etc). It is the policy of the Journal not to publish unchanged submissions that have already been made available via Working Paper Series or electronic papers. If a submission builds upon a prior publication of this form, the author should provide documentation about the substantial revisions and changes that were made;

I've already given an earlier draft as a conference presentation so that's available online, but it's not been published as such.

****ing journals.

Well, it does say 'unchanged submissions', so if it's based on the draft you presented but not actually identical to it, they might still take it.

Latest