The Student Room Group

psychology questions

so for my personal statement, it has been suggested to add a few psychological questions at the start

well i was mulling this over, and i came up with a few ideas...

im applying with royal holloway as firm, which is AAB grades, and also competitive.

are these good enough?

thankyou :smile:

Does our subconscious control us more than we think?

Is there an anatomical reason for songs to play in our minds?

Are violent games in virtual worlds escapism for the moralities of real life?

If a symptom of schizophrenia is hearing voices, aren’t we then all a little bit mad?
Reply 1
They're good questions... I'd like to know the answers actually!
Good luck with your statement. There's a section on TSR that has examples of statements and criticism of them subject by subject.

Where else are you thinking of applying? I ask because they all have 'house styles' that you may have to consider when writing the statement ie Bristol needs an emphasis on science (it has clear guidelines as to what it likes to see on line), an applied course would need steering towards your experience and volunteering work etc etc....

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha. Oh god, don't do it.
Reply 3
Original post by catoswyn
They're good questions... I'd like to know the answers actually!
Good luck with your statement. There's a section on TSR that has examples of statements and criticism of them subject by subject.

Where else are you thinking of applying? I ask because they all have 'house styles' that you may have to consider when writing the statement ie Bristol needs an emphasis on science (it has clear guidelines as to what it likes to see on line), an applied course would need steering towards your experience and volunteering work etc etc....

well royal holloway is my firm definately, which is why im basing it around that style.
im also applying for Hull (insurance... already decided heh), reading, Aston and Cardiff :smile:

thanks for the feedback :smile:

and yes.. got some volunteering to do :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Haha. Oh god, don't do it.

huh?
Original post by megfashion
huh?

It's cheesy, cringeworthy and wont win you any points. You're supposed to be selling yourself as an applicant, not writing a piece of hyperbole.
Reply 6
It's cheesy, cringeworthy and wont win you any points. You're supposed to be selling yourself as an applicant, not writing a piece of hyperbole.

they have examples of people doing questions at the start on TSR

People are idiots on TSR. srs, don't do it. This isn't creative writing.
Reply 8
People are idiots on TSR. srs, don't do it. This isn't creative writing.

oh ok then. what should i put instead then? i thought itd be gripping etc... so itd stay in their heads
Reply 9

Write the whole statement as a first draft anyway so you can edit it all later if you decide not to use the questions. You can use the questions to relate directly to yourself, as illustrations of the kind of things that interest and engage you. If they are a mix of neuropsychology, social and behavioural aspects of the subject for instance it is certainly less clonky and prosaic than merely writing 'I am interested in all aspects of psychology blah blah'. They managed to convey quite a lot of info about your interest while giving a lead in to the whole piece.

I disagree that the personal statement is not in effect a piece of creative writing. It has to be in a way in order to get in everything you want and also to capture and hold the attention of the reader. There is no harm in showing that you are literate either!

However style is subjective and personal so in the end go with your own instinct.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by catoswyn
Write the whole statement as a first draft anyway so you can edit it all later if you decide not to use the questions. You can use the questions to relate directly to yourself, as illustrations of the kind of things that interest and engage you. If they are a mix of neuropsychology, social and behavioural aspects of the subject for instance it is certainly less clonky and prosaic than merely writing 'I am interested in all aspects of psychology blah blah'. They managed to convey quite a lot of info about your interest while giving a lead in to the whole piece.

I disagree that the personal statement is not in effect a piece of creative writing. It has to be in a way in order to get in everything you want and also to capture and hold the attention of the reader. There is no harm in showing that you are literate either!

However style is subjective and personal so in the end go with your own instinct.

ohh ok yeh :smile: thankyou :smile: ill probably merge it in then. the examples on TSR always have it in the first paragraph so i thought i should do that too...

im not really going to do anything else till after exams now, but i just felt like doing the questions :smile:

thanks x
i actually done something similar to this, but i wouldn't write all of them maybe just 2 and don't just leave it at the questions try and expand on it, tell them why u wrote it :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by messy_teardrops
i actually done something similar to this, but i wouldn't write all of them maybe just 2 and don't just leave it at the questions try and expand on it, tell them why u wrote it :smile:

hmm ok, thanks :smile: x
Reply 13
The best thing you can do is show how you love psychology so much by saying you've done things outside the classroom...

'My passion for Psychology has encouraged me to undertake outside reading...' etc this shows a real flare for the subject. Rather than listing what you've learnt and how much you like it.

I agree with whoever said it's cringe-worthy, it's not supposed to be Psychology content as such.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending