The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
Also, am i the only one that hates barbell rows? I don't know why but i just don't like it as a movement at all. It seems so unnatural. Dumbell rows are fine but i cant do barbell rows.

I got to 50kg (i'm a novice still) and i was using so much momentum it was ridiculous, so i just changed from SL5x5 to SS after this as it was getting stupid.

Also, am i the only one that hates barbell rows? I don't know why but i just don't like it as a movement at all. It seems so unnatural. Dumbell rows are fine but i cant do barbell rows.

Exact opposite. DB rows I can never get the form right. Barbells a sinch, use overhand though. Underhand does seem kinda ****ed.
[video="youtube;e5AZ8lFFI0A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5AZ8lFFI0A[/video]
Original post by desijut
I got to 50kg (i'm a novice still) and i was using so much momentum it was ridiculous, so i just changed from SL5x5 to SS after this as it was getting stupid.

That's when you reset, and start working up again, until once more your form goes.

I love barbell rows, explosive and great for upper back development.
Tips on getting things done?

I have **** loads of deadlines coming up. I know how important they are but I can't focus. Can't go to a library as there are none nearby. What do?
going to gym with a mild cold, how much will performance be affected?
Reply 9046
Original post by Gallium

Only as much as you let it.
Reply 9047
Toes out for squatting. Mine are probably about 25-30% out. And my knees track straight over my foot as I squat. I don't know how you could do that with feet facing completely forward. Most of the people that advocate toes forward when squatting are insane geared powerlifters, usually West Side. The idea being that with your toes forward, your knee will twist and hold a bit elastic tension which may help out of the hole. But I prefer to keep my own knees into old age, so I keep my knees in-line with my feet/toes when I squat.
Some close stance oly lifters have toes forward

Some don't. It really doesn't matter lol
Original post by Gallium

You will lose 7% off all your lifts.
Original post by mituozo
You will lose 7% off all your lifts.

lol, don't wanna contaminate the whole gym.....might just take the week off and start 5/3/1 from scratch next week. feel pretty ****.
Depends how ****. I wish I trained when ill but didn't... go in and do 50% x 5 on lifts then a tiny bit of bodybuidling then leave?

Original post by Gallium
lol, don't wanna contaminate the whole gym.....might just take the week off and start 5/3/1 from scratch next week. feel pretty ****.
Still go anyway.

A crap session is better than no session...
Still go anyway.

A crap session is better than no session...

i rather not travel for so many hours to do a half assed workout + i'm contemplating on working out this week at 50% as i'm pretty burnt out, going to to do that and reset my programme to the first week most likely
Watching "Power Unlimited". Really nice. :smile:
Original post by mituozo
That's when you reset, and start working up again, until once more your form goes.

I love barbell rows, explosive and great for upper back development.

Problem is.. when is the line drawn for when your form goes? I will go back to the rows, just not yet, im having tons more fun with power cleans lol.
Original post by Michael XYZ
Watching "Power Unlimited". Really nice. :smile:

Bear in mind I know basically nothing about equipped lifting, but what I didn't get about that was how one of the main guys (Scott Cartright?) had bombed on the squat for like 3 meets in a row. Just take a lower weight for your opener, surely? If I'd bombed 2 meets in a row I'd be sure as hell to take a weight I'd smoke for my opener 3rd time around.
Original post by RawJoh1
Bear in mind I know basically nothing about equipped lifting, but what I didn't get about that was how one of the main guys (Scott Cartright?) had bombed on the squat for like 3 meets in a row. Just take a lower weight for your opener, surely? If I'd bombed 2 meets in a row I'd be sure as hell to take a weight I'd smoke for my opener 3rd time around.

Was his opener the issue? I thought the issue was his 2nd/3rd lift. In any case, I think it's just ego right? He's a bit crazy as well and I doubt he'd ever want to go lower.

Also, what about the first guy to squat 1000lbs? That was amazing. First time he passes out. He tries again. Most people would stop right there. Second time the clip comes off and the bar flips. The few who would even try it again would probably stop now as it must seem like fate not to get it. Only a madman would try it for a 3rd time - and smoke it.
I train better when I start to feel ill, don't know why.
I'm 90kg lean (6ft 4) but still not even close to a BW squat after 3 months of lifting (Probably atleast 25 squat sessions too). Am I just being a pussy and should I be more aggressive or what? Heard people say you should be able to walk into a gym untrained and squat BW :s