The Student Room Group

***Official 2012 Neuroscience Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 301lw
can you post a link for the league table please? :smile:

edit: why the neg?

It's pretty much the definitive university league table.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-league-table-2012
Reply 761
Original post by NeuralGroove
This year's Guardian University league table puts Edinburgh at no. 16 and St. Andrews at no. 3. In the Biosciences league table, the gap widens even further.

Either way, St. Andrews is one of the country's most prestigious and best respected universities. The quality of education is, from what I can tell, great and the employability conferred, especially in research fields is pretty amazing.

I declined an Edinburgh offer for a St. Andrews one.

Oh well, too late now I guess. Firmed Edinburgh earlier today as soon as I got the offer, declined St Andrews. Thanks anyway. :P
:eek:
Flippin heck guys, you're taking those tables way too seriously, I hate to break it to you but employers don't really take what annually updated league tables have to say into account, if anything, they do care about prestige. That table is full of crap for other subjects so why would you why would you not question the validity of the bioscience page. The judging criteria seems to be so skewed, for example go on the maths table and prepare to laugh your arse off.

That table might claim UCLAN is better than Imperial, Bath, LSE, UCL and Bristol, but employers, will never, ever see it that way.
Reply 763
A
Original post by finality
Oh well, too late now I guess. Firmed Edinburgh earlier today as soon as I got the offer, declined St Andrews. Thanks anyway. :P

Im firming Edinburgh too:colondollar:
UCL neuroscience! :biggrin: Have an offer for St Andrews too but I think I'm more inclined to UCL. Think that the city life is more for me. Who else is going to UCL this year? (:
Reply 765
Has anyone that applied to Glasgow heard anything from them recently ??? Firmed my unconditional 5 or 6 months go and haven't heard a thing since, but pretty sure UCAS and the uni's were constantly sending things out when i did this last time ...
Original post by elizabethT
UCL neuroscience! :biggrin: Have an offer for St Andrews too but I think I'm more inclined to UCL. Think that the city life is more for me. Who else is going to UCL this year? (:

Congratulations on your offer! I'm in the same boat as you :smile: I firmed UCL and insured St. Andrews.
Reply 767
Original post by BustyLaRouge
yeah i have a friend there too doing psychology - she says its great. I'm going for the neuroscience visit day on the 10th March

i was there too :smile: did you start off in mark's group when we got shown around?
Reply 768
Original post by jamieas
Went to the Sussex admissions day on Saturday and it was much better than i expected. It's my lowest offer but I may put it as my first choice depending on whether Leeds or Nottingham wow me. The seaside factor played a huge role.

Woo Sussex :biggrin:

it was really nice wasnt it! i wasnt expecting it to be that good but the sun probably played a part in it :P
Reply 769
Original post by cee.cee
Has anyone that applied to Glasgow heard anything from them recently ??? Firmed my unconditional 5 or 6 months go and haven't heard a thing since, but pretty sure UCAS and the uni's were constantly sending things out when i did this last time ...

I've applied and have an offer, but haven't responded on UCAS yet. I've had emails about applicant day, and like general newsletter-type things if that is any help :tongue:
Reply 770
Original post by Josiea
I've applied and have an offer, but haven't responded on UCAS yet. I've had emails about applicant day, and like general newsletter-type things if that is any help :tongue:

Ahhh thank you !! Yeahhhh, heard absolutely NOTHING, so wee bit worrying :smile: :smile: ...
Congratulations on your offer! I'm in the same boat as you :smile: I firmed UCL and insured St. Andrews.

Thank you!!! Was ecstatic when the offer came in
Congrats on your offer too! (: Maybe I'll be seeing you in Sept
Reply 772
Original post by cee.cee
Ahhh thank you !! Yeahhhh, heard absolutely NOTHING, so wee bit worrying :smile: :smile: ...

That is quite worrying :tongue: I don't think I've had anything directly relating to my application anyway!
Reply 773
Original post by Josiea
That is quite worrying :tongue: I don't think I've had anything directly relating to my application anyway!

Ahhh just had an email through about the Applicant's Visit day ! Panic over :smile: Well, other than trying to get time off work for it !
I hope not, I look like a heroin addict in mine!
I'd heard that ID card photos were done in the first week of term, I thought they were just for matching up potential roomates. What they can tell from a photo I'm not sure.

Yeah, it's the same with me really. Where was your insurance?

Haha well let's hope it's just for reference then... My insurance is Edinburgh, although the offer is practically the same for UCL.
Reply 775
I sent an email to St Andrews regarding when the decision was to be made (sent my application on October) and received quite a strange reply (without even a signature) saying it was "next week or so".
Yesterday I received a rejection saying I'm not suitable for the course ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've firmed UCL and put King's as an insurance.
After the visit day yesterday I just got a nice ABB offer from Bristol :smile:
This puts me in a sticky situation though as I was expecting an AAB from Bristol, to then firm them and put Sussex as my insurance at ABB/AAC!

I'm ecstatic at receiving a lower offer from Bristol but now I'm completely unsure of my footing!
Original post by dovilem
I sent an email to St Andrews regarding when the decision was to be made (sent my application on October) and received quite a strange reply (without even a signature) saying it was "next week or so".
Yesterday I received a rejection saying I'm not suitable for the course ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's weird dude. Did that email say anything else?
Reply 778
Original post by Minotauro
That's weird dude. Did that email say anything else?

Do you mean the first one?

Here's the copy of it:

20 March
to: me

All decisions should be made in the next week or so
Original post by dovilem
Do you mean the first one?

Here's the copy of it:

20 March
to: me

All decisions should be made in the next week or so

Yeah the first one, yeahh that's odd to say the least lol