The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent nightlife and best accommodation?

Hi,

I know this thread has probably been posted 100 times before, however from searching the forum, I am finding it hard to find up-to-date information on Kent uni's nightlife. The impression I have been getting from reading other threads is that Kent has quite a poor nighlife. At the moment I am torn between either Reading University or Kent for economics and obviously a good nighlife not being the deciding factor between them, I would want a decent one. To put things into perspective, a great night out for me would be to attend a Playaz night at Fabric in London (as I am very much into the DnB scene,) however I know I cannot expect something like that at Kent. I just want to ask people that have either visited Kent or go there, if the nightlife is at least adequate enough to have a good laugh, get smashed and pull a few girls on a regular basis whilst dancing to some decent music (like any guy would want).

I have been hearing that a lot of the nightlife consists of mainly pubs, or chilled out clubs with little dancing, which is a definite no no for me and I am saddened at this as Kent is more respected for economics than Reading. As for Reading, I went through a phase of going out there and in terms of nightlife, I would say it is adequate enough, with Q club, Lola Lo, Revs etc. If anyone goes to Kent and has been to Reading for a night out then please use it as a benchmark in order to compare Kent's nightlife.

On another note, in your opinion, what is the best accommodation for meeting friends and having a laugh? I have a few friends that study at Kent at the moment and some say Parkwood is a lively place, lots of house parties etc, and then some people say the opposite.

If people would be kind enough to reply I would greatly appreciate it! Please do not think I am a complete dosser, because I really am not, I just want to be having a great time whilst at uni!

Thanks!
Reply 1
You will have a good laugh depending on who you are with, you will get smashed depending on how much you drink and you will pull girls rarely, one a month at best for some of my more slaggy friends.

It will get the job done so don't be fussy.

It's not too far away from London anyway so you could always just go up there every now and again and camp out in the stations still the first train, s'what I do.

I cant say much about accommodation since I'm a CCCU boy though.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Kent? Eww. :wink: Nah, I'm a Canterbury ChristChurch student myself, and we've got some nice spots. I'm not much of a clubber, but there's Club Chemistry (which is pretty damn big) and Curve. There are also some really nice pubs and bars to go to. The Cherry Tree is nice, as is Vs and the Flying Horse. :smile: Hope you have fun!
Ahem

Everyone seems to be missing the sticky at the top of the forum :wink2:

It's not all that out of date either. Biggest thing is Studio 41 isn't there anymore. They've missed The Ballroom (teapot cocktails!!) and if you want to know about student nights in Canterbury now in the clubs I can give a run down, and can go into a lot of detail for Chemistry and the Venue.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
You're an idiot if you base a uni choice on night life rather than it's quality in your subject. Just sayin'
(edited 10 years ago)
Don't listen to people from Christchurch. They go there for a reason and it ain't for their brains :wink: (I kid. The world needs teachers!)
Reply 6
Original post by NormalsWeird
Don't listen to people from Christchurch. They go there for a reason and it ain't for their brains :wink: (I kid. The world needs teachers!)

Ouch, i'm going to CCCU and don't intend on being a teacher, but what you said kinda worries me, is it really that bad?, although tbh there is not much i can do about it now.

:s-smilie:
Original post by Karism
Ouch, i'm going to CCCU and don't intend on being a teacher, but what you said kinda worries me, is it really that bad?, although tbh there is not much i can do about it now.

It's mainly the rivalry between unis, you'll get used to it. I'll admit it's not the best uni in the country (it's pretty low in tables) but it doesn't mean it's a "bad uni"
Original post by Karism

No offence meant! Like the post above said, mostly just friendly rivalry haha. You'll get used to it :wink:
Reply 9
Kent is close to London anyway. Fabric is siiiiiiickkkkkk
Reply 10
Ah this seems like the perfect question for me to answer! I am a Uni of Kent fresher but I come from Reading so I have a good idea of what the nightlife is like in both places. Obviously Reading is going to be more lively than Canterbury, but there is plenty going on here e.g. Chill and Chemistry. I went to an amazing foam party at Chemistry, literally one of the best nights ever! Wetherspoons is also a favourite for a cheap drink and snack. Also, don't write off the Uni nightclub 'The Venue' a lot of Unis don't have on campus clubs so I think it does pretty well for itself, especially on Freshers week. Plus you don't get as many chavs in the clubs here as you do in Reading, so look at that as an advantage.

As for accommodation, I am staying in Tyler Court which is brilliant! It's quite pricey but the kitchen space and en-suite makes it worth it. There are always flat parties going on around and about during freshers and beyond as well!
I literally have the same question as OP, and what brings it closer is that I'm well into the DnB scene too, just saw andy c at fabric 2days ago. OP I'd go for Kent if I were you, it's an hour away from london, although travel would be a bit costly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending