The Student Room Group

Look at the moon right NOW to see planet Venus.

Everyone look at the moon right now, to the top right of it there is a bright star visible, that's planet Venus. I noticed it a few moments ago and decided to Google it too see what it was and it turned out to be Venus
Here is what it should look like :
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh I know, I saw it earlier. Some other stars were surprisingly bright considering how I can't usually see more than 3 but yeah, quite a lot tonight. No one else in my house gives a crap though so I've kept it to myself.
noticed it on the way back from the gym, tempted to dig out my telescope to get a better look.
Reply 3
Uranus was out when you were in the shower as well :wink:
Reply 4
If you look up a bit you should be able to see Jupiter as well.
Original post by sliceofcake
Oh I know, I saw it earlier. Some other stars were surprisingly bright considering how I can't usually see more than 3 but yeah, quite a lot tonight. No one else in my house gives a crap though so I've kept it to myself.

Aha, I first thought it was a plane or something but then it wasn't moving so I thought that it was a star but then, stars aren't normally that big so I did more research and was quite thrilled with myself when I found out it was Venus :cool:
Reply 6
Like Drewski just said, you should be able to see Jupiter too. It was in the news recently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17312354
oh no, the moon isnt on my side of the window :frown:
Reply 8
I think tonight I will actually get my telescope out. I've been watching venus and jupiter for a few days now.

Also Saturn will be making an appearance at some point...will have to check stellarium though.

edit: I'm currently outside trying to find saturn! I reckon it's too low currently, there's trees and light pollution near the horizon.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
:eek3::eek3:
Original post by arnoob
Everyone look at the moon right now, to the top right of it there is a bright star visible, that's planet Venus. I noticed it a few moments ago and decided to Google it too see what it was and it turned out to be Venus
Here is what it should look like :

Original post by Darth Stewie
noticed it on the way back from the gym, tempted to dig out my telescope to get a better look.

Original post by Drewski
If you look up a bit you should be able to see Jupiter as well.

Original post by arnoob
Aha, I first thought it was a plane or something but then it wasn't moving so I thought that it was a star but then, stars aren't normally that big so I did more research and was quite thrilled with myself when I found out it was Venus :cool:

OMG, why didn't you guys tell me before, I saw this today and yesterday and thought the two were just randomly really bright stars, of course that was after the planes thought. :eek3:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Saturn, Mars, Jupiter and Venus are all visible at the moment, although Jupiter and Venus will be setting by now (Jupiter is gone for tonight, for sure).

I like Astronomy so much. :love:
I can't find the moon!
Original post by Manitude
I think tonight I will actually get my telescope out. I've been watching venus and jupiter for a few days now.

Also Saturn will be making an appearance at some point...will have to check stellarium though.

edit: I'm currently outside trying to find saturn! I reckon it's too low currently, there's trees and light pollution near the horizon.

When do you think Saturn will be available to see then :confused:
I kinda want to see this but I'm too lazy to get up. Is it pretty?
Reply 14
Original post by DanLorenzo
I can't find the moon!

Arg, neither can I. Have been walking around outside but think the damn house is hiding him.
Reply 15
I can't find the moon :frown:
FML just nearly fell out the window trying to see :facepalm: That'll teach me for reaching to the window standing on the bath in the dark.

Wasn't even the right window :hmpf:
Reply 17
The Aztecs revered and feared Venus; they called it xux ek' which means Wasp Star
Original post by SleepySheep
I kinda want to see this but I'm too lazy to get up. Is it pretty?

Depends on your definition of pretty. It is fascinating though , I guess :rolleyes:
Reply 19
cant even see the moon from my house ffs fml :facepalm:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending