The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dancerwoman
Wonderful news timefortea. Did they give any idea as to when you'll hear further? Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

As for the link, I will try for the very last time to get my other half to apply. Would any of the positions involving lighting and electrical work as that's my other half's field as opposed to the dancing / performance side of things.

Next couple of weeks.... We'll see!!! They very much seemed to be looking (in the Props - Running Team) for very enthusiastic, committed people who would be happy moving and handing props and equipment, e.g. pushing props into position etc. It would involve working alongside the dancers/actors cast in the ceremonies, but not dancing/acting/performing. An OK level of fitness seemed to be helpful as it is reasonably manual- e.g. we talked for a while about the sport I play. But it may be worth phoning/emailing with the specific skill set your husband has- I'm sure it would be very very useful!

On a different note there were loads of people there tonight who'd come along for accreditation purposes- I spoke to physios who will be there handing First Aid at the ceremonies, plus a bunch of teachers who will be chaperoning school children from local schools that will appear the various ceremonies. It made me realise how massive the volunteer workforce is and what a mammoth job the organisers have to organise it all!
Original post by FIZZYJAMZ
Guys group is getting bigger!.....we have 20 auditionees at mo...

We have 211 in our not-so-little community here :biggrin:
Flakeydom - if you have a moment before Saturday do you think you could update an earlier post of yours in respect of those people coming on Saturday with the specific segments of those who already have places? I know I am in the same group as Nevvie and Wickedgrin (44A) and other people may be keen to identify those they will be seeing at rehearsals. Of couse we are hopeful that the list can be augmented with segments for the reserves/not heards as well before Saturday:smile:.
Original post by timefortea
Hiya!

Just returned from the Props/Scenery interview- thank you very much everyone for your support and words of encouragement (isn't the forum ace?!). They were super friendly, it was all very relaxed. They said they are lacking in numbers and have extended the deadline to apply to Monday April 2nd! The only qualifications needed were enthusiasm and reliability they said! And there are opportunities to be in the actual ceremonies, being involved in scene changes for example. More detail here: http://www.london2012.com/games/ceremonies/get-involved/crew/workforce-volunteers.php

Well done - what did I tell you!
Sure - just need to update the spreadsheet with any changes from the doodle link.

So
41A - Bignic12, Essex Girl, me, LauraN1, ski123
44 SUF-V - Mum of Students
44a - Nevvie, Pinnerite, wickedgrin
47a - Mandy_Pandy, Ropey1, twilightz
47b - AKST
47? - MsIs
49e - w11lina
49g - Caroline27
51c - 1londonbabe
51? - commonliner, drumbeat
Reserves - adelie27, cello08, cinnamon, cornishscot, eve58, fyrecracker, galactica2009, maid.marian, pizazz, Ropey1's OH, sukied00

Not sure if MsIs friend is in a segment and I'm not sure if Elmo K actually posts here as someone else. And Essex Girl's non-Olympic daughter is coming.

Interestingly, while we've got some (41/51) who are in both, we've got no-one coming who is just in the closing.
Original post by Flakeydom
Sure - just need to update the spreadsheet with any changes from the doodle link.

So
47b - AKST
47? - MsIs
49e - w11lina
49g - Caroline27
51c - 1londonbabe
Reserves - adelie27, cello08, cinnamon, cornishscot, eve58, fyrecracker, galactica2009, maid.marian, pizazz, Ropey1's OH, sukied00

Not sure if MsIs friend is in a segment and I'm not sure if Elmo K actually posts here as someone else. And Essex Girl's non-Olympic daughter is coming.

Interestingly, while we've got some (41/51) who are in both, we've got no-one coming who is just in the closing.

I think Dancersmum is a reserve who has done her third audition for para olympic with me
Reply 5146

So
47b - AKST
47? - MsIs
49e - w11lina
49g - Caroline27
51c - 1londonbabe

great summary well done :smile:
Reply 5147
Hey lovely people, haven't posted for ages but have been lurking and following all the updates. Really looking forward to the meet up on Saturday and putting names to faces. (2pm John Lewis I think?)

How great would it be if we all had news by then? Only two weeks now till some of start rehearsals so I am keeping absolutely everything crossed for a final flurry of emails for those still waiting to hear.

Have also joined the facebook group... thanks FizzyJamz for setting up!
Reply 5148
Original post by notjustamum
Hi Showgirl - I am on the next day bright and early! Anyone else?

Have fun!!!

me too! and yes it will be very early!
I think that you can't make the 31st meet up? But maybe we can try and meet up on the 1st day.

So
47b - AKST
47? - MsIs
49e - w11lina
49g - Caroline27
51c - 1londonbabe

Thanks Flakeydom- most helpful!
Original post by galactica2009
I think Dancersmum is a reserve who has done her third audition for para olympic with me

Ah - her name's not on the Doodle list hence why she's missed - unless of course her alter ego is Elmo K :tongue:
Ah - her name's not on the Doodle list hence why she's missed - unless of course her alter ego is Elmo K :tongue:

haha at Elmo k.
Reply 5152
There really are some misery-guts out there who like to portray doom and gloom about everything. You could argue that TFL etc are portraying the worst possible scenario re transport/jams so that if it's not as bad, everyone is pleasantly surprised. It is better than the opposite; saying there should be no trouble and then if there's a 5 minute delay, everyone goes potty.

I'm sure when all the Olympic street stuff goes up and people start arriving, excitement will grow.

I arrived in Sydney a week before the best Olympics ever and the amount of scare stories in the papers was ridiculous. Lots of worst case scenarios regarding transport chaos and lots of official warnings/advice about how early you had to leave to make a session taking in to account travel, security delays etc. The strategy was definitely under-promise and over-deliver and it worked wonderfully.

Glad to hear your props interview went well timefortea, all the best for a speedy positive outcome. Watching the Sydney Opening videos that I posted weeks back I remember noticing props type peeps being handed flags or whatever quite often. Maybe I'll apply, do you think they would be interested in someone who can only do 3 ceremonies?

Original post by w11lina
Only two weeks now till some of start rehearsals so I am keeping absolutely everything crossed for a final flurry of emails for those still waiting to hear.

Wow that makes it all seem very real!
Hi guys, sorry I haven't posted in a long time. It has taken me a while to catch up with all that has happened since .
Congratulations to all that have heard and got roles, fingers crossed for the ones that haven't heard both from the first round of auditions or second. Good luck to all that have applied for the other Ceremonies roles and finally wellcome to all the newbies (I can see that's quite a few that have joined this forum).
I also got an update but with no attachement to it.
I am booked for work on Fri and Sat (I will know tomorrow eve if needed for both days)so I will confirm tomorrow whether I'll be able to make the Saturday meeting or not.
Reply 5154
Original post by timefortea
Next couple of weeks.... We'll see!!! They very much seemed to be looking (in the Props - Running Team) for very enthusiastic, committed people who would be happy moving and handing props and equipment, e.g. pushing props into position etc. It would involve working alongside the dancers/actors cast in the ceremonies, but not dancing/acting/performing. An OK level of fitness seemed to be helpful as it is reasonably manual- e.g. we talked for a while about the sport I play. But it may be worth phoning/emailing with the specific skill set your husband has- I'm sure it would be very very useful!

On a different note there were loads of people there tonight who'd come along for accreditation purposes- I spoke to physios who will be there handing First Aid at the ceremonies, plus a bunch of teachers who will be chaperoning school children from local schools that will appear the various ceremonies. It made me realise how massive the volunteer workforce is and what a mammoth job the organisers have to organise it all!

Great , glad it went well. I think it would be a good team to work with.

Rafiki - I think its worth a go applying. I imagine that as each ceremony would be different, and it sounds as though they are not overwhelmed with applicants they might consider one ceremony missing.
Woo, looking forward to Saturday guys :smile:
Original post by adelie27
Great , glad it went well. I think it would be a good team to work with.

Rafiki - I think its worth a go applying. I imagine that as each ceremony would be different, and it sounds as though they are not overwhelmed with applicants they might consider one ceremony missing.

Hiya Rafiki! I didn't get the impression it was for all four ceremonies. In the interview the Opening Ceremony was mentioned a couple of times, but not the others... I suggest to go for it- see how the interview goes and if you like the sound of the role. They knew I was awaiting the outcome of the performer auditions for Feb. They really just emphasised enthusiasm and commitment over any other skills/attributes, which we lot have in spades on here!!
Reply 5157

So
47b - AKST
47? - MsIs
49e - w11lina
49g - Caroline27
51c - 1londonbabe

HI im a 51-A if that helps, if we all waer a simply badge with username and group number this would help identify each other.

No, I'm away on holiday from Saturday morning, so won't be there, but I hope you all have a good time; I'm sure that you will, as our para mini meet-up was great.

Props interview tonight, and thanks timefortea and Adelie27 for your feed-back.
Reply 5159

So
47b - AKST
47? - MsIs
49e - w11lina
49g - Caroline27
51c - 1londonbabe

Flakeydom, both my friend and I are in 47D. :star: