The Student Room Group

Men of all ages ! What girly music do you listen to?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunexotic
Perhaps whether a song is girly (yes.. who knows what that means?) or not is personal to you.

Some men try to extremely cool and only ever admit to listening to the likes of Oasis, Rolling Stones etc..

Most people don't mention their occasional guilty pleasure.

And I don't know where your second point comes from..

It says something about the way females are perceived in music that their music is seen as a guilty pleasure. Many of the artists listed here are guilty pleasures because they're mainstream pop artists produced by a corporation to make the most money they can, but plenty are credible artists who happen to be women. The word 'girly' (music girls listen to?) is applied to artists who are seen as guilty pleasures for men, but are apparently fine for women to listen to because that's the only standard of music we're capable of enjoying. This contrasts with the 'cool' masculine bands of Oasis and The Rolling Stones who have some artistic merit (perhaps stretching it a bit with Oasis) who are seen that way because of their masculine image.

The second point is about when people on here try to deny that women have more difficulty making it as a serious musician. Those Oasis and Rolling Stones fans are less likely to respect a female artist because she is a woman. He cannot openly like her and will relegate her to a 'guilty pleasure'.
Original post by mistermeowingtons
Have so many guilty pleasures. Taylor Swift, Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, Regina Spektor, to name but a few.

Why do you consider Regina Spektor a guilty pleasure?
Reply 82
Original post by ArtGoblin
It says something about the way females are perceived in music that their music is seen as a guilty pleasure. Many of the artists listed here are guilty pleasures because they're mainstream pop artists produced by a corporation to make the most money they can, but plenty are credible artists who happen to be women. The word 'girly' (music girls listen to?) is applied to artists who are seen as guilty pleasures for men, but are apparently fine for women to listen to because that's the only standard of music we're capable of enjoying. This contrasts with the 'cool' masculine bands of Oasis and The Rolling Stones who have some artistic merit (perhaps stretching it a bit with Oasis) who are seen that way because of their masculine image.

The second point is about when people on here try to deny that women have more difficulty making it as a serious musician. Those Oasis and Rolling Stones fans are less likely to respect a female artist because she is a woman. He cannot openly like her and will relegate her to a 'guilty pleasure'.

Mhm very interesting, and you're correct. No one likes to admit they enjoy mainstream music... especially the likes of Katy Perry etc.

And aren't the likes of Katy Perry, Taylor Swift etc.. listened to predominantly by teenage girls anyway?

Perhaps that's what's girly about them. Who wants to admit to having the same music taste as a teenage girl... famous for High School Musical and Hannah Montana..

The likes of Regina Spektor and Christina Perri aren't girly artists. However Regina Spektor became famous after a couple of her songs were in some chick flicks and Christina Perri's most famous song is from Twilight.

Men associate that with teenage girls.. and thus they become 'guilty pleasures' .. even though they aren't really.

And yes men who listen to solely masculine music will of course deny themselves of enjoying music listened to predominantly by girls. But these men would never be the market for the artist anyway.

I'm pretty sure I'm correct in saying the most money nowadays comes from songs aimed at young girls..?

The likes of One Direction and Justin Bieber.

Any credible female artist will be enjoyed by both sexes.. any smart male will realise this does not mean he is any less masculine. But he's also not going to go shouting it out.. because other males may not be as smart.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by airdoc
[video="youtube;fWNaR-rxAic"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic[/video]

This my friends. Is perfection. :biggrin:

Statistics...

This video is most popular with:
Gender Age
Female 13-17
Female 18-24
Male 18-24

You're not alone :lol:
My friend has all of madonnas songs on his ipod and loves stuff like Rhianna, Gwen Steffani, Katie Perri and Lady Gaga.

Spoiler

I don't because I'm not a phaggot.
Original post by coolmushroom
I don't because I'm not a phaggot.

Do you have a TV and a fridge in your closet? Cause you haven't come out yet :colonhash:
um I've been listening to quite a lot of Skylar Grey and Titanium recently, not sure if that counts as "girly" though.

Maybe "Your Song" by Elton John? That song is a classic imo.
I love Katy B :daydreaming:
A new question that has arisen : What constitutes as a girly song?

Most presumably something that is to do with love/heartbreak/female empowerment and is relatively light-hearted in its sound & lyrics.

It's all about sound.

e.g. "California Gurls" is, essentially, about love/relationships and is a girly song.

"Kim" by Eminem is also about love/relationships but is NOT a girly song.
Original post by Newbie123
Most presumably something that is to do with love/heartbreak/female empowerment and is relatively light-hearted in its sound & lyrics.

It's all about sound.

e.g. "California Gurls" is, essentially, about love/relationships and is a girly song.

"Kim" by Eminem is also about love/relationships but is NOT a girly song.

To be fair it did start out girly...

Spoiler

Original post by HSG1992
To be fair it did start out girly...

Spoiler

Yah, I was like "WTF Shady, you've gone soft", then the screaming & the drums came in and you knew **** was getting serious.
Reply 92
Im straight male and about 70% of the songs on my ipod are probably classed as girly haha, oh wait strike that to 65% cos some people are saying Lana Del Rey isnt girly, oh actually put it up to 80% for my Hilary Duff songs :colondollar:
Reply 93
I really like Since you been gone by Kelly Clarkson.

Also that song by the artist kanye west insulted filmed on a subway train (Ohhhh I'd love to be on that carriage)

Like Madonna - Material girl.

And we all know Girls just wanna have fun is a classic for all :ahee:
(edited 11 years ago)
I wouldn't say any of my stuff is really girly.

Closest I probably get is Belle And Sebastian - although I'd say they're only really effeminate in comparison to the classic rock/punk/metal that I tend to listen to.
Reply 95

Can you please explain why people become so obsessed (being literal) with k-pop?

Kinda hard to explain... It's like falling in love with someone and become uber obsessed especially the fact that the media think there innocent little girls :s-smilie: But many people are mad about Sistar16,SNSD and Wondergirls. Personally i like Miss A because of their music
Reply 97
Original post by Setsuna-F-Seiei
Kinda hard to explain... It's like falling in love with someone and become uber obsessed especially the fact that the media think there innocent little girls :s-smilie: But many people are mad about Sistar16,SNSD and Wondergirls. Personally i like Miss A because of their music

Well thank you for your explanation. My friend who is obsessed with k-pop.. is literally obsessed with all things korean (suffice to say, she isn't Korean). 'Falling in love', I think probably is the best way to describe it.
Reply 98
Original post by nutrition2012
damn! you got to it first - I was gonna post it! :biggrin:

hehehe, I'm listening to it as I type :biggrin:
Reply 99
Original post by nutrition2012
I bet like me, you like the guy too :p:

loool, no I'm in love with Carly :biggrin:

Quick Reply