The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Spies by Michael Frayn. 'Meh', so far.
Reply 2061
Just finished "When Genius Failed", now starting "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham
Original post by HumiT
I'm halfway through Being Elizabeth by Barbara Taylor Bradford. I found it kinda boring so I'll finish that when I have no books left to read.

So I've started on Marshmallows for breakfast by Dorothy Koomson. Enjoying it :smile:

Well whenever I can find the time, Harry potter and the order of Phoenix.
Just finished the game of thrones last night, thought I'd take a break before starting the next book in the series. So started the fault in our stars last night and really enjoying it so far!
Reply 2064
Original post by Starrstruck

I've read the whole trilogy, the last book is really good. Don't you think Salander is one of the best characters you've ever come across?

Yup. :smile: She's one of the most complex and fascinating protagonists I've ever 'encountered'. The second one is not as good as the other two books though. I found it a bit cartoonish.
Rereading my Irvine Welsh collection in eager anticipation of Skagboys being released later this month. Excited.
Finished G.H.Hardy: A Mathematicians Apology last night. Now reading Fermats last Theorum by Simon Singh :biggrin:
I just got back from holiday in Cuba, where I managed to finish A Tale of Two Cities (enjoyed it, but not as much as other Dickens I have read (Oliver Twist and Great Expectations) or listened to (Nicholas Nickleby and David Copperfield)). I also read The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway. He spent a lot of time in Cuba and everyone was talking about him there, so thought it was worth a read. I enjoyed it, despite it being very very short, and think as a result I will read some more Hemmingway. I also finally got round to reading To Kill A Mockingbird, which I have been meaning to read for years, and it was as fantastic as everyone told me it would be. It is hard for a book to live up to such high expectations, but it really did. I do wish I had first read it when I was younger though. I would like to have done it at school. I also managed to get about 35% of the way through Les Miserables, which I am finding quite a struggle. I think there is a good story in there, and I am enjoying learning a bit more about what happened after the French Revolution after reading about it in A Tale of Two Cities, but he just constantly goes of on random tangents, and into insane amount of detail about things. There's also a bit too much religious stuff for my liking. I will persevere with it I think, now I have got this far, but I am struggling, and I don't tend to struggle even with large books. Has anyone here read Les Mis? Any thoughts/help with motivation to continue? I am definitely going to try and see the musical in the summer, I have no idea how they managed to turn such a huge book into a show, will be very interested to find out!
Reply 2068
Next I'm gonna read 'Minority Report' by Philip K. Dick
I finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy the other day, before that read Shadow of the Wind for the second time. I just can't get enough of that book, its so good and has set the bar so high for me that every other book disappoints me now Lol

Anyone that's read Shadow of the Wind recommend any other books that are similar?
re-reading the Harry Potter series for about the bazilionth time :tongue:

Curently on the goblet of fire ( which is my favourite :awesome:)
Reply 2071
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Just under half way in The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Absolutely brilliant.
Reply 2073
The Babylon Rite- Tom Knox
James Joyce-Dubliners
Reply 2075
Reading Divergent by Veronica Roth atm, haven't really got into it yet but it's got a decent premise.
Ærlighetsminuttet by Bjørn Sortland
Fyodor Dostoyevsky -The Brothers Karamazov. It's such a great book. Has anyone else read it?
Reply 2078
Shakespeare by Bill Bryson.
Not quite as funny as his travel books but its very interesting.
Really enjoying it actually!
Reply 2079
The Death of Ivan Illyich by Tolstoy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending