The Student Room Group

How far are you into your revision for GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CharlieBoardman
Yes, it's very time efficient :biggrin: I've always been an incredibly early finisher too. I can usually do a Maths Exam 3 times in the given time limit. And when I say 3, I don't mean once and then 2 skims over. I mean doing every single step all over again, 3 times.
English on the other hand... Don't get me started -.-

Are you doing the modular or linear maths course?

Yep, papers like these are a treat to be able to do this quick yet retain the high mark :biggrin: I'm doing the linear Edexcel course so I have a calculator and non-calculator exam coming up in 2 months time! What about you?
Well, I was doing the Modular Course. I sat Paper 1&2 last year, and should have been sitting the final paper in the next couple of months. But when we first began Year 11 in September, our Maths Teacher had a sudden change of mind, and asked us all if we were willing to sit the Linear papers in November. He believed we were prepared for it, and thought it would be a good idea to get Maths GCSE out of the way so that we could focus on other subjects. So we sat it :smile: So I have my A* now, and now I'm doing the FSMQ Additional Maths, and the exam is on the same day as my P3 Exam lol.

Linear is so easy. Seriously! If you're getting A*'s now, you have nothing to worry about :smile:
Reply 22
I'm going to start revising tomorrow.
I usually revise a week before the exam. I know this sounds incredibly laid back and lazy, but it's how I learn best. I work hard in lessons and make sure I understand everything so I usually just go over everything a few days before. I'm only going to start revising the stuff I'm really unsure about.
Reply 23
Original post by Deziah
I'm going to start revising tomorrow.
I usually revise a week before the exam. I know this sounds incredibly laid back and lazy, but it's how I learn best. I work hard in lessons and make sure I understand everything so I usually just go over everything a few days before. I'm only going to start revising the stuff I'm really unsure about.

If I did this I would get very stressed about not covering everything in time because although I work hard in lessons I know there is some things that the teachers will not have chance to cover
Original post by Caz.123
If I did this I would get very stressed about not covering everything in time because although I work hard in lessons I know there is some things that the teachers will not have chance to cover

I agree. I would have to make sure I know the ins and outs of every topic. I have never gone into an Exam unsure about something, and I hope I never have to!
The early you start preparing, the more prepared you are, right?
Reply 25
Haven't started yet.
Reply 26
I agree. I would have to make sure I know the ins and outs of every topic. I have never gone into an Exam unsure about something, and I hope I never have to!
The early you start preparing, the more prepared you are, right?

My thoughts exactly, little and often is the best way to get it stuck in your head :smile:
I'll start tomorrow, I promise :ninja:
How many subjects are you all revising for? It seems I am revising for considerably less exams than some of you!
Reply 29
How many subjects are you all revising for? It seems I am revising for considerably less exams than some of you!

I have 11 subjects, 16 exams
Original post by Caz.123
I have 11 subjects, 16 exams

Bloody hell. I have 8 Exams, 2 of which are a doddle.
Well, I was doing the Modular Course. I sat Paper 1&2 last year, and should have been sitting the final paper in the next couple of months. But when we first began Year 11 in September, our Maths Teacher had a sudden change of mind, and asked us all if we were willing to sit the Linear papers in November. He believed we were prepared for it, and thought it would be a good idea to get Maths GCSE out of the way so that we could focus on other subjects. So we sat it :smile: So I have my A* now, and now I'm doing the FSMQ Additional Maths, and the exam is on the same day as my P3 Exam lol.

Linear is so easy. Seriously! If you're getting A*'s now, you have nothing to worry about :smile:

Haha congratulations! Unlucky about the P3 thing.... I've got my Economics exam that same day and I know some people who have physics, economics and the FSMQ on the same day :rolleyes: just glad my exams start a week later than most of my fellow classmates because I took German instead of French. I hope what you say about the A*s is right! It is quite motivating :biggrin:
Original post by Dandaman9999
Haha congratulations! Unlucky about the P3 thing.... I've got my Economics exam that same day and I know some people who have physics, economics and the FSMQ on the same day :rolleyes: just glad my exams start a week later than most of my fellow classmates because I took German instead of French. I hope what you say about the A*s is right! It is quite motivating :biggrin:

Thanks :smile: I really don't mind doing P3 as FSMQ on the same day, I love Maths as Physics :biggrin: Maths and Physics and economics would be torture though!! /:
By the sound of it, you should get an A*... Expect ally as you have another 2 months! What score are you averaging on past papers?
Thanks :smile: I really don't mind doing P3 as FSMQ on the same day, I love Maths as Physics :biggrin: Maths and Physics and economics would be torture though!! /:
By the sound of it, you should get an A*... Expect ally as you have another 2 months! What score are you averaging on past papers?

No problem :smile: Right now I'm averaging around 94% on maths papers which I am really pleased with :biggrin: but haven't really started any past papers for other subjects which I am not as strong on, so will probably do those soon :cool: What A-Levels are you hoping to take?
No problem :smile: Right now I'm averaging around 94% on maths papers which I am really pleased with :biggrin: but haven't really started any past papers for other subjects which I am not as strong on, so will probably do those soon :cool: What A-Levels are you hoping to take?

You've nailed it then. You've got no worries about getting your A*! :smile: I'd concentrate on your other exams now to be honest!
I will be taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at AS. Then Maths, FM and Physics to A2.
But if you take FM at the college which I am going to, you do the whole Maths A Level in year12 and the whole FM A Level in year13. So in year12 I will e doing A Level Maths and AS phys/chem/bio (I will drop bio if it gets too much)
And in year13 I will be doing FM A Level and Physics A2, along with an Extended Project in an area of Maths or Physics :smile:

You?
You've nailed it then. You've got no worries about getting your A*! :smile: I'd concentrate on your other exams now to be honest!
I will be taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at AS. Then Maths, FM and Physics to A2.
But if you take FM at the college which I am going to, you do the whole Maths A Level in year12 and the whole FM A Level in year13. So in year12 I will e doing A Level Maths and AS phys/chem/bio (I will drop bio if it gets too much)
And in year13 I will be doing FM A Level and Physics A2, along with an Extended Project in an area of Maths or Physics :smile:

You?

Nice! Wouldn't it be extremely difficult to do the whole Maths A-Level in one year? And if you ace all 5 As Levels and the 3 A2s (which, considering how much you enjoy and are good at maths and physics, I think you can) then I think that is a very solid base for you at uni :smile:

I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History, hopefully all to A2, as well as the Extended Project to try and get into medicine :smile:
Nice! Wouldn't it be extremely difficult to do the whole Maths A-Level in one year? And if you ace all 5 As Levels and the 3 A2s (which, considering how much you enjoy and are good at maths and physics, I think you can) then I think that is a very solid base for you at uni :smile:

I am doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History, hopefully all to A2, as well as the Extended Project to try and get into medicine :smile:

Everybody who take FM at my college will do A-Level Maths all in one year. They do it like that at a lot of other colleges too.
The modules that we will cove in Year12 are; C1, C2, S1, D1, M1 and Further Pure1. This will make up our Maths A-Level. Considering I already know most of C1&2, and I will begin to study S1,D1 and M1 in a few weeks, I should be ok :smile:
It would be very good if I aced all those AS's, but it is a big workload. If I can't cope, I'm dropping Bio straight away, as it's unneccesary for what I want to do, and it could be detrimental to my other grades...

Medicine ey! Lots of competition there! Very good field to work in though :smile: setting your aspirations high I see :biggrin:

By the way, I probably won't reply now, I'm getting up early... Doing lots of revision again tomorrow! (Well, today)
Speak to you tomorrow sometime
Everybody who take FM at my college will do A-Level Maths all in one year. They do it like that at a lot of other colleges too.
The modules that we will cove in Year12 are; C1, C2, S1, D1, M1 and Further Pure1. This will make up our Maths A-Level. Considering I already know most of C1&2, and I will begin to study S1,D1 and M1 in a few weeks, I should be ok :smile:
It would be very good if I aced all those AS's, but it is a big workload. If I can't cope, I'm dropping Bio straight away, as it's unneccesary for what I want to do, and it could be detrimental to my other grades...

Medicine ey! Lots of competition there! Very good field to work in though :smile: setting your aspirations high I see :biggrin:

By the way, I probably won't reply now, I'm getting up early... Doing lots of revision again tomorrow! (Well, today)
Speak to you tomorrow sometime

Oh I see. I think our college might do that as well but it slipped my mind! If you reckon that Biology will affect the results of your other A Levels then I recommend you should drop it as it is not vital for Maths/Physics at uni (but obviously see how it goes next year :tongue: ).

The competition in medicine is quite a lot, but I am really hoping I can see this career path through :smile:

I agree, its getting rather late... I better get off to bed as well. Ttyl.

You?

Good plan, definitely don't take chem to A2 like i did!
Reply 39
I've got 6 exams coming up in May/June and i'm breaking up from school today. I was thinking about 2 hours a day would be sufficient but now i'm unsure. How do you revise? e.g notes,revision cards,reading,pastpapers etc

Quick Reply

Latest