The Student Room Group

What do you Brits have against Americans?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I have no problem with Americans as long as they don't believe that their country is utopia and can recognize the faults in their country (not necessary self-hating about being American but just realistic).

Most Americans can recognise the imperfections/faults in their country though, except the rednecks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
I forgot to mention spelling! I mean, "aluminum"? Really? :tongue: the pronunciation irritates me too, like saying "I-raq" instead of "ir-RAQ" :tongue:

I disagree that Americans are very liberal, look at their attitude to abortion.

So how is aluminum spelled in the UK?
Reply 62
Original post by Kdm4life
So how is aluminum spelled in the UK?

How it should be spelt. Aluminium. :tongue:

This came out in The Guardian, which is for those who don't know a left-wing newspaper (not my typical paper of choice) just over two months ago. Thought it might provide some amusement... http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/feb/17/stereotype-maps-tsvetkov

<3 x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
You elected George W Bush President, twice (albeit initially amid serious voting irregularities). Do you require further reasons?
The way I see it is that we all, as in the world, make fun of each other from time to time (said a bit loosely). Different ways...different reactions. Once people get passed that to see the actual person for who they are, things are different. If they refuse to see it, that's their loss. I think its rather fascinating we're all different and can do different things. For example, make fun all you want, but I can't make tea to save my life. I somehow mastered it tasting like plastic (don't ask). But I can cook from eggs to pizza and bake. I hope my little analogy makes sense; if not, just ignore it. Just making a point.
Reply 65
Santorum <3
When you say 'British' to refer to the English and 'England' when you're referring to the United Kingdom. It's not that hard.
Reply 67
Original post by LETSJaM
How it should be spelt. Aluminium. :tongue:

This came out in The Guardian, which is for those who don't know a left-wing newspaper (not my typical paper of choice) just over two months ago. Thought it might provide some amusement... http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/feb/17/stereotype-maps-tsvetkov

<3 x

Lol aluminium looks hideous. Thats probably why we got rid of the silent I.
Reply 68
hmmmmm. funny how you can get away with this.

then i realise the tone isn't that dark to get worked up about.
I'm American and I agree: Americans are pretty much just a bunch of stupid, overweight, insular people who talk too loud. Yes, it is a generalization. But it is a generalization with a smaller margin of error than most.

Luckily, due to the blatant inequality our nation's political and social systems create, there is also the top 1-2% of people who obtain a world-class education and success in business and politics. These people are smart. Unbelievably smart. And that's why we run the world.
Lmao I really cant argue with anything you just said.

Care to clarify? Can't argue for what reason?
Lol aluminium looks hideous. Thats probably why we got rid of the silent I.

:facepalm: It's not silent.

In England one says

A-loo-MIN-ee-um

and not

A-LOO-min-um

as you say in America (which, by the way, is a hideous way of saying it :P ).
Reply 72
Original post by alexs2602
Care to clarify? Can't argue for what reason?

Because everything he said was true(idk about the accent thing lol).
People who make stupid comments on the internet really aren't worth paying attention to and they are definitely not representative of everyone. Its usually just harmless banter when people say it, I doubt many people actually mean the crap they come out with.
I dont think Brit are really against Americans only like the Rednecks and Republican idiots , most of whats said is just banter between the two and stereotyping one another. Hell you guys are allies :P
I just dislike the accent. I mean, I really hate it. Although most of my friends are internationals from Germany, Russia, Poland, Mongolia etc... Their accents don't annoy me. I think its just me being a douche but oh well. I love you guys really.
Reply 76
Im American, and I've always been fascinated by other cultures, particularly the British culture. Naturally, I started doing research, and came across numerous(at least a dozen that i actually watched, but there were plenty more) Youtube videos of British people bashing Americans. At first, I thought these were isolated incidents, then I discovered this site, and also discovered that arguably the majority of the people on this site also seem to have some sort of deep seated hatred of Americans. I didnt let it perturb me however, and decided to Study Abroad in London at KCL. I got there in a joyous mood, but that mood was soon changed when I realised that me and my friends were automatically being categorized as fat, dumb, and unaware of world events, purely because we were American(We are the opposite of all three). We were also criticized for not understanding British slang and for "not speaking proper English".

Can someone please explain to me where this is coming from. I dont like to make generalizations, but all of the experiences that I have had with British people have involved them making fun of the US in some way, shape, or form. Is it jealousy? I personally dont see what there is to be jealous about, but I cant really think of any other reason. I know that you all are not like this, but why do British people take the worst possible stereotypes of Americans and push them on all of us?

Unfortunately most Brit's are racist and ignorant.
I would say most of it comes from American TV shows. Like in the simpsons, all the men are fat. Or from documentaries about extreme obesity in the US. And other American soaps where every one is so simple minded..

But the one thing you should know is that for us Brits, that is our kind of comedy. We love taking the mickey out of everyone (ourselves included) and we love it, and find it hilarious.
So I would suggest not getting annoyed at it and playing along.

And hey, you Americans sterotype the Brits, you all think we live in London, eat scones and have tea with the Queen...
Oh and it really annoys me the way you pronounce aluminium and tomato and zebra etc...
And then say that it is the correct pronunciation.
Im American, and I've always been fascinated by other cultures, particularly the British culture. Naturally, I started doing research, and came across numerous(at least a dozen that i actually watched, but there were plenty more) Youtube videos of British people bashing Americans. At first, I thought these were isolated incidents, then I discovered this site, and also discovered that arguably the majority of the people on this site also seem to have some sort of deep seated hatred of Americans. I didnt let it perturb me however, and decided to Study Abroad in London at KCL. I got there in a joyous mood, but that mood was soon changed when I realised that me and my friends were automatically being categorized as fat, dumb, and unaware of world events, purely because we were American(We are the opposite of all three). We were also criticized for not understanding British slang and for "not speaking proper English".

Can someone please explain to me where this is coming from. I dont like to make generalizations, but all of the experiences that I have had with British people have involved them making fun of the US in some way, shape, or form. Is it jealousy? I personally dont see what there is to be jealous about, but I cant really think of any other reason. I know that you all are not like this, but why do British people take the worst possible stereotypes of Americans and push them on all of us?

I think you just met some narrow-minded, ignorant british people. The culture of extreme teen pregnancy, heavy underaged drinking and then trying to justify it is nothing to boast about in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest