The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is anyone else disappointed by declining standards in spoken English in Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by ROYP
To clear up man dem and dench - man dem comes from Jamaica where they used 'dem' to pluralise and DENCH is something I see on twitter, popularised by Lethal B (rapper) and Emanuel Frimpong (footballer) which I'm yet to fully understand

Is it just me or does lethal b have a speech impediment and acts pretty retarded?
Reply 101
Original post by whyumadtho
Can you reconcile your antithetical positions?

pm me love. it's not relevant to this thread. missed you btw. :pierre:
Original post by simonbellringer
Yes, I am disappointed, and worried about these falling standards, both spoken and written. It's America's influence firstly and foremostly I think, taking our language (as they have not got one of their own which they detest, may I point out!!) and murdering it. Combine Indians and Asians (in particular, though they are not alone in language barriers here,) speaking with heavy accents, making what they are saying impossible to understand, which is dreadful as I work in a supermarket and I can hardly understand about 10% of what my customers are trying to ask me!!

Another factor is an ever-increasing influx of immigrants who can either not speak English, or who only speak it badly. This all leads to worryingly falling standards.

Fillers such as "you know" hack me off - no, I DON'T know what you want to say, that's why I am waiting for you to tell me, you twit!! "Like" as well is another one. And "she went" - WHERE did she go? NOT what she said, that is dreadful grammar!! :rolleyes:

Plus it is worrying the rising number of children leaving secondary school who are all but completely illiterate and worries rise - most likely they won't be able to get a job (particularly in this current economic climate,) so us, the taxpayers in years to come, will have to fund them living on the dole.

My God. I think you need to take a little more of a sympathetic approach, and if that is too much for you: at least try not to make sweeping generalisations. =/
Original post by Bonged.
Explains your lack of knowledge of this particular form of "language" and the customary behaviour of it's speakers.

London's just a barrel of laughs for rich people. Like some kind of urban safari I imagine. Different if you have to live with the ****ers.
What is your view on people who don't know how to use possessive apostrophes properly?
Reply 104
Original post by Bonged.
Is it just me or does lethal b have a speech impediment and acts pretty retarded?

acts pretty hilarious on youtube
Reply 105
What is your view on people who don't know how to use possessive apostrophes properly?

Disinterested. Maybe if they start mugging old grannies I'll get interested. lol.
Original post by Bonged.
pm me love. it's not relevant to this thread. missed you btw. :pierre:

How is it not relevant? It's a direct and pertinent response to what you said. Reconcile your antithetical positions: do you want communication to be with the intention of conveying information in the simplest way possible or via the use of erudite language, despite it being '[needless]'?
Reply 107
Original post by ROYP
acts pretty hilarious on youtube

not really. I meant he acts like he has sub par intelligence. Constant jerking, short attention span etc etc.
Original post by Bonged.
Disinterested. Maybe if they start mugging old grannies I'll get interested. lol.

So it's not the non-standard use of the English language that concerns you?
Reply 109
How is it not relevant? It's a direct and pertinent response to what you said. Reconcile your antithetical positions: do you want communication to be with the intention of conveying information in the simplest way possible or via the use of erudite language, despite it being '[needless]'?

:dunce: erm, somewhere in the middle in a standard non formal setting. Obviously using needlessly verbose vocabulary simply hinders communication as it is cumbersome. Conversely, it's best not to sound like you've got mental dench problems. lol.
Reply 110
So it's not the non-standard use of the English language that concerns you?

Evidently it is a mix of the two factors. The fact that jafaican speakers tend to have a remarkably small vocabulary and that they tend to be worthless scumbags.
The ancient "their they're there" debate never ceases to amaze me.... People, it's not hard!
Also people who can't tell the difference between "could of" and "could have" and the difference between "less" and "fewer". I was in a supermarket the other day and they'd managed to use less in place of fewer on a rather large sign. Nice one!
Original post by Bonged.
:dunce: erm, somewhere in the middle in a standard non formal setting. Obviously using needlessly verbose vocabulary simply hinders communication as it is cumbersome. Conversely, it's best not to sound like you've got mental dench problems. lol.
All of which is relative. They have conveyed the information necessary in the most natural way possible given the situation. Why do you want them to actively moderate their language to ensure eavesdroppers understand them?
Reply 113
All of which is relative. They have conveyed the information necessary in the most natural way possible given the situation. Why do you want them to actively moderate their language to ensure eavesdroppers understand them?

You fail to understand that the people that speak like this cannot easily modify their method of speech. I can still hear the lahk as opposed to like etc. It just makes you look like a knuckle dragger.

It's not about eavesdropping, it's about being coherent to your "fellow members of the community" (lol). I often can't understand them, and I grew up with the creatures, I can't imagine how incoherent they must seem to an employer or people at a uni interview etc.
Reply 114
Well put it this way, the way people speak English has always been changing and will change in the future. There seems to be less of that "clean" traditional British accent around, but some regional accents I find okay, they don't bother me.
However the accents in the North West really bother me, well, in some places around the area where I live anyway. It's just lazy English, some people don't pronounce words properly by missing out letter, such as the "t" in "but" and do it constantly, over and over again and it's just sloppy English that gets to a point that it just bothers you. If you was in the area I'm at you'd know what I'm talking about..

I'm disappointed more in the moral decline in my age group through. Teens.....ugh. So little respect from many of them...
Original post by Bonged.
Evidently it is a mix of the two factors. The fact that jafaican speakers tend to have a remarkably small vocabulary
You don't know the extent of their vocabulary at all. People change their vocabularies depending on the circumstance.

So, per se, it isn't the non-standard use of English that concerns you?

and that they tend to be worthless scumbags.
Irrelevant.
Reply 116
Original post by L_Vieru
Well put it this way, the way people speak English has always been changing and will change in the future. There seems to be less of that "clean" traditional British accent around, but some regional accents I find okay, they don't bother me.
However the accents in the North West really bother me, well, in some places around the area where I live anyway. It's just lazy English, some people don't pronounce words properly by missing out letter, such as the "t" in "but" and do it constantly, over and over again and it's just sloppy English that gets to a point that it just bothers you. If you was in the area I'm at you'd know what I'm talking about..

I'm disappointed more in the moral decline in my age group through. Teens.....ugh. So little respect from many of them...

this is part of the problem, people associate this particular form of speech with moral decline through experience of the utter immorality of it's users.
Reply 117
You don't know the extent of their vocabulary at all. People change their vocabularies depending on the circumstance.

So, per se, it isn't the non-standard use of English that concerns you?

Irrelevant.

no, per se its what i actually said, its a mix.

I grew up with these "people" I know their average intelligence and that it is frightfully low.

:pierre:
Original post by Bonged.
You fail to understand that the people that speak like this cannot easily modify their method of speech. I can still hear the lahk as opposed to like etc. It just makes you look like a knuckle dragger.
There are various dialects across the country and I still don't know why you have a specific problem with this dialect per se. The Syndicate on BBC demonstrates the dialect and accent seen in parts of Leeds, for example. Everyone has an idiosyncratic intonation to their voice; it's how you are capable of identifying people from the sound they produce alone.

It's not about eavesdropping, it's about being coherent to your "fellow members of the community" (lol). I often can't understand them, and I grew up with the creatures, I can't imagine how incoherent they must seem to an employer or people at a uni interview etc.
My point exactly. You don't know how they behave in different situations. There are obviously substantial portions of the population who can understand them, else the dialect wouldn't be so salient.
(edited 12 years ago)
When I see all the negative rep on the OP, I start to question the sanity of some people on here.

Latest

Trending

Trending