The Student Room Group

Is my Uni hope over for this year?

Hi, I submitted an application in January for 4 universities doing Sport degrees, which I got all conditionals with. However since then I have changed my mind on what I want to do, which would mean doing a Business Information Technology degree. Is there any way I can apply for this this year? Obviously I could go through clearing but would this be really complicated due to having to apply for late finances, never been to the unis or found accommodation etc? Any alternatives would be great as I would prefer not to have to take a gap year.
Many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Ryan.93
Hi, I submitted an application in January for 4 universities doing Sport degrees, which I got all conditionals with. However since then I have changed my mind on what I want to do, which would mean doing a Business Information Technology degree. Is there any way I can apply for this this year? Obviously I could go through clearing but would this be really complicated due to having to apply for late finances, never been to the unis or found accommodation etc? Any alternatives would be great as I would prefer not to have to take a gap year.
Many thanks

UCAS Extra?

http://www.ucas.com/students/offers/extra

Means you have to reject all your offers first though :smile:
Reply 2
For Extra though you have to have applied for 5, I only applied for 4 unfortunately :frown:
Original post by Ryan.93
For Extra though you have to have applied for 5, I only applied for 4 unfortunately :frown:

You can still apply for another one, making 5. Your application will be late and probably rejected, but then you could use extra.
Reply 4
Original post by Ryan.93
Many thanks

You could contact your firm direct and see if it would be possible for them to transfer you to the other course.
Reply 5
I'm in the same situation! Apart from I want to swap my 3 conditionals for Sociology, for Magazine Journalism and Feature Writing. I sent off 2 late applications for this course but both got rejected,I feel because I rushed through everything. I'm going to do year 14 to get more qualifications and UCAS points, and I'm using that year to look round more unis and make more informed decisions so that this time next year, I have offers and everything sorted out as opposed to rushing and applying everything late.

However, if you really want to go this year, you have two (I think) options. Submit late applications (email the uni, they may say 'yes,just send us a new personal statement' or 'no.' :P Your second option is Extra.
Reply 6
Unless im doing something stupid, Its not letting me choose another choice on UCAS, is it because ive already rejected the 4?
Jellybean - when you say email the uni, does that mean I can do it all directly through the unis?
Cheers for the response guys, apart from ken clarke, narrow-minded idiot.
Reply 7
Since you have only used 4 choices you can add one Business Information Technology course at one uni without having to decline your current four offers.

Firstly you need to write a new personal statement for Business Information Technology, then find a uni offering the course which you like the look of and is still accepting applications, you should then contact them to make sure they are as UCAS may have not updated that they now aren't and also ask if you can send your new personal statement for them to look at instead of your old one for Sport.

Once you've found one who will consider you and accept the new statement then you can choose to add them as your 5th choice, and then reply to your offers once you have heard back from them. I wouldn't cancel your sport offers until you need to because you may change your mind again and until you've heard from a 5th choice you have nothing to gain from declining them.
Reply 8
Cheers, as i've said though I have already rejected the 4 which has seemed to cause implications.
Reply 9
Original post by Ryan.93
Cheers, as i've said though I have already rejected the 4 which has seemed to cause implications.

Oh sorry I thought you still had the offers. If you accept/reject your offers then it doesn't let you add the extra choice unfortunately and I don't think you can use Extra because you didn't use all 5 choices. But providing you have only declined the choices and not withdraw/cancelled the entire application then you will automatically go into Clearing and once you have your results will be able to apply to courses in clearing.

You will need a new personal statement for Business Information Technology which you can write now, and even if you don't manage to find a uni you like in clearing you can save the statement for next year and just edit it a little if you want to add anything.

If you have withdrawn/cancelled the entire application though then you'll need to wait until next year to apply.
Original post by Ryan.93
Unless im doing something stupid, Its not letting me choose another choice on UCAS, is it because ive already rejected the 4?
Jellybean - when you say email the uni, does that mean I can do it all directly through the unis?
Cheers for the response guys, apart from ken clarke, narrow-minded idiot.

I think so. Basically, one of my offers was Sociology conditional from Loughborough. I emailed them and told them I had a change of heart, wanted to change course and start this year,could I? they emailed back saying 'Yes,please just submit a new personal statement for your new subject and your application will be considered.' So It's worth a shot :smile:
Reply 11
I agree with roh. It's often possible to change your course at the university. My friend for example switched from Sociology to History. Give admissions a ring and discuss your options.

Quick Reply

Latest