insurance for pharmacy!

Sameee :smile:
Reply 662
Has everyone seen the new accommodation prices? :cry2:

So unfair.
Original post by Liam_G
Has everyone seen the new accommodation prices? :cry2:

So unfair.

Hall prices are completely unacceptable here. The ownership changed to a private company in January and shock horror, they've jacked up the prices further.

I'm paying £90 p/w in Wessex this year, next year its £98. Thats fine, but the cheapest hall after that is something like £5k+ a year, which is a complete joke.
Reply 664
Original post by Randomized
Hall prices are completely unacceptable here. The ownership changed to a private company in January and shock horror, they've jacked up the prices further.

I'm paying £90 p/w in Wessex this year, next year its £98. Thats fine, but the cheapest hall after that is something like £5k+ a year, which is a complete joke.

What's Wessex like? Would you recommend it?

I wanted to go to Sherfield, which is £120 a week this year, but next year it's £130.48.

At £120 a week it was already loads more expensive than the accommodation of other universities, but I was willing to push for the extra couple of quid to get into Sherfield because I love the halls there. But £130.48!? It's ridiculous. Why do they suddenly need £420 more from us next year?

Grrrrrr. People in Sherfield this year are paying £3000 tuition fees and £120 a week for accommodation, and next year people are expected to pay £9000 a year (possibly for a worse standard of education, given the massive governmental budget cuts) and £130.48 a week for exactly the same living conditions (if not worse living conditions, with the halls being one year older)

Give us a break for once :unimpressed:
Reply 665

completely agree! i'd already firmed assuming the accommodation prices which are already high wouldn't change too much. the hall i planned on applying for has gone up by £1000ish per year!! ridiculously angry. to be paying over £5000 per year for no-ensuite and a 15 min walk to the main campus is insane when compared to other universities, where you can get normally get the nicest accommodation for that price.

I'm paying £92 p/w catered in Wantage this year, but that's because I share a room! My rent, for a single room, is going up to £129 p/w next year. Accommodation is very expensive, but some are more reasonable than others.
Original post by Liam_G
What's Wessex like? Would you recommend it?

I wanted to go to Sherfield, which is £120 a week this year, but next year it's £130.48.

At £120 a week it was already loads more expensive than the accommodation of other universities, but I was willing to push for the extra couple of quid to get into Sherfield because I love the halls there. But £130.48!? It's ridiculous. Why do they suddenly need £420 more from us next year?

Grrrrrr. People in Sherfield this year are paying £3000 tuition fees and £120 a week for accommodation, and next year people are expected to pay £9000 a year (possibly for a worse standard of education, given the massive governmental budget cuts) and £130.48 a week for exactly the same living conditions (if not worse living conditions, with the halls being one year older)

Give us a break for once :unimpressed:

I'd recommend Wessex to anyone, i absolutely love it here and its easy to see why it is the most popular hall. Because its on a corridor it is ridiculously easy to make friends, i've met so many awesome people. I've been to most halls and its by far the most sociable, only St Pats and Sibly come close. The facilities obviously don't compare to Mackinder/Stenton but they're still fine! Rooms are a decent size, toilets/showers are always free and downstairs you've got a tv room, library, a massive hall (with a ping pong table) and a bar. My group are the only ones who regularly use the bar and i don't understand why, because its really good! Wokingham Road nearby has a regular bus service and loads of shops including Dominos and Subway, and you can easily get food delivered (most of us use Asda). 5 minute walk from the centre of campus as well.

I know a few people in Sherfield and they have all formed really close groups with their flat, but they don't know too many people outside their block. It is one of the quieter halls, but they group all the freshers together so you should be fine :smile: The rooms are really nice too, but i'm assuming you've seen those already.
Reply 668
I'd recommend Wessex to anyone, i absolutely love it here and its easy to see why it is the most popular hall. Because its on a corridor it is ridiculously easy to make friends, i've met so many awesome people. I've been to most halls and its by far the most sociable, only St Pats and Sibly come close. The facilities obviously don't compare to Mackinder/Stenton but they're still fine! Rooms are a decent size, toilets/showers are always free and downstairs you've got a tv room, library, a massive hall (with a ping pong table) and a bar. My group are the only ones who regularly use the bar and i don't understand why, because its really good! Wokingham Road nearby has a regular bus service and loads of shops including Dominos and Subway, and you can easily get food delivered (most of us use Asda). 5 minute walk from the centre of campus as well.

I know a few people in Sherfield and they have all formed really close groups with their flat, but they don't know too many people outside their block. It is one of the quieter halls, but they group all the freshers together so you should be fine :smile:

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it :bigsmile:

...The rooms are really nice too, but i'm assuming you've seen those already.

Seen them? I'm in one right now :flute:
Reply 669
I've got Reading as my insurance for English Literature and Language A*BB/ABB :smile: Loved it when I visited!
Reply 670
hi! was just wondering what the catered option for halls is like? does anyone have experience of living in st patrick's hall/wantage hall or know anything about them?
thanks! :smile:
Original post by Zu!
hi! was just wondering what the catered option for halls is like? does anyone have experience of living in st patrick's hall/wantage hall or know anything about them?
thanks! :smile:

Well the catered food isn't anything special, it's food at the end of the day.

Living in St. Pat's is good, personally if you like to be social and party a lot go for New Court, otherwise for a quieter atmosphere go for Old Court.
Hey I just firmed my offer for Graphic Communication and wanted to go for a self catered hall with en-suite... but now I've been reading some of this thread and I'm worried I'd be missing out on the social aspect of somewhere like Wessex. I'm quite sure I want an en-suite so is there anywhere that still has a decent social? Was looking at Benyon, Sherfield and St George's... all still so expensive:frown:
Thankssssssssss
Reply 673
Original post by Chasethebase
Well the catered food isn't anything special, it's food at the end of the day.

Living in St. Pat's is good, personally if you like to be social and party a lot go for New Court, otherwise for a quieter atmosphere go for Old Court.

thanks! do you reckon it's better than wantage?
Hi!
I have Reading as my firm for English Literature! Who else does? :smile:
Reply 675
Anyone's accommodation app actually working?
Original post by alextee93
Is anyone applying for animal science? I accepted Reading as my firm :smile:

I applied for animal science as well! :smile: and accepted it as my firm choice :smile:
Reply 677
Original post by SeanaMay
Anyone's accommodation app actually working?

wasn't a couple of hours ago! but now it is :smile: hope yours worked!
Reply 678
Original post by Batchelora
Hi!
I have Reading as my firm for English Literature! Who else does? :smile:

firm for english lit and french :smile: hi!
Firm for English Lit and Politics :smile:

Latest