The Student Room Group
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website

HPAT Ulster 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Hey everyone, new to this but have offer for physio at uu so any other MATURE students out there be starting this course?? :eek: panicking a little!!!!!
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website
Reply 141
Original post by kathrynaye
Who's firming Diagnostic Radiography? :smile:

I'll be firming it :smile:
Reply 142
any mature students firming diagnostic?
I think Diagnostic Radiography is back on the menu for me! Looking at all my options, still can't decide what to pick though. Got Diagnostic Radiography (UUJ), Zoology (Queens), Biomedical (UUC) and Biological Science (Queens). Anyone else have a plethora of choices like me and unsure? lol.. I like choice, hate decisions! haha, glad we get until 5th June, want to to get firm and insurance well in before that though.

Won't be going for 2012 entry though, 2013 as I'll be on a gap year.
Reply 144
Original post by gillhere
Hey everyone, new to this but have offer for physio at uu so any other MATURE students out there be starting this course?? :eek: panicking a little!!!!!

Define MATURE? You'll be fine I'm sure...
I firmed Diagnostic Radiography :smile:
Reply 146
Original post by legallyblondexo
Hi :smile: is anyone doing OT and can help me with details on funding etc? i'm really confused!! Do we pay fees or is it supported by the NHS I was told that it was funded and we didn't have to pay any fees but now I keep hearing different things,can anyone help?:confused:

Hi I am doing OT as well and phoned Student Finance. I completed form online and then they sent me out a form for a loan. The fees are paid for and you can apply for a grant and a student loan. I have to send my husbands wage slips in as it is means tested but the grant does not get paid back, the loan does. You fill out the form either online or through post and that registers you, then when the Uni confirm you are starting with them, they then start processing your application. Hope this helps a bit.

Where will you be travelling from?
Reply 147
Original post by Barney01
Hi I am doing OT as well and phoned Student Finance. I completed form online and then they sent me out a form for a loan. The fees are paid for and you can apply for a grant and a student loan. I have to send my husbands wage slips in as it is means tested but the grant does not get paid back, the loan does. You fill out the form either online or through post and that registers you, then when the Uni confirm you are starting with them, they then start processing your application. Hope this helps a bit.

Where will you be travelling from?

I was quite confused about this as well because I was filling in my student finance form online and when I entered the course I'm doing it came up at the side that if you recieve a means tested bursary then you can't apply for student finance.. :s
Reply 148
Original post by BillyBrid
I heard that Speech and Language is usually about the 96th percentile - I got in the 97th so I'm really hoping for an offer!!

Hi there,

Congrats on getting place on Speech and Language Therapy. I am applying for next year. Just wondering is their any prep you would advise for the Hpat? Perhaps some books I can get. Thanks so much.
Reply 149
Original post by rachelv63
I was quite confused about this as well because I was filling in my student finance form online and when I entered the course I'm doing it came up at the side that if you recieve a means tested bursary then you can't apply for student finance.. :s

Hi Sorry for late reply, computer had broken. Although your fees are paid for you, you can still apply for a grant and a loan. The loan is means tested. Hope this helps a bit. If you phone them they will send you out the right form. Some people (like I did) thought that the bursary was the same as the nurses but we dont get that.
Reply 150
Any else doing O.T?
Reply 151
Anyone have any tips on the Hpat? Any books I should be getting to practise?
I'm going to apply for SALT and OT next year but I heard it was very difficult?
Really appreciate your advice.
Original post by shinesun

the only practice i did was the practice papers on the website and also the southern webpage too. I thought i did really really badly but still got offered a place so make of that what u will.
I guess u could get one of those books with problems in it to practice but i didnt, good luck!
Reply 153
Hi there,

Congrats on getting place on Speech and Language Therapy. I am applying for next year. Just wondering is their any prep you would advise for the Hpat? Perhaps some books I can get. Thanks so much.

The only prep I did was the test paper on the HPAT website - and that was the morning of the exam! I already had a degree, though, so I think that helped. Just stay confident and you will be fine. Best of luck!
Hey everybody, anyone planning to do diagnostic radiography in September? :smile: I haven't firmed it yet but am planning to!

Original post by LeJoshing
I think Diagnostic Radiography is back on the menu for me! Looking at all my options, still can't decide what to pick though. Got Diagnostic Radiography (UUJ), Zoology (Queens), Biomedical (UUC) and Biological Science (Queens). Anyone else have a plethora of choices like me and unsure? lol.. I like choice, hate decisions! haha, glad we get until 5th June, want to to get firm and insurance well in before that though.

Won't be going for 2012 entry though, 2013 as I'll be on a gap year.

I have almost exactly the same choices as you, freaky haha. I've also picked Marine Biology at UUC. I'm not quite sure what to choose but I'm pretty sure Radiography will be my first choice (I like the fact that I'll almost certainly be able to get a job after)... I'm so indecisive! :tongue:

For the HPAT all I did was do the example paper on the website, that's it really. Just make sure you're confident in structuring an essay or two and try to check your answers in the multiple choice part if you have time (I realised I'd made loads of mistakes). Honestly I barely prepared at all and ended up shocking myself getting into the 98th percentile by some miracle, haha. You'll be grand, hope it goes well for you! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nobacherie

I have almost exactly the same choices as you, freaky haha. I've also picked Marine Biology at UUC. I'm not quite sure what to choose but I'm pretty sure Radiography will be my first choice (I like the fact that I'll almost certainly be able to get a job after)... I'm so indecisive! :tongue:

Haha, just realised it has been four weeks since I posted that. I STILL haven't firmed any offers lol. I'm hoping to firm something by the end of this week. I think I'd like to do Zoology, but my job prospects at the end would be poor. Only could get a job if I went on to do a masters, which I want to do, but I would need a job to pay for it lol, catch-22. Radiography is interesting from the physiology/physics side of things plus going on to do a masters in Vascular Ultrasound would be pretty cool, just unsure as to how long it would interest me for, like could I do it for the next 40+ years? Biomedical seems to be like an intermediate between my interests in radiography and zoology, as I'll still be diagnosing people and looking at biochemistry, genetics, physiology etc.

Need a balance between job prospects and interest... decisions!!

Good luck with your choices! :biggrin:
Reply 156
Original post by DK_Tipp
Define MATURE? You'll be fine I'm sure...

Lol 33
Has anyone had a problem with selecting the University of Ulster when specifying what University they will be attending, when making their bursary application via the Bursary Online Support System (BOSS)? Its not an option :frown:
Reply 158
Does anyone have any idea if UU let you slip a grade or is that not possible because of the small amount of places/large number of applicants? :smile:
^ I was wondering this too lately... I already had the grades but my last bio exam was horrible and I'm worried that it'll drag my grade down :frown:. What are you hoping to study? :smile:
I know that Queen's sometimes allows a grade below the requirements (depending on the popularity of the course). I guess it just depends on the particular course. I'm hoping they might take the HPAT results into account but it seems that they may have just been for making the initial offers.

Does anybody know someone from last year who got in when they were below the requirements? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest