The Student Room Group

I don't want to live in my student house next year

Hi guys,

I have signed all the contracts and stuff on my house for next year, sharing with a group of 5 friends, however they seem to be much more enthusiastic about it than me and I am worried that the house is going to be a bit grimy, bearing in mind we are paying average rent for houses in the area.

What should I do, should I tell them that I don't want to live there next year and try and find somebody to fill the space in the house? Or am I obliged to live there and should just go along with it nonetheless, even though I am extremely anxious and have had many sleepless nights about the whole thing

Cheers,
Where do you intend to live instead...?
So...you want to pull out of a housing group with your friends because you think it might be "a bit grimy"?! Do you realise ALL student houses are dingy, a bit damp and originally built for about half the number of people they're advertising them for. You won't find anywhere better at this time!
Reply 3
Yes we did look at the house, to be fair it is a good deal for the money we are paying and I have negotiated with the landlord to change things such as the front door that I am unhappy with. I just feel that we rushed into a decision being naive freshers and having looked round the house only once made a rash decision. In posting this thread I was just trying to get an idea of other people's opinions on the matter without being swayed by friends.
Reply 4
Original post by newquaysurfer
In posting this thread I was just trying to get an idea of other people's opinions on the matter without being swayed by friends.

It will be great

Living in a grimy student house is part of the uni experience
The most important thing is who you live with, not what the house is like. Good housemates will make a good house.
Original post by BillyBongos
I've lived in a dorm for a year with 25people, then another one for a year, I've lived in private residences with 10people, 4people, landlord male only accomodation etc. I think its cool. If you're male, do not live with women, they are an utter nightmare! some are darn cool though, there are psycho cases in any sex.

A male living in male only digs, is v.cool, and vice versa. I got kicked out of one female landlady residence, in sept, after booking it in feb. I lasted 1.5weeks! I moved next door for a few years with a guy landlord which is uber cool.

You should be happy that they are enthuastic! How would you feel if you signed the contract, and they turned out to be horrible. Also - you are worried about grime? - buy some thick kitchen gloves! I hate washing up/cleaning, but give me some gloves, and I'm happy like a pig in s**t!

You SIGNED the contract - either get someone else or live with your decision. There should be a legal 7/14day cooling off period that applies - get in quick and find out! and more importantly see a solicitor/internet, and write them a letter saying you want to back out.

LEGALLY
With any contract or sale which is concluded away from the trader’s normal business premise, you must be sure you have been presented with clear written notice of your right to cancel, at or before the time the contract is made. If you have not, the contract is legally unenforceable.

This notice, which cannot be in the form of small print, or otherwise disguised, must also provide a cancellation form and advise you on how and to whom a notice of cancellation is to be made. You can use the cancellation form provided or a simple written notice, as long as it is clear of your intentions. And as long as you have posted your notice of cancellation before the end of the cancellation period, it doesn’t matter when it is actually received. For this reason, it is always advisable to send it recorded delivery.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/cooling-off-and-cancellations/

why?
Reply 7
its a student house its going to be crap as long as its liveable and you have landlord who isnt a total douche and that is unipol accredited I wouldnt worry too much, Once you move your things in and make it your own it will feel alot more homey and comfortable
this won't help much, but I'm in exactly the same position as you. we rushed into signing our lease and stuff and although I didn't particularly like the house then, I'd only known my housemates for a few months so didn't really want to be annoying. Also, over time I've found that they're not very clean in the kitchen, making me really scared to live there. I'm worried I'm gonna get annoyed with the mess and the lack of space in the house after a few week/months and want to move out, although I'm not sure how/if this would work :/

Quick Reply

Latest