The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin summer 2012

how many of you have this. I have language 1, 2 and for prose my class studied a yellow textbook consisting of pliny, livy and suetonius (talking about ghosts, caesar and romulus respectively); for verse we did the aeneid book 2.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey guys! Did this last year (Germanicus and Piso, some other stuff, and the Aeneid 2 for set texts)!

Good luck to y'all. :biggrin:
Reply 2
I'm doing Latin and Ancient Greek (OCR) this year
Doing language 1 and 2 and then prose we're doing Tacitus - Germanicus et Piso - and Pythius and Clodia
And then verse I'm doing Aeneid 2 as well :smile:
same as you hines.... greek set text is a bugger.
Reply 4
Iliad? Hard to translate.. haven't got many style points for it either.
Glad that Greek is later in the exam season though
Reply 5
Which one are you all most nervous or unsure about? For me it's certainly the yellow book I studied which I mentioned; basically because it's the first time it will be used this summer so our class have not been able to practice with any past questions.
Reply 6
Papers 1 and 2 should be fine, it's mainly the case (assuming you're pretty good with grammar) of knowing as much vocabulary as possible. I think the word order sort of develops as at the start of the year I really struggled with this but now it's quite intuitive even if you don't recall the correct cases from the endings etc.
Has anyone got the jan 12 Latin papers 1 and 2 and ms?
Would really appreciate if I could get them from someone
Reply 8
Original post by thetejmaster
Has anyone got the jan 12 Latin papers 1 and 2 and ms?
Would really appreciate if I could get them from someone

I took them as a second mock because I didn't meet my target grade the first time round but I don't have a copy of them. I'll email my teacher to ask her to upload them to my school VLE though :smile:.
Reply 9
How is everyone revising for the upcoming language papers? I'm just scared they won't go as well as previous translations because of nerves- it's only my 2nd external exam as I'm in year 10!
Original post by 123xxx
How is everyone revising for the upcoming language papers? I'm just scared they won't go as well as previous translations because of nerves- it's only my 2nd external exam as I'm in year 10!

You'll be fine, as long as you know vocab and tables. The main worry I have is losing too many marks to get an A*- the 90% boundary is quite high, so losing marks through carelessness can easily drop you a grade.
Original post by ZakariaMar
how many of you have this. I have language 1, 2 and for prose my class studied a yellow textbook consisting of pliny, livy and suetonius (talking about ghosts, caesar and romulus respectively); for verse we did the aeneid book 2.

I'm doing exactly the same!
Reply 12
Original post by eebootwo
You'll be fine, as long as you know vocab and tables. The main worry I have is losing too many marks to get an A*- the 90% boundary is quite high, so losing marks through carelessness can easily drop you a grade.

Thank you! I got an A* in the January papers I took a few weeks ago so hopefully and the literature papers can bump up grades too. Yes, I always lose marks though noun endings so I especially need to revise them.

I'm taking the Germanicus and Piso, Phythius and Clodia section of the prose paper.
Reply 13
Original post by hines
I'm doing Latin and Ancient Greek (OCR) this year
Doing language 1 and 2 and then prose we're doing Tacitus - Germanicus et Piso - and Pythius and Clodia
And then verse I'm doing Aeneid 2 as well :smile:

Same.
Reply 14
I use these vocabulary flashcard testers and find them the best way to check my vocab knowledge so you might want to have a look at it: http://vle.sherborne.com/resource.aspx?id=31290

I also came across some other resources on their school's website with readings of set texts and grammar powerpoints here:
http://vle.sherborne.com/classics-1/latin/gcse
Original post by 123xxx
I took them as a second mock because I didn't meet my target grade the first time round but I don't have a copy of them. I'll email my teacher to ask her to upload them to my school VLE though :smile:.

thanks that would be really really useful
what set texts r u doing?
im doing germanicus+piso and aeniead 2
Original post by 123xxx
I use these vocabulary flashcard testers and find them the best way to check my vocab knowledge so you might want to have a look at it: http://vle.sherborne.com/resource.aspx?id=31290

I also came across some other resources on their school's website with readings of set texts and grammar powerpoints here:
http://vle.sherborne.com/classics-1/latin/gcse

it says that you need a username and password to access the shelborne website :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by overlyambitious
it says that you need a username and password to access the shelborne website :frown:

Oh, how strange! It works for me and I don't go to the school or have a username :/
Original post by eebootwo

its 90% ums for an A* ? im in deep ****
also ive got no idea what im meant to do for the literature part XD
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm scottish and sitting gcse latin as a crash course. We only get a one hour long tutorial per week, and we started the course in september and sat the mock in december, and I ended up doing pretty badly and just getting a B. What would be the best way to revise? I'm sitting the first language paper on friday afternoon so I don't have very long to get up to date. I struggle with the grammar the most, because on some weeks we could learn 2 or 3 new types of grammar in one lesson, and it isn't very well explained.

also, what exactly are the set text exams like? We've went through the translations etc for virgil, germanicus and piso and pythius and clodia, but we've not actually been told what to do with it. Is it just a straight translation of the text or is it like a comprehension?

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending