The Student Room Group

G4S 2012 Olympics Job

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Just finished my door supervisor course today for the week - hallelujah! :woo: No more getting up at 5am for now :biggrin:. I'm also starting to feel a bit more optimistic about the future, knowing that I now have possibly (if all goes well) and finally landed a decent temporary job and extra skills that will hopefully open up more doors for me in the future :smile:

Gonna use up the rest of my 7-day travelcard by wandering round London for the next 3 days :biggrin:

Do you not have any exams this summer? How old are you if you dont mind me asking
Original post by H.Maleki
Do you not have any exams this summer? How old are you if you dont mind me asking

You mean apart from G4S course exams? No, I don't study at the moment. I am 20 (says on my profile).
Reply 602
Original post by Mickimus
0700 or 1900 average start time

I've got no chance unless I work nights, might have to get in tough with them about that.
I applied for this role as I thought it looked a fantastic opportunity to gain some good skills at one of the largest events that Britain has ever held!

Leaving University to go to the interview I forgot my passport & driving licence but I still went to West Ham's stadium with a Birth Certificate in hope of getting in but anyhow the lady said they can't accept it and put my name down as attending regardless.

Well, I got a phone call saying I haven't attended and that will contact you with more interview dates but I never heard anything despite regularly checking the website for any information.

In the end I've decided that it probably wasn't the job that I wanted and other opportunities have arisen that are more in sync with the nature of my University course.
Reply 604
Original post by DenmansDinner
I applied for this role as I thought it looked a fantastic opportunity to gain some good skills at one of the largest events that Britain has ever held!

Leaving University to go to the interview I forgot my passport & driving licence but I still went to West Ham's stadium with a Birth Certificate in hope of getting in but anyhow the lady said they can't accept it and put my name down as attending regardless.

Well, I got a phone call saying I haven't attended and that will contact you with more interview dates but I never heard anything despite regularly checking the website for any information.

In the end I've decided that it probably wasn't the job that I wanted and other opportunities have arisen that are more in sync with the nature of my University course.

Sad to hear that, I had forgotten something too and had to rearrange my interview and noticed nothing was happening whilst I waited a couple of weeks, so I dug out an email address via the G4S website (was hard to find) and wrote to them.

Next day a lady called me up and put me back into a interview slot. You really have to chase them up, because lets be honest it's a employers market out there and G4S can replace people in a matter of seconds.
Reply 605
hey guys, i got an email regarding guard training (Guard Team Member [ Patrol,Perimiter & Asset Protection-BOH]). and its seemingly only a one day training course as i have only one day scheduled in at the "Training Centre Pitchford Street Stratford E15 4RZ". its a bit confusing as the email mentions another type of training (door supervisor at ESST offices, Romford Rd) which i havent received dates for.

so i was wondering if anyone else here has got/done guard team member training and if so, if they received training for door supervisor at the same time. also would like to know if there is anything important to know for the guard team training and what the dress code should be. thanks guys.
Reply 606
Original post by H.Maleki
With briding the gap, do you reckon we can do night shifts? Id love to work from like 9pm to 9am or 8-8 etc...

Each site has different hours, you need to find which Venue you are working at and speak with scheduling, I believe BTG can do nights but I cant remember from my paperwork and will need to check when Im in the office tomorrow.
I have got guard training on the 6th June. I was meant to be doing Rapiscan training, PSA training but they changed my role so i am only doing guard training now. Only annoying thing is the emails still have the other training in them as compulsory even though i have been told not to attend these training dates. G4S really are starting to get a bit annoying with all the messing around with this kind of stuff but i guess it will be worth just putting up with it in at the end of it all.
Reply 608
Original post by southcombe
I have got guard training on the 6th June. I was meant to be doing Rapiscan training, PSA training but they changed my role so i am only doing guard training now. Only annoying thing is the emails still have the other training in them as compulsory even though i have been told not to attend these training dates. G4S really are starting to get a bit annoying with all the messing around with this kind of stuff but i guess it will be worth just putting up with it in at the end of it all.

The SIA Door Supervisor training is an absolute must. All roles being taken on are Licensable under the SIA rules. So no matter whether its Search, X-Ray, Patrol you have to at some stage do that course.
Reply 609
The SIA Door Supervisor training is an absolute must. All roles being taken on are Licensable under the SIA rules. So no matter whether its Search, X-Ray, Patrol you have to at some stage do that course.

ive been booked for patrol training. but havent been booked for SIA Door training (yet). is this normal? or should all types of training been booked for me at the same time(email)?
Reply 610
Is it strange from an g4s Representative to call you up and verify your details because of Data protection, i had someone call me today from g4s asking me to verify my details about contact number, email, latest training sessions, is this normal?
Reply 611
Original post by ziigmund1
ive been booked for patrol training. but havent been booked for SIA Door training (yet). is this normal? or should all types of training been booked for me at the same time(email)?

This Olympic mallarky is a total different ball game to the normal events department, they bought is special people to make it worse im afraid. There is no normal with G4S.

Make sure you keep checking up on the SIA training because if you turn up without your LDN number proving you have done the training you will be asked to leave site and wont get paid.

LDN is a temporary number you can use whilst your SIA license is being processed
Reply 612
Original post by niyaz93
Is it strange from an g4s Representative to call you up and verify your details because of Data protection, i had someone call me today from g4s asking me to verify my details about contact number, email, latest training sessions, is this normal?

Chances are it was someone from either screening or HR in prep for screening. They do like to do things back to front, upside down and a little sideways too sometimes
Has anyone here passed LOCOG yet?
Reply 614
Chances are it was someone from either screening or HR in prep for screening. They do like to do things back to front, upside down and a little sideways too sometimes

yueah tell me about it, got my next training booked, i wish they could just speed up the process..
Original post by ziigmund1

im in the same situation...
Reply 616
Original post by UKnowWhoYouAre
im in the same situation...

hey cool. thats a relief that im not the only one in this situation then. btw, ive called the g4s people a few times and each time they dont really seem to know what was happening. but, they did say i would definitely have to do the door training at some stage, and so told me to wait (but imo, it didnt sound convincing and i dont think they really knew what was up).

if anything happens to you in regards to a new situation developing, pls update us on this thread. thanks.
Reply 617
Received a Reply to the email i sent back in March!

"Good morning,

Further to your recent email sent on the 2nd March 2012; I would like to confirm that your file is now with Vetting’s Team.

Unfortunately I am not able to give you an update on the vetting process, however you will receive additional communication at the end of the Screening and Vetting process.

Regards"

does that sound promising? :P
Reply 618
Original post by oiMr
Received a Reply to the email i sent back in March!

"Good morning,

Further to your recent email sent on the 2nd March 2012; I would like to confirm that your file is now with Vetting’s Team.

Unfortunately I am not able to give you an update on the vetting process, however you will receive additional communication at the end of the Screening and Vetting process.

Regards"

does that sound promising? :P

loool, so 2 months and 3 weeks, they then reply and your off for vetting. Which btw is around another 90 days
Reply 619
I just found a phone number for btg/g4s from one of btg's emails. Gonna give them a call tomorrow, their process / communication with future workers is a joke

Quick Reply

Latest