The Student Room Group

WJEC SN2 Spanish 14/05/12 AS

Did anyone do this exam?

What did you think of it???

Gapped exercise solid (as per)
Reply 1
Didn't like the listening, thought there were some mean trick questions in that. Gap fill/translations were difficult as usual but I don't think I did too horribly (I hope?). Disappointed at my essay, didn't plan it and wasted a lot of time just sitting there wondering what to say next. But overall I think I did okay...
Reply 2
I thought the listening was alright to be fair but yeah I totally agree. Pisses me off when they put incorrect spanish like según a and all that incorrect ****.

Gap fill was horrid ! I must have too spent half an hour counting my word count aha, I was at 295 at one point :frown:

Which essay did you do? I did the turismo sol, playa, beber one
Reply 3
I did the one about la red, facebook, twitter etc, but I wish I did the one you did (or the one about diet). I guess I wrote about 200 words and I got some nice structures in, I just don't think I made enough points.

On the listening I was annoyed with one of the later questions, something like "The European Union wants a reduction in the amount of people leaving school early, true or false?", and on the tape it said something along the lines of "The Minister for Education says that it's important to have a reduction in people leaving school early because qualifications are important in the EU". At first I put true, but then I thought it was a trick question and put false... now I wish I put true. You get so used to them trying to trick you, even the most simple question seems like it could be a trap. Oh well. The gap fill was so cruel too. Entrar/enterar and consumir/consumar on the same list is just mean.

Yeah my teacher gets really annoyed at stuff like "según a", he says other exam boards don't do stuff like that because, well, it's not correct language.
Reply 4
Ahh yeah I put true for that. You'll be okay!

I thought the grammar exercises were quite harder this year

Like the 'la mayor parte de' 'El muchos' that last one before the translations, and the POR/Para one was hard for me! I know it's only a few marks but still!!

I think you'll be fine normally the oral helps boost up marks apparantly (don't think we can talk about it yet idk???)
Reply 5
Oh yeah I forgot about that one. I guessed La mayor parte de... though I'm not if sure I've seen it used anywhere before. The de/por/para thing got me too. And yeah it's only a few marks, plus the grade boundaries are usually really low since the exam is so damn hard! Wasn't sure about some of the translations either... especially the one about the models. Having to regularly "pasar" health control or something, I kinda knew what it meant but couldn't think of a good translation. At least those are worth 2-3 marks each so you don't lose a big bunch of marks for a slightly incorrect translation. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by CGB
I did the one about la red, facebook, twitter etc, but I wish I did the one you did (or the one about diet). I guess I wrote about 200 words and I got some nice structures in, I just don't think I made enough points.

On the listening I was annoyed with one of the later questions, something like "The European Union wants a reduction in the amount of people leaving school early, true or false?", and on the tape it said something along the lines of "The Minister for Education says that it's important to have a reduction in people leaving school early because qualifications are important in the EU". At first I put true, but then I thought it was a trick question and put false... now I wish I put true. You get so used to them trying to trick you, even the most simple question seems like it could be a trap. Oh well. The gap fill was so cruel too. Entrar/enterar and consumir/consumar on the same list is just mean.

Yeah my teacher gets really annoyed at stuff like "según a", he says other exam boards don't do stuff like that because, well, it's not correct language.

I put false for that one, I'm worried I was trying to be too clever though and try and catch it catching me out. Thought overall it wasn't too bad though, the gap fill was very difficult as mentioned, thought the translations were really easy though.
Ugh I hated this exam, usually I find the gap fill the easiest part but struggled with that a bit yesterday and I've been kicking myself for writing the wrong essay, I did the tourism one but wish I'd done the one on AIDS being a more serious problem than drugs etc. Usually I find it really easy to focus during exams but for some reason I was so distracted for this one.

I do think the word limit on the essays is a bit crazy, I spent way too much time counting words which disrupts the flow of writing and it's almost impossible to write a well structured argument and counter argument essay in spanish in such a short word count.

Got to now try to put this out of my mind to focus on the rest so worrying about it does not drive me nuts til august. Need a B at an absolute minimum.
Reply 8
Third attempt at this exam now and it was a bit of a mixed bag for me! I thought the translation was the easiest of the three exams but have to agree about the gap fill - HORRID! Other than that, I was pleased! Never quite sure about the essays to be fair so I will just have to wait and see! Got 1 mark off the A in the January exam so even if I haven't improved I am pleased with my AS result!
An ok exam with an absolute BITCH of a gap fill exercise. Would be grateful if people could share their answers

BTW. How paramount is the word limit in the essay? I think I may have gone over
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by boomersooner
Ugh I hated this exam, usually I find the gap fill the easiest part but struggled with that a bit yesterday and I've been kicking myself for writing the wrong essay, I did the tourism one but wish I'd done the one on AIDS being a more serious problem than drugs etc. Usually I find it really easy to focus during exams but for some reason I was so distracted for this one.

I do think the word limit on the essays is a bit crazy, I spent way too much time counting words which disrupts the flow of writing and it's almost impossible to write a well structured argument and counter argument essay in spanish in such a short word count.

Got to now try to put this out of my mind to focus on the rest so worrying about it does not drive me nuts til august. Need a B at an absolute minimum.

Was just wondering, what do you reckon your word count was in your essay, because I am aware that they stop marking after a certain amount of words, which I think I may have done to an extent. Btw, it would be great to share answers (if you can remember any :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheGenuineLad
Was just wondering, what do you reckon your word count was in your essay, because I am aware that they stop marking after a certain amount of words, which I think I may have done to an extent. Btw, it would be great to share answers (if you can remember any :smile:

I think it was about 260ish if I recall correctly. My tutor said they allow about 10% over the 250 max but I got so into writing the essay that I had to cut out a huge chunk to get it down to near the word count so I don't feel it was very good.

As for answers, I've been trying to block it out so I don't obsess about it until august, and I've been focused on biology revision. About all I recall is that the first space on the gap fill was Madrileña and that the first listening task and the translations were alright.
Reply 12
I'm Spanish, If I can help, just tell me :smile:
Original post by boomersooner
I think it was about 260ish if I recall correctly. My tutor said they allow about 10% over the 250 max but I got so into writing the essay that I had to cut out a huge chunk to get it down to near the word count so I don't feel it was very good.

As for answers, I've been trying to block it out so I don't obsess about it until august, and I've been focused on biology revision. About all I recall is that the first space on the gap fill was Madrileña and that the first listening task and the translations were alright.

I agree with you. I just hope that they aren't too strict with the work count, because I've used most of my range (subj, past, and future) in the conclusion :smile:
Original post by Jrgndk
I'm Spanish, If I can help, just tell me :smile:

well there was one grammar exercise which I can remember which gave three options: de, por, or para with a date after it (something like 17th of April)

which one would you use?
Original post by TheGenuineLad
well there was one grammar exercise which I can remember which gave three options: de, por, or para with a date after it (something like 17th of April)

which one would you use?

any help??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending