The Student Room Group

FSMQ Additional Mathematics - 30th May 2012

Hi! :biggrin:

Well, basically I have done all the past papers available and I was wondering if there were any other websites with tests on it, which I could do to practice further. I know I could just use the text book, but there isn't a section with mixed questions :P

And its the 30th of May btw not June, sorry :P and the exam board is OCR
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skyandstars

Well, basically I have done all the past papers available and I was wondering if there were any other websites with tests on it, which I could do to practice further. I know I could just use the text book, but there isn't a section with mixed questions :P

I'm revising by reading and answering questions in the revision guide by Michael Ling. When I've done that I'll do all the past papers.
Don't even know why I'm bothering though, I still fail at additional maths. I hate that my school pressured me into it even though I don't even want to do maths A Level! Oh well, I suppose I'll just do as well as possible and then if I fail I won't bother putting it on my CV.
Reply 2
mymaths is great for specific topics. Though I am also struggling on finding what more to do.
Reply 3

Have a look at a level past papers c1 and c2 for edexcel. About 3/4 of the paper is fsmq stuff (some is actually easier lol). Just make sure you don't do the questions that aren't in the fsmq :smile: good luck
Reply 4
yeah cramming at the moment, aiming for B but actually want an A to look good :P. How low are the boundaries? - some of the questions I am going to miss out on
Reply 5
I wouldn't worry too much, my friend got a C and has an Oxford offer to read maths :smile: But on the other hand, the grade boundaries are lower than you think. I didn't finish the paper and got an A. Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by ocelot92
yeah cramming at the moment, aiming for B but actually want an A to look good :P. How low are the boundaries? - some of the questions I am going to miss out on

Well, i have looked at the grade boundaries and they are roughly 70% to get an A and about 60 to get a B and and so on....tbh, you can actually skip a few questions and still get an A if ur confident in all the other questions u are doing but i am goign to try and not avoid any :smile: Do u have physics aqa as well tomorrow?
Reply 7
Original post by E13
I wouldn't worry too much, my friend got a C and has an Oxford offer to read maths :smile: But on the other hand, the grade boundaries are lower than you think. I didn't finish the paper and got an A. Good luck!

Thanks :smile:) and yeah, the grade boundaries are quite low :smile: and good luck with any other exams you may have
Reply 8
Original post by IsabelAmy
Have a look at a level past papers c1 and c2 for edexcel. About 3/4 of the paper is fsmq stuff (some is actually easier lol). Just make sure you don't do the questions that aren't in the fsmq :smile: good luck

Thank you so much, they are actually quite helpful :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by AnyRandomName
I'm revising by reading and answering questions in the revision guide by Michael Ling. When I've done that I'll do all the past papers.
Don't even know why I'm bothering though, I still fail at additional maths. I hate that my school pressured me into it even though I don't even want to do maths A Level! Oh well, I suppose I'll just do as well as possible and then if I fail I won't bother putting it on my CV.

Yeah, i quite like maths but i don't understand why they pressure people who don't actaully want to do maths into doing it! and i am sure ur don't fail!!!! and yeah FSMQ is not a major thing anyway, its just a small addition and we won't be getting uni places just because we have done this so yeah :smile: good luck! xx
Reply 10
Original post by L1000
mymaths is great for specific topics. Though I am also struggling on finding what more to do.

Yeah, i am trying these Edexcel papers and they actually are quite helpful so you could have a go if u still want to practise :smile:
Reply 11
what are your predicted grades in this/mock results so far?! Mine's a B but this is hardddd.
Reply 12
anyone know the sort of grade boundaries for an A a B or a C? ive been getting around 70% on average and i have no idea if thats good or bad
Reply 13
Well the grade boudaries generally are about 70/100 for an A and i am guessing about 60 for a b and so on but i am not sure but i definitely know A would be more or less 70/100 depending on how hard the paper is :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by lucilleJR
what are your predicted grades in this/mock results so far?! Mine's a B but this is hardddd.

hey! i am getting roughly about 70 (A, i think) but yeah this is hard stuff and we havent had mocks in our school but i have just done all the past papers available on the OCR website...so are u ready for tomorrow then?
Reply 15
Original post by JSterney
anyone know the sort of grade boundaries for an A a B or a C? ive been getting around 70% on average and i have no idea if thats good or bad

70% is about an A, and A is the highest grade so i would say it is quite good, yes, although it does vary depending on the difficulty of the paper. The tests for 2010 and 2011 have very low grade boundaries for A though - around the low 60s, but they were hard test papers though. :smile:
Reply 16
hey! i am getting roughly about 70 (A, i think) but yeah this is hard stuff and we havent had mocks in our school but i have just done all the past papers available on the OCR website...so are u ready for tomorrow then?

I've been getting around 70 too haha! I'm quite worried though because some of the past exams have been really horrible and then some are OK.The exam from last year looked quite easy too + I think the grade boundaries were low-ish so this year they might go up again:/ I really want an A in this and I'm usually borderline between an A and a B so fingers crossed. Good luck to you all!

- Yeah for the last two years the grade boundaries have been 61 + 62 out of 100 for an A, so apparently they're going up this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
oh well, then hopefully the paper is easier but yeah.......good luck to u all!
Hey, good luck to everyone taking FSMQ tomorrow, I've been doing some revision tonight and came across a REALLY hard question in one of the specimen papers. It's unlikely that anything like this would actually come up, but if you're feeling brave give it a go:

Question 7, Specimen 2002:
http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadFile.asp?GroupId=779269&ResourceId=2358047

Just message me if anyone wants my solution.
Reply 19
How did people feel it went? There was no linear programming so i reckon the grade boundries will be low...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending