The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can some1 help me out please.
My Laptop screen keeps going pure white at random intervals.
It's a new laptop i think its only 3 months old and i've accidently stepped on it :/
Does any1 know how i can fix this problem?

There is only something wrong with the screen because i connected an HDMI port to my laptop from the TV and i was able to see what was happening (Like check my emails). I did this while the laptop screen was pure white :s-smilie:
Original post by beepbeeprichie
ATI? Never!

Clearly you should stay off this thread........
ATI have the best pound for pound performance card which is the 6850
Original post by bahjat93
Can some1 help me out please.
My Laptop screen keeps going pure white at random intervals.
It's a new laptop i think its only 3 months old and i've accidently stepped on it :/
Does any1 know how i can fix this problem?

There is only something wrong with the screen because i connected an HDMI port to my laptop from the TV and i was able to see what was happening (Like check my emails). I did this while the laptop screen was pure white :s-smilie:

Well in all honesty, the best thing you can do is get the screen replaced, especially if it's going pure white at random intervals............or there could be a loose connection
Original post by Iqbal007
Well in all honesty, the best thing you can do is get the screen replaced, especially if it's going pure white at random intervals............or there could be a loose connection

I don't really know how to get the screen replaced and i dont really want to pay the people at PC world £100 to replace the screen
I don't really know how to get the screen replaced and i dont really want to pay the people at PC world £100 to replace the screen

Didn't your laptop come with a 1 year warranty?
Didn't your laptop come with a 1 year warranty?

My uncle bought it as a gift from the USA when he was visiting so i don't really know :s-smilie:
My uncle bought it as a gift from the USA when he was visiting so i don't really know :s-smilie:

Suggest you ask him, it's also possible to get it fixed in the UK maybe.
Clearly you should stay off this thread........
ATI have the best pound for pound performance card which is the 6850

It was a joke. Lighten up.
It was a joke. Lighten up.

It's hard to tell on tsr :frown:
It's hard to tell on tsr :frown:

BTW what GPU do you think is required to play Crysis on high specs?
BTW what GPU do you think is required to play Crysis on high specs?

Depends what you mean by that.......with AA, etc and whether you mean ultra settings or high settings?
Depends what you mean by that.......with AA, etc and whether you mean ultra settings or high settings?

AA*4 + High.
AA*4 + High.

a 6870 would pretty much do that, even on a 1080p screen so around 25-30 average frames and you could push it to ultra with slightly less frames, but it also depends on your cpu.
That's why I got one, it was £120 and could handle a lot for the price.
Original post by hassi94
What do you mean by you've invested in a 7970 and spent £350 but you need a <£200 GPU? I don't understand.

Also why do you have 7200 and 10000 rpm drives? They're pretty pointless to get if you're using an SSD. I'd get a 5900RPM 1-2TB Drive and a bigger SSD, you don't need speed on a storage drive.

P.S. Moved here as Tech Society is not for rig building advice. :smile:

I'll be returning the 7970 for a full refund minus stocking costs. Reason being, I think it's a tad overkill for someone on my budget to spend over a third of it on the GPU alone.

The hardrives are from older rigs. I've torn them both down and sold them for parts, but I've kept the drives, so no extra expenditure there. Might as well stick them in.
Original post by Hippysnake
I'll be returning the 7970 for a full refund minus stocking costs. Reason being, I think it's a tad overkill for someone on my budget to spend over a third of it on the GPU alone.

The hardrives are from older rigs. I've torn them both down and sold them for parts, but I've kept the drives, so no extra expenditure there. Might as well stick them in.

Sapphire 7850 is a good choice :smile:
Reply 7075
Hey everyone. :smile: I'm hopefully going to be going into Web and Multimedia this academic year at UClan, and I am going to be buying myself a new laptop. I'd like some advice on what I should be looking to purchase; here are my requirements:

Must be able to easily run programs:

Adobe Photoshop CS5/6
Adobe Flash
Adobe Dreamweaver
Adobe Media Encoder

Combined with a graphics tablet.

Also it'd be nice if it could run:

Minecraft on normal render distance

My maximum budget is £800. (Less would be great!)
I'd like a decent screen size and a full keyboard. I'm really not one for the dinky netbooks.
I don't want an Alienware laptop because they're expensive and they look very chunky, heavy and may attract theives.

Basically, its going to be doing a lot all at once. If you post, please explain the technical language and why the spec of the laptop is good for my requirements - I may be able to code a webpage but when it comes to the hardware I'm at a total loss! <3

Thankyou very much for your help. :smile:
Original post by Hippysnake

I'm spending about a third of my budget on the GPU, it is the most important component in a gaming PC :smile: Though I've gone for a 670 not a 7970 (it's faster and cheaper and has support for Nvidia-specific things like PhysX).

But anyway, I'd say a 7850.
Original post by Fizzeh
Hey everyone. :smile: I'm hopefully going to be going into Web and Multimedia this academic year at UClan, and I am going to be buying myself a new laptop. I'd like some advice on what I should be looking to purchase; here are my requirements:

Adobe Photoshop CS5/6
Adobe Flash
Adobe Dreamweaver
Adobe Media Encoder

I'd like a decent screen size and a full keyboard. I'm really not one for the dinky netbooks.
I don't want an Alienware laptop because they're expensive and they look very chunky, heavy and may attract theives.

Basically, its going to be doing a lot all at once. If you post, please explain the technical language and why the spec of the laptop is good for my requirements - I may be able to code a webpage but when it comes to the hardware I'm at a total loss! <3

Well in your laptop:
Processor: you'll be looking at an i7 due it's hyper threading which makes editing much quicker
Ram: You'll need around 8gb to meet your editing demands when your seriously at it
Graphics: You'll probably need a pretty good one to meet your graphical demands on your screen.....so no integrated ones like Intel HD 3000, etc.
SSD: Solid state drives are much faster than a normal hard drive could be beneficial but that the problem is that it would push it out of budget.

http://www.ebuyer.com/290627-lenovo-ideapad-z570-laptop-m556cuk
Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 Laptop
- Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz
- 8GB RAM + 750GB HDD
- 15.6" LED + Blu-Ray Reader
- Webcam + BT + NVIDIA GT540M
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64
£718.98 So you got £80 for the graphical tablet.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/nspire2760-blackedition.html
Novatech nSpire 2760 - Black Edition - 15.6" Intel i7 2760 Mobile Processor - 8GB DDR3 Memory - 500GB Hybrid SSD Hard Drive - DVD Writer - NVIDIA GT 555M Graphics
£680 without an OS
Reply 7078
Original post by Fizzeh

Adobe Photoshop CS5/6
Adobe Flash
Adobe Dreamweaver
Adobe Media Encoder

Depends 100% on your graphics tablet requirements! What are you going to be doing on it? If you are looking at Intuos4, pretty much the minimum for digital art the cost is £250+... A Bamboo will be much cheaper but its not really suited for drawing etc
Reply 7079
Iqbal007, thankyou very much for your reply and suggestions. I am typing from a Lenovo now; they are very reliable laptops indeed! I've bookmarked both of the laptops that you suggested and even if they aren't available by the time I get my student finance, I will look for similar specs. Your advice was excellent!

Hanvyj, thankfully I already have a graphics tablet; I was more talking about the laptop being able to run my tablet and the above programs simultaneously. :smile: Thankyou for your reply, however!

Latest