The Student Room Group

Best Ex-poly University?

Which ex polytechnic do you think is the best and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oxford Brookes and Nottingham Trent tend to be regarded as the best of the former polys, and especially in some fields are higher regarded than some more established Universities. Some of the others are pretty good too.
The top ex-polys at the mo are probably Oxford Brookes, Lincoln, Northumbria and Nottingham Trent.
*Oxford Brooks
*Northumbria
*Nottingham Trent

Trent's postgraduate law school is a particular strength as it's regarded as one of the best places in the country to study the GDL/LPC/BPTC as well as law MSc's. It's one of only 9 universities accredited by the bar to run the BVC.
UWE is also generally seen as one of the better ex-polys, alongside others such as Oxford Brookes.
I'd say Nottingham Trent from what I've heard about it, but it really depends on what you wish to study. There are strengths and weaknesses in all universities, if you can find one that suits your needs you're well on your way.
As a Nottingham Trent student, I feel biased in giving an answer :wink:
Reply 7
depends for what....
Coventry for engineering, automotive design, disaster management
Nottingham trent is meant to be good too
Reply 8
I got really good vibes at Brunel when I visited, not sure if it´s an ex poly though.
Original post by MrHappy_J
I got really good vibes at Brunel when I visited, not sure if it´s an ex poly though.

Next you'll be telling OP to use the force to decide.
Original post by MrHappy_J

It's not technically an ex-poly although it is a former technical college which was kind of the same thing.
Original post by ultimate mashup
It's not technically an ex-poly although it is a former technical college which was kind of the same thing.

This is very misleading.

Brunel was hived off a technical college to create (along with what later became City, Bath, Aston and Loughborough amongst others) a College of Advanced Technology. At the same time in the mid 60s that the Polys were created, all of the Colleges of Advanced Technology were converted (along with the foundation of some green field site institutions) into the Robbins or Plate Glass Unversities. Brunel's peers are therefore Bath, Loughborough. Keele, Lancaster, Salford and York. No-one during the 60s-80s would have regarded Brunel as being the same thing as a Poly, primarily because Brunel awarded its own degrees whilst Polys awarded CNAA degrees.
Reply 12
Brighton isn't too bad, especially for certain courses such as education, arts and architecture.

But I think Oxford Brookes may be better overall as a university.
Reply 13
Certainly Oxford Brookes is making a great name for itself as a good, solid university.

As for UWE as stated above, they do have some very good departments. (I suppose as with all universities, some particularly poor ones too).

You'll find a substantial number of biomedical scientists in the south west have graduated from UWE (The only example I can give). In the South West UWE is increasingly seen as a decent university, more so than Plymouth.

I went to Kent so I can't comment further than that!
According to the new Guardian League table:

Robert Gordon (35)
Coventry (46)
Lincoln (47)
Huddersfield (48)
Oxford Brookes (49)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Oh I went to Coventry for Biomed by the way and I think it's a very good university.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by laura130490

Brunel (44)
Coventry (46)
Lincoln (47)
Huddersfield (48)
Oxford Brookes (49)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Oh I went to Coventry for Biomed by the way and I think it's a very good university.

For the reasons stated above Brunel does not belong in this list. However Robert Gordon (35) does. Strictly speaking there were no Polytechnics in Scotland. The equivalent was a Central Institution (even though two Central Institutions were called Glasgow Polytechnic and Napier Polytechnic!). Like Polys their degrees were conferred by the CNAA and they became universities in 1992
Original post by nulli tertius
For the reasons stated above Brunel does not belong in this list. However Robert Gordon (35) does. Strictly speaking there were no Polytechnics in Scotland. The equivalent was a Central Institution (even though two Central Institutions were called Glasgow Polytechnic and Napier Polytechnic!). Like Polys their degrees were conferred by the CNAA and they became universities in 1992

Okies, I'll edit my post.
Aston's meant to be good - I always forget it's an ex poly!
If we're going by reputation, it's probably Surrey...
Original post by laura130490

Robert Gordon (35)
Coventry (46)
Lincoln (47)
Huddersfield (48)
Oxford Brookes (49)

You've missed out #20 Heriot-Watt and #34 Strathclyde

Quick Reply