The Student Room Group

Is the extended project qualification worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chocolate_Pecan_Fudge
Whenever you want to with the research reviews. I did my dissertation first and kept notes on the problems that I faced and the chages I made etc... with brief notes in my logbook. I then properly filled in my logbook at the end- it is fairly easy to make up: if you can't think of any problems that you encountered then make one up like changing the title, or refocussing your essay to a different perspective. You can also comment on the progress and content of your essay, including what sources you used and found helpful. Be as verbose as you can!!

So do you do your sources log before your dissertation? Or as you go along?

And then the reading review when it's all finished? Thank you!
Reply 21
Thanks for the replies everyone, I wasnt sure before but now I will definitely do it! And if I get alot done over the summer then it wont be too hard throughout the rest of the year hopefully :smile:
Original post by TheHaylio
So do you do your sources log before your dissertation? Or as you go along?

And then the reading review when it's all finished? Thank you!

It's really up to you when you complete the different bits of the logbook, but I found that it's easiest if you make notes in all the different sections of your logbook, just so you'll be able to remember what happened when, and then write all the reviews properly at the end.. But you can do it however you want. :smile:
Reply 23
I didn't do it and I got into a pretty good university, to be honest if I were you I'd just enjoy your summer to the max, studying is for schooltime
Reply 24
Was going to make a topic on this as my college is offering it to us in our A2 year.. does it make sense to do it in my A2 year, wouldnt it make more sense to do it at AS year???
Reply 25
Original post by Milly Anna
We had a presentation on it today at college, and were told it was good for your personal statement etc, but alot of hard work. I dont want to start it and find it too hard/much work, but equally I dont want to miss what could be a good opportunity. Any thoughts from anyone who has done it, or knows anything about it?

I did it in under a week.
Reply 26
Original post by Skaterkid
Was going to make a topic on this as my college is offering it to us in our A2 year.. does it make sense to do it in my A2 year, wouldnt it make more sense to do it at AS year???

You could involve it in your personal statement showing interest and independent learning. And if you get a high grade in it, it may compensate a missed grade in another subject.
Reply 27
Lmao, who negged me for my post? I was just stating my opinion looool
Do peeps put this on cvs. I got an A in the year it came out but haven't done anything with it since.
Original post by Skaterkid

Even less point if you don't have a grade when you apply.
Reply 30
Original post by . .
You could involve it in your personal statement showing interest and independent learning. And if you get a high grade in it, it may compensate a missed grade in another subject.

wow you really did it in a week? What grade did you get :O :biggrin:
Reply 31
I would do it! I done it over the summer and as much as it was a lot of hard work (over 120 hours on research and at least another 10 writing it but this was purely down to the choice of topic), I really enjoyed it. Only do it on a topic you like or it can get boring really quickly. It's something to put you apart from others who may not have it and it shows that you don't have to get spoon fed information to do well and you can manage coping with private research.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
I heard that the EPQ (not only from my careers adviser, but from others) is a great way to be independent in your research and study which apparently universities love.
I've put myself down for it next year and am looking to study Medicine, so my careers adviser recommended doing something based around Science for this. A guy from my school got an unconditional offer from one of the Oxbridge universities, and he also done the EPQ and said it was great to talk about in his interview
Reply 33
Original post by jada897
wow you really did it in a week? What grade did you get :O :biggrin:

Well I kind of did one and a half. I started off with a topic of interest which had something to do with neuroscience and morality. I did a lot of reading for that (I spend almost half a year reading various journals and articles and books) Then decided I didn't like it so asked my invigilator if I could change it who said no and he thought I did no work for it as I had nothing to prove how much I'd done so I spent a couple of week writing up notes about half an essay [3000 words] on the subject I wasn't really that interested in.

Then I asked my head of year if I could change who said It's my project if I don't enjoy there isn't much point doing it so I changed it. Ended up missing school for a week to complete it. I don't think I slept for that week. :lol: I don't know my grade yet. Should find out in August.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
I would definitely recommend the E.P.Q. If you have a keen interest in a certain area (for me it was law/human rights) you get the chance to do your own independent research and write a dissertation style paper at the end. Uni's love it because it shows early interest and independent research skills which are key to degree level study :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by DomPugh
I would definitely recommend the E.P.Q. If you have a keen interest in a certain area (for me it was law/human rights) you get the chance to do your own independent research and write a dissertation style paper at the end. Uni's love it because it shows early interest and independent research skills which are key to degree level study :smile:

Just out of interest what was your EPQ question? I'm doing my project this year and its also about law and human rights :smile:
Reply 36
Is it better to do the extended project on the subject you want to study at uni?

I want to study history at uni but was going to base my extended project on a different subject but incorporate how things were dealt with in the past as a starting point?

Is that still alright and could I still write on my personal statement i've done the extended project even though it isn't directly related to history?
Reply 37

Original post by Gratia
Just out of interest what was your EPQ question? I'm doing my project this year and its also about law and human rights :smile:

How Have Counter-Terrorism Measures Adopted by Nation States Post - 9/11 Affected Human Rights Across the Globe?

I've really enjoyed it :smile:

What about you?
Reply 38
Original post by DomPugh

How Have Counter-Terrorism Measures Adopted by Nation States Post - 9/11 Affected Human Rights Across the Globe?

I've really enjoyed it :smile:

What about you?

wow!! sounds very interesting. I'm researching into the violations of international humanitarian laws in the sierra leone civil war
Reply 39
Yeah its being great, got my presentation on wednesday! :/ good luck with that, sounds good :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest