The Student Room Group

Tips for starting Uni in September?!?!

Heyyy :smile:

Has anyone got any tips for me! I start Uni in September and I don't know what to expect!

Anything would be useful!

Thank youuuuu! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Amezz
Heyyy :smile:

Has anyone got any tips for me! I start Uni in September and I don't know what to expect!

Anything would be useful!

Thank youuuuu! :biggrin:

-Go to as many freshers events as you can.
-Talk to as many people as you can.
-Join a society or two
Reply 2
Brill! Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Join socities, enjoy your first year, and don't be one of those people who party until they pass out
Reply 4
Get out there - everyone's in the same boat and doesn't know anyone either.
Reply 5
Don't be the girl that gets pissed and takes her top off. Or the girl who KO's on the floor of the SU pub and pisses herself. I have known both to happen.
Original post by Norton1
Don't be the girl that gets pissed and takes her top off. Or the girl who KO's on the floor of the SU pub and pisses herself. I have known both to happen.

i take it that girl was you? :eek:
Reply 7
Original post by MUN123
Join socities, enjoy your first year, and don't be one of those people who party until they pass out

Whats wrong wit partying till you pass out (aside from health)?
Reply 8
Turn up to your lectures and tutorials.

Your be suprised how hard it is to do this.....
Reply 9
turning up to as many lecture as possible is a good idea, and if you can't make sure you're friends with someone who can... oh and take really good notes, so you'll have a base to work with for next year
Reply 10
Don't party until 5am then go to a 9am lecture, rest your elbow on the desk with chin in hand, fall asleep/slip, and end up rolling down the middle flight of stairs in the lecture theatre...

Most importantly, though:
- keep your door open for flatmates to talk to you
- maybe suggest everyone cooks a dinner together (we cooked a roast dinner for 12 people in Fresher's Week!)
- suggest a flat party and invite nearby flats (we did a hat and wigs party - easy to do)
- join a society
- party hard, but also save time for sleep! You don't want to burn out by Wednesday.
- enjoy yourself :smile:
Go to as many freshers events as you can, make an effort to talk to people, join a society/club or two, try not to blow hundreds of pounds on your first week (trust me, I know people that have), try and attend all of your lectures, make good friends with people on your course so if miss a lecture or two you know they have your back...

And have fun!!! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by thelawstudent
i take it that girl was you? :eek:

Sorry to spoil it but I was merely a horrified bystander.
Original post by Norton1
Sorry to spoil it but I was merely a horrified bystander.

:mad:
Reply 14
Original post by Dbrown18
Whats wrong wit partying till you pass out (aside from health)?

You will end up with a crap grade in your first year of university.
Reply 15
Original post by MUN123
You will end up with a crap grade in your first year of university.

How does that work? Surely its the going to the party/club/bar ect, until a certain time thats going to affect your grades in the long run, than how much you drink?
Reply 16
Original post by Dbrown18
How does that work? Surely its the going to the party/club/bar ect, until a certain time thats going to affect your grades in the long run, than how much you drink?

I don't drink and have as a result got 97% overall for my first year results. I think drinking ruins people and can lead them in to failure.
Reply 17
Original post by MUN123
I don't drink and have as a result got 97% overall for my first year results. I think drinking ruins people and can lead them in to failure.

No you didn't.
I did a foundation year and i struggled near my end off year exams.A big tip (if you dont already do this) is to revise what you have been taught in a lecture on the same day to ensure you understand it and if not then have plenty of time to get some help.I didnt do this till the very end of my year but im happy i now know this tip ready for next year!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
As long as you do your work, YOU CAN PARTY A LOT AND STILL PASS!

I did and I'm a medical student :smug: BOOYAH!

I'm not really arrogant, I knew I'd fail if I didnt do my work as well. And I just made sure i did. If I couldnt be assed going to a lecture I didnt because I knew its be on site and I can read up on it later. Enjoy your time at uni, don't work constantly and just because you dont go to every lecture doesn't mean youre going to fail as some people on my course so very strongly believed. Good luck!

The only regret I have OP is that sometimes I was too shy and I didnt talk to some awesome people that I could have been good friends. Uni is the best place imo to meet some really interesting, cool people - dont waste the opportunity.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply