The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
What could be more unrealistic about Doctor Who?-I'm struggling to think,you have to be open minded you know and I just can't explain how he would win so much and hasn't died yet.

The fact that the main character is hundreds of years old, can regenerate and travels in time and space in an old blue Police box which is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside and who spends most of his time on Earth because, in a universe filled with billions of planets, the aliens just can't get enough of Earth. It's seemingly the place to be for alien invasions.

And technically he has died multiple times. You'd think that was more unrealistic than a polymath outwitting a bunch of dumb villains. :K:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7841
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
The fact that the main character is hundreds of years old, can regenerate and travels in time and space in an old blue Police box which is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside and who spends most of his time on Earth because, in a universe filled with billions of planets, the aliens just can't get enough of Earth. It's seemingly the place to be for alien invasions.

Don't forget the fact that they almost always invade England!
What could be more unrealistic about Doctor Who?-I'm struggling to think,you have to be open minded you know and I just can't explain how he would win so much and hasn't died yet.

Yes he has, he has died 10 times. :erm:

You'd think that was more unrealistic than a polymath outwitting a bunch of dumb villains. And technically he has died multiple times.

I really, really didn't want to be the one to reply. :colonhash:

I guess we all missed the alien invasions these past few Christmases.

I recall deGrasse Tyson mentioning that his buddy who was doing his PhD alongside him found that there was a certain pathway you could take past two gravitationally intertwined black holes that would bend spacetime in such a way that you could travel backwards in time. I also recall Michio Kaku advocating the possibility of time travel, and I believe Hawking has recently revised his position against time travel to state that it's possible.

I don't think there are any physicists who say that it's practically possible, however. The conditions with which they state that it's possible are not deemed realistically achievable as of current scientific knowledge.
I've got my bets on there being there's more fancy spacetimey type physics we've yet to figure out that would be pretty monumental regarding this, I'm thinking specifically of the old paradox of going back in time and killing your parents. I just can't conceive of it being at all possible for the universe allowing the situation to arise in the first place. :tongue:

/armchair opinion.

And technically he has died multiple times. You'd think that was more unrealistic than a polymath outwitting a bunch of dumb villains. :K:

Why would being hundreds of years old be unrealistic?-humans can live to over hundred and with variance applied to aliens it seems possible.

Time and Space theories have been developed by scientists and I don't think the 5th dimension is a too unrealistic scientific theory.Why would someone having a particular fondness for a place be unrealistic?,do you have a favourite holiday destination?and him visiting Earth so much,is probably what causes all these alien invasions.He has appeared to die multiples of times-real life creatures do this and by the way I have heard that a creature on Earth is immortal or something so not to unrealistic-I can't remember the creatures name:angry:

Even the amount of alien invasions happening,isn't too unrealistic compared to our Earth because there have been several UFO sightings and the Government tries to cover them up,even if they aren't real alien sightings,it is probable that they aren't aliens just saying.

You don't seem like a proper Sci-Fi/Doctor Who fan if you don't have a open mind,to complicated scientific theories.The thing that makes his victories unrealistic is that he has won millions of times against a wide variety of clever and dumb villains.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Yes he has, he has died 10 times. :erm:

Regeneration doesn't equal dying,he hasn't yet died.
All I'll say on the matter is I know I haven't invented time travel because I promised a friend I'd visit them if I did invent time and space travel, and that didn't happen :sad:
Why would someone having a particular fondness for a place be unrealistic?,do you have a favourite holiday destination?and him visiting Earth so much,is probably what causes all these alien invasions.

Even the amount of alien invasions happening,isn't too unrealistic compared to our Earth because there have been several UFO sightings and the Government tries to cover them up,even if they aren't real alien sightings,it is probable that they aren't aliens just saying.

You don't seem like a proper Sci-Fi/Doctor Who fan if you don't have a open mind,to complicated scientific theories.The thing that makes his victories unrealistic is that he has won millions of times against a wide variety of clever and dumb villains.

I think the real reason for the fondness over Earth is because the BBC can't afford to create a new planet every week and it gives the viewers something to relate to. Btw what complicated scientific theories are in Doctor Who, I think the writers just make all the stuff up.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
All I'll say on the matter is I know I haven't invented time travel because I promised a friend I'd visit them if I did invent time and space travel, and that didn't happen :sad:

This is why I think it should be obligatory that all people have a hand-me-down note that says "if invented time travel, please visit such and such a place at such and such a date." So that countless generations of humanity receive the note until SOMEONE invents time travel. And if that didn't work, I'd happily say time travel into the past isn't feasible. :tongue:
Original post by chancellorroberts
I think the real reason for the fondness over Earth is because the BBC can't afford to create a new planet every week and it gives the viewers something to relate to. Btw what complicated scientific theories are in Doctor Who, I think the writers just make all the stuff up.

It doesn't cost much to create a new planet each week - they just need to find a new random quarry in Wales. :P

Yeah, the theories are sort of a lot of big words with no substance behind them. But who cares? It's a programme about a man travelling through time and space in a police box. Being realistic is probably not the main aim of the show.
I am *SO* excited for this new series. i'm sorry people, but the JCR TV is going to be tuned to Dr Who.

It does according to the man himself as The End of Time double showed.

'It still feels like dying. Everything I am dyes and a new man waltz off in my place and I'm dead' or something like that.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I recall deGrasse Tyson mentioning that his buddy who was doing his PhD alongside him found that there was a certain pathway you could take past two gravitationally intertwined black holes that would bend spacetime in such a way that you could travel backwards in time. I also recall Michio Kaku advocating the possibility of time travel, and I believe Hawking has recently revised his position against time travel to state that it's possible.

I don't think there are any physicists who say that it's practically possible, however. The conditions with which they state that it's possible are not deemed realistically achievable as of current scientific knowledge.
I've got my bets on there being there's more fancy spacetimey type physics we've yet to figure out that would be pretty monumental regarding this, I'm thinking specifically of the old paradox of going back in time and killing your parents. I just can't conceive of it being at all possible for the universe allowing the situation to arise in the first place. :tongue:

/armchair opinion.

I removed that Fry post for two reasons: because it took me 20 minutes to comprehend Dalek's words and, after fully understanding what exactly he was attempting to say in such a badly constructed sentence, I saw you browsing the forum and knew I was in for it. :colonhash:

I'm not sure what more you want... A mass of blood and a doctor declaring his time of death? Because that's also happened.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by montstar
Not sure if people know about this but a new Doctor Who 5-part-mini-series-spin-off-type-thing is being launched tomorrow, called Pond Life. It focuses on Amy and Rory's life since the end of the last series and leads up to the start of the next series. It'll be available on the Dr Who website and the Beeb's YouTube channel. :smile:

More info here: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/22434/updated-new-doctor-who-spin-off-pond-life

Does anyone know the start of the omnibus on 301 because I don't watched to watch middle to middle because I presume they will be showing it over and over again,on 301.Does anyone know when Doctor Who Daughter of Karn is released:confused:
greeneyedgirl
x

I have BBC 1 on the TV! My life is made! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
They won in Series 5,Episode 3though and even though they get defeated I still enjoy watching them and always support them,wishing that they would exterminate the doctor:angry:

Its about time they won a lot more often, what's so wrong with them claiming a planet,as long as its not Earth:confused:If Doctor Who was real the doctor would be dead and the Daleks would have won already because noone ever wins that often,thats what makes Doctor Who quite childish sometimes and aimed at kids.It would make it so much more exciting,you wouldn't know who was going to win.

Put a lawyer to solving legal cases verses a 16 year old, the lawyer would win every time. If one person is much 'better' at something they can always win.
Original post by rmhumphries
Put a lawyer to solving legal cases verses a 16 year old, the lawyer would win every time. If one person is much 'better' at something they can always win.

Its not a very good analogy because lawyers have been fully trained,whilst 16 year olds haven't-the fair analogy is putting the best lawyer up against a random lawyer each time,even though they are the best they wouldn't win anywhere near 100%.
I don't know why anyone bothers... :facepalm2:
Yeah, why don't they just exterminate the Doctor? The rest of the series can be following Amy and Rory around the flat.
They won in Series 5,Episode 3though and even though they get defeated I still enjoy watching them and always support them,wishing that they would exterminate the doctor:angry:

Its about time they won a lot more often, what's so wrong with them claiming a planet,as long as its not Earth:confused:If Doctor Who was real the doctor would be dead and the Daleks would have won already because noone ever wins that often,thats what makes Doctor Who quite childish sometimes and aimed at kids.It would make it so much more exciting,you wouldn't know who was going to win.

Well, you'd still know who'd win. Killing off your main hero doesn't really work for continuing the show.

Besides - the daleks have lost so much because, prior to the re-launch (when they somehow gained the ability to fly :unimpressed:) they were kinda crap. C'mon, you could beat them with staircase.

Latest