The Student Room Group

PSYA3- Aggression

just a bit confused in my revision and my teacher doesnt help...

basically the evolutionary approach, i understand it invovles infidelity and jealousy, the evolution of homicide but then im confused on group displays as an adaptive behaviour.

on the aqa website it says that lynch mobs has been replaced with warfare, so does that mean the same thing i studied for institutional aggression? like between groups with genocide etc?

help me please :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Evolutionary displays of group aggression refers to reasons why groups go against outsider groups;

You can use lynch mobs as its what I used for psya3 in january but you have to describe lynch mob behaviour from an evolutionary perspective.

Genocide is a form of institutional aggression and is not part of evolutionary explanations of group displays of aggression.

For lynch mobs in brief I wrote about;

How lynch mobs killed thousands of black people in the late 19th century, linked this to the power-threat hypothesis, then dehumanisation and how these two were evolutionary; killing rival groups increases your own groups survival chances through greater access to resources, more women, better chance for reproducing etc.

Dehumanisation was evolutionary as it made the process of killing easier in itself which would normally be hard to do; but dehumanising rival group members in ritualistic killings (lynchings) made it easier to kill rival group members to increase their own adaptive fitness (hence evolutionary).

then throw in supporting studies and evaluation.

The biggest one is that evolutionary explanations tend to be post-hoc and after the event has happened, they are difficult to prove or disprove and can argue both ways.
Such group behaviour could be argued to go against evolutionary behaviour as mixing with outsider groups would increase genetic diversity and create stronger genes hence why it can be argued both ways yet this states we go against outsiders...etc etc.

I posted my own model essay answer many months ago; search my posts with attachments and you should find it; that will tell you everything you need to know.

good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
thank you
what did you get for psya3 then? i did psya4 in january
Reply 3
Original post by faith93
thank you
what did you get for psya3 then? i did psya4 in january

for psya3 I got full marks 100ums, I sat it on January 19th this year.

if you want my paper3 model answers il send them you if you want, just post your email.

they are zipped In winrar so you will need that to unzip them.

I'm sitting paper 4 on June 18th, how did you find paper 4? how did you do? any tips?

I'm doing schizophrenia, media and research methods as standard.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
i did better than expected and better than my whole class actually, who all seemed to get C's on psya4. i got a mid A which is really good for my ability lol. my teacher was shocked.

i did depression and addiction, and then research methods obv. i dont know how yours are but the content for addiction was twice as much as depression which is ridiculous, so it was really hard revision-wise.

the thing with psychology is that written expression is important. if you can write coherently and clearly and it sounds convincing and like your confident in the content then your likely to get higher marks unless its complete rubbish. examiners are reading a load of papers, so the ones that make their job easy without making them re-read are likely to be looked on positively. i think that might be why i had an advantage on that paper because obv its all essay based and believe it or not im also an english student, so when i need to write well i can lol.

good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Mephestic

if you want my paper3 model answers il send them you if you want, just post your email.

I'm sitting paper 4 on June 18th, how did you find paper 4? how did you do? any tips?

omg how on earth did you get 100ums! sooo jealous! my whole class had no higher than 50...
Reply 6

Hiii, I'm doing aggression too for PSYA3. What other chapters did you do for this unit? :smile:

I'm trying to get 100UMS marks but am confused on how I should go about it. how did you find the best way to study? Was it writing up essay plans for each question and learning that way?

I'm an external student so I dont have a teacher and want an A so badly haha
Reply 7
Are you completely sure 'group displays as an adaptive behaviour' is still in the syllabus??

my teacher seems to have missed this out in lessons, and now he's taking time off school,
helpp?!
:/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by :)J
Hiii, I'm doing aggression too for PSYA3. What other chapters did you do for this unit? :smile:

I'm trying to get 100UMS marks but am confused on how I should go about it. how did you find the best way to study? Was it writing up essay plans for each question and learning that way?

I'm an external student so I dont have a teacher and want an A so badly haha

Hey,
Best way to revise is to keep practising model answers until you remember them.
It was tiring, tedious and drove me absolutely mad but I had been doing it for about 4 months before my exams constantly.

It took me a long time and although I wasnt 100% confident on them; I hedged my bets on things I thought may come up and got fairly lucky to be fair.

If I was doing the paper again this June (thank god im not though) I would bet on the following coming up:

Sleep: Biological rhythms (most likely circadian) or lifespan changes in sleep.

Relationships: Sexual selection is highly likely or maintenance of relationships.

Aggression: Genes and aggression.

There is no way to know for sure but its what my best guesses would be on for these topics I studied. (no idea about the others).

What topics are you doing?
Reply 9
Original post by kathhh8
Are you completely sure 'group displays as an adaptive behaviour' is still in the syllabus??

my teacher seems to have missed this out in lessons, and now he's taking time off school,
helpp?!

Yes; we are talking about group displays of aggression right?
Heres a link to the spec, scroll down and see for yourself:
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2180-W-SP-12.PDF

Heres a copy and paste from it:

Aggression

Social psychological approaches to explaining aggression
Social psychological theories of aggression, for example, social learning theory, deindividuation
Institutional aggression

Biological explanations of aggression
Neural and hormonal mechanisms in aggression
Genetic factors in aggressive behaviour

Evolution and human aggression
Evolutionary explanations of human aggression, including infidelity and jealousy
Evolutionary explanations of group display in humans, for example sport and warfare
Original post by kathhh8

helpp?!

It's definitely still in the specification. AQA suggested students focus on warfare as a group display instead of lynch mobs as they want to get away from potential sociology based answers. Lynch mobs would still form a valid basis for an answer though provided you argue they are an adaptive response that aids group survival, and evaluate it using studies such as the Brazillian lynch mobs. You also need to know about religious displays and sports violence. The website link in my signature will help you.
Reply 11
Original post by emsul
omg how on earth did you get 100ums! sooo jealous! my whole class had no higher than 50...

believe me when I say "it wasnt easy".

I had spent a long time revising for it and it had driven me to a point of insanity at one point...basically what paper 4 is doing now..:s-smilie:
Reply 12
Hey,
Best way to revise is to keep practising model answers until you remember them.
It was tiring, tedious and drove me absolutely mad but I had been doing it for about 4 months before my exams constantly.

It took me a long time and although I wasnt 100% confident on them; I hedged my bets on things I thought may come up and got fairly lucky to be fair.

If I was doing the paper again this June (thank god im not though) I would bet on the following coming up:

Sleep: Biological rhythms (most likely circadian) or lifespan changes in sleep.

Relationships: Sexual selection is highly likely or maintenance of relationships.

Aggression: Genes and aggression.

There is no way to know for sure but its what my best guesses would be on for these topics I studied. (no idea about the others).

What topics are you doing?

I'm doing Aggression, Cognition and development and intelligence.

I got AB_A but i did pretty low in the unit 4 so i need to get an 85 in PSYA3 for an overall A, but i'm hoping for 100%.

do you by any chance have any of your essays/mind maps that I could steal of you?

I'm considering doing relationships mindmaps too just in case one of my topic questions are horrible.

Theres just so much information, it would be like 10 essay plans per topic, roughly?
Reply 13

I had spent a long time revising for it and it had driven me to a point of insanity at one point...basically what paper 4 is doing now..:s-smilie:

i thought the exam was awesome, and really liked the questions on there, but when i had my paper back my teacher "had no idea" why i did so bad, so its a mystery...

paper 4 is not so bad, schizophrenia is pretty straight forward along with the research methods :smile:
Reply 14

Which essay questions came up in the January Unit 3 paper?
Reply 15
Hii,

I have a question for institutional aggression. It says on the syllabus you need to know between groups and within groups

I have done an essay on institutional aggression within groups, it goes like;

intro: describing institutional aggression
para 1: the deprivation model outlined
para 2: zimbardo's prison study
para 3: McCorkle study
para 4: evaluation of deprivation model

para 5: the important model outlined
para 6: Kane and Janus study
para 7: Mills Kroner and Weekes study
para 8: evalution on studies

conclusion: on both these models

My question is : For institutional aggression within groups, is it correct to use the deprivation/importation model

And secondly, what does an essay on institutional aggression BETWEEN groups need be on?

Thank you for any help!
Reply 16

Do you remember what the January questions were I'm just doing a last practice of them before my exam tomorrow and I can't find the Jan. 2012 paper online lol?
Reply 17

I'm doing schizophrenia, media and reseamethods as standard.

Hi, did you study relationships and eating habits aswell as aggression? If so, please email me youtlr model answers, and if not, send me which topics you did? Thanks, my email is [email protected] x
Reply 18
My aggression model answers are on Itunes; simply search "Psya3" - you need an ipad to view the book
PSYA3 is awesome! I love the chapters, I'm also doing aggression!!

Quick Reply