The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Daydreams
Ah, but what if you can manage both :wink:

Hehe that's good too :smile:

I'm sort of off the scale at both ends - only 7 actual GCSE's :eek: , but it equates to thirtenn (provided I pass everything).

No-one at my school can possibly take more than 9 - there's just not enough lessons.
Reply 41
Most people at my school did nine - as did I.
12.5- in my school everyone did maths, English lang, English lit, 3 sciences, 1 language, 1 technology (although there were exceptions to the languages and technology if you really hated them) and 3 other subjects, plus optional short course R.E.
I go to a Grammar school but even so I'm not sure whether its a good idea to push everyone to do so many subjects. I nearly gave up D.T because I found the coursework so time-consuming and I seemed to be always behind with it, I struggled with it, got really good marks in the coursework and didn't know anything in the exam (we weren't taught any theory) so got an A overall, whereas I got an A* in everything else. Still worth the stress I guess, I enjoyed it sometimes.
I also did Music early in year 8- although that sounds like I'm showing off or geeky, I don't think GCSEs on their own are very hard at all, without much homework or coursework or of course other GCSEs to revise for I just carried on learning pieces in my lessons, composed 2 or 3 pieces and didn't learn much theory but got 50%-odd in the listening exam and an A overall.
Reply 43
I took 12 subjects but two of them were short course (I.T. and R.E.) so that is 11 GCSEs. I am happy about this number because it's no lower than average or higher so i am at no disadvantage (not that it matters how many GCSEs you take anyway unless it's some impossible number like 17 and you still get straight A*s :rolleyes: that i suppose would give you a slight advantage :p: ).
I'm surprised no-one has said 16!
I took 16.*

*Joke.
Reply 46
11.5 - 11 this year, and ICT short course taken 2 years early.

Luckily, I liked all the subjects I took (except for the horrible ICT :frown:), but I would happily have taken 10 instead of 11 because 1 subject makes such a lot of difference. It's a lot more work, and I have so much respect for people who took 12 or more!
I took 12, 1 early, but I am going to try and take another one or two next year; maybe Spanish and Japanese?
I did 13 alltogethor
Reply 49
I either did 13.5 or 14.5

Not sure.................but i do german as an extra subject
Reply 50
mortderire
why isnt there a poll option for less than 9- cos i know people who have only got 8 GCSEs lol

It isn't that funny. Some people find GCSEs very hard. And I am sure one would get into Oxford with 8 A*s providing the A-levels were up to scratch.

As for me; 9 GCSEs and Additional Maths. That's the most our school officially offers.
I have 11, I guess - and 12 subjects - 10 full courses and 2 short courses. I just think it's pointless how the GCSEs are a 'nationalised' exam when everyone can take different number of subjects; surely the more subjects you have, the more disadvantaged you are because you have more content to study & revise. I guess it comes down to, for example, whether 9A*s or 9A*s, 2As & 1B looks better.
Reply 52
the first one looks better, hence why i think it's nothing short of foolish to take so many GCSEs that you comprimise your chances of achieving your potential.
aced
the first one looks better, hence why i think it's nothing short of foolish to take so many GCSEs that you comprimise your chances of achieving your potential.

But it's usually the school that decides how many GCSEs the students do...
Reply 54
Fair enough; not in my case. I'm only speaking from experience.
Excalibur
But it's usually the school that decides how many GCSEs the students do...

Very unfair, I know :frown:
Reply 56
aced
And I am sure one would get into Oxford with 8 A*s providing the A-levels were up to scratch.

As for me; 9 GCSEs and Additional Maths. That's the most our school officially offers.

It's true that University don't look at the amount of GCSE's. I know people who have got into Oxford/Cambridge with 7 GCSE, not even al A*'s (though they were A*/A's). How many people get really depends on what courses you choose, rather than intelligence.
Excalibur
I guess it comes down to, for example, whether 9A*s or 9A*s, 2As & 1B looks better.

I'm certainly hoping for the first :p:

It depends on the way you look at it, really. For instance, Oxford medicine uses an A*%, but Cambridge uses the A*=1, A=0.6 system.
Reply 58
LouisaG
Cambridge uses the A*=1, A=0.6 system.

And when compared with A-Level results, both are pretty negligible :rolleyes:
LouisaG
I'm certainly hoping for the first :p:

It depends on the way you look at it, really. For instance, Oxford medicine uses an A*%, but Cambridge uses the A*=1, A=0.6 system.

Exactly. Going by the Oxford system, it will follow that 4A*s is better than 4A*s and 6As.

Latest