The Student Room Group

Ice Hockey

Scroll to see replies

HJV
So does anyone know any channels where the semi-finals and the finals might be shown? I'm gonna have go to ask around pubs if they have these channels once I find out which channels might show the champs :p:

Do give us a yell if you find out, won't you?

;please;

:ta:
Reply 61
Yeah, let us know if you find somewhere.
Should Tre Kronor get further, I can imagine that the Harcourt Arms (near Edgware Road tube in Ldn) might suddenly decide to show their games. They should be able to get Swedish TV3 via their satellite.
www.theharcourt.com... as you can see, right now their schedule is only showing Allsvenskan football matches being shown (stupid!). That said, I might pop in for the Djurgården Hammerby derby on Wednesday.
Reply 62
HJV
Wouldn't the Finland-Swedes actually support Finland? I mean if it's a Finnish radio channel, they'd probably be pro-Finland wouldn't they?

Yes, of course, the Finland-Swedes absolutely support Finland. I am half a Finland Swede myself, hence why I support Finland and am a Mumintroll. I lived in Stockholm during the Olympics (and other Swedish successes in 06), so I had to watch it on Sweden-Swedish television with Sweden-Swedish commentators. Not good. And as soon as the game finished, having all Swedish friends singing OS-Guld, OS-Guld, OS-Guld at you for most of the next week wasn't the best either! :mad:

Anyway, just looked on a forum for (Sweden-)Swedes living in the UK. Apparently The Harcourt Arms can get Viasat's TV3, but Viasat have moved the hockey world championship to TV6 which the pub can't get. One Swedish guy suggests the pub Maple Leaf in Maiden Lane or F3K-Famous 3 Kings in West Kensington. Apparently they've a record of showing hockey games in the past.

Edit: Just saw you're Finnish as well (well, I assume so, if you work in S market in the summer!). I tried out Yle's Swedish internet transmission last night, and as expected it's blocked to within Finland only - sadly, it's a rights-blocked video feed, shame they can't at least broadcast the audio commentary to us who live abroad. Sveriges Radio is offering commentary that does work outside of Sweden, but they're only covering Tre Kronor's games.. I listened a bit yesterday, quite satisfying that they played so poorly against Belarus :wink:.
Playoff hockey is now at its peak, the conference finals start tonight. I really hope the Stars can overcome the Red Wings because they have always been a team we struggle against, and i hate the. Would be great to play the Penguins in the final. I'd love to see the look on Crosby's face when we lift his 'precious' cup.
Reply 64
I've been shocked with the Stars, they've really done well in this post season - seems like Modano still has it!

I don't think they'll be strong enough to overcome the Red Wings though, Franzen is on FIREEEEEEE

Penguins are looking insanely good too.
Morrow has been the one to really step up, Modano couldn't handle the captaincy and now he's a better player.

Red Wings to underestimate the Stars and Morrow to get the game winning goal and Turco to put on a show.

Alternatively, Detroit could just rip us a new one...
Am a vancouver cannucks fan and a calgary flames one too, sort of torn between the 2. Calgary gave me plenty of good games with their championship season when i was there 2003-04 but vancouver was my first ever hockey game so feel my loyalty there too.
Miss hockey night in canada on a saturday so bad over here- and whilst 5 usually shows some NHL its all edited and cut- i like the full thing :smile:
doesnt seem to be a club around here that i know of youd think being scotland and all lol
x
Reply 67
Grace Under Pressure
Morrow has been the one to really step up, Modano couldn't handle the captaincy and now he's a better player.

Red Wings to underestimate the Stars and Morrow to get the game winning goal and Turco to put on a show.

Alternatively, Detroit could just rip us a new one...

Yeh.
NHL.com's highlight service is brilliant.

Osgood looked to be on fire, and Detroit have been playing some very nice attacking hockey. Penguins...Malkin is a beaaasst.
malibulucy
Am a vancouver cannucks fan and a calgary flames one too, sort of torn between the 2. Calgary gave me plenty of good games with their championship season when i was there 2003-04 but vancouver was my first ever hockey game so feel my loyalty there too.
Miss hockey night in canada on a saturday so bad over here- and whilst 5 usually shows some NHL its all edited and cut- i like the full thing :smile:
doesnt seem to be a club around here that i know of youd think being scotland and all lol
x

Edinburgh, fife, paisley, dundee all have clubs.
edinburgh is the only one that would be really within travelling distance for me others are a bit far. I was meaning we dont seem to have a local team which seems odd as well back home in england we had one and that wasnt a big place at all. Maybe there is and i just dont know it. :smile:
x
Reply 70
malibulucy
edinburgh is the only one that would be really within travelling distance for me others are a bit far. I was meaning we dont seem to have a local team which seems odd as well back home in england we had one and that wasnt a big place at all. Maybe there is and i just dont know it. :smile:
x

Hockey in Scotland is going through a really bad time at the moment,with only Edinburgh in the Elite League and the others playing in the Scottish National League, the SNL is only made up of Fife, Dundee, the other Edinburgh side, Solway and Paisley. I think the Aberdeen SNL team disbanded and theres only a few junior leagues playing currently.

Hopefully both Dundee and Fife will join the Elite League in the future, their fans deserve top level hockey
Reply 71
Zahara
Anyone watch Sweden-Russia.. woooww violent! And Finland-USA last night was pretty intense as well! Almost felt bad for Germany when they lost 1-10 to Canada.. So wish I could watch Finland-Canada tonight!

Where did you see this? Did you find a pub somewhere showing it?
I really, really want to be able to watch the bronze match Finland-Sweden this evening.
Reply 72
Aha, you must be outside the UK. It's not on tv here. I listened to Swedish Radio's commentary, only feed I could find that would work outside its own borders.

Yeah, the result was great. Niklas Bäckström was so good in goal, if it wasn't for him it might have been a different result. The Swedes had 36 shots on goal! Finland only 13... luckily for us though, 4 of ours went in and Bäckström stopped all of theirs. I would have loved to actually have seen it though, rather than just heard it.
Reply 73
Oh right, I couldn't get Yle's feed to work. It just said it's restricted to viewers inside Finland only :frown: . Listening to Finland playing via Sveriges Radio is less than ideal, as you can imagine!

Normally I hate Finland-Sweden games. It's too hard to watch for some reason. But this one was much easier, after being 2-0 up so early on. It's a little bit of an end of an era too, Selänne's last game for the national team. In any case, we beat most of the tipster's predictions and got a medal out of this tournament. That's nice. And beating Sweden too :biggrin:

Yeah, I'd prefer Canada to win. I think it would be good for interest in the World Championships in Canada, after all it's the biggest hockey country really. It seems that even though it's being held in Canada, it hasn't really taken any of their attention away from the Stanley Cup playoffs, which is a shame.
Reply 74
Pens through to the final after a 6 - 0 drumming of the Flyers....

Red Wings and Stars locked in a rather epic battle to meet them, if Stars win tonight it goes to game 7!
Jimi Haze
Pens through to the final after a 6 - 0 drumming of the Flyers....

Red Wings and Stars locked in a rather epic battle to meet them, if Stars win tonight it goes to game 7!

33 years!
Reply 76
I'm a HUGE ice hockey fan of the national hockey league here in north america where the best players come to play :smile::smile:

GO LEAFS GO
Reply 77
Pens vs Red Wings in the final then....

I think Osgood will have a rather large part to play...
The Pens to win it in 6 (hopefully).
Grace Under Pressure
The Pens to win it in 6 (hopefully).

Agreed, anyone but the wings. :wink:

Quick Reply