The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Overbearing Mother + Distant Father = Gay Son?

This poll is closed

Overbearing mother + Distant father = Gay son?

True - in most cases17%
False - it's just a myth67%
In some cases17%
Total votes: 6
I heard this on a tv programme lately and it reminded me of my friend who has a seriously overbearing mother and a dad that works really hard and is pretty quiet at home (due to overbearing mother! hehe!). He came out a few months ago (apparently he's "bi" but has only been with guys...so...meh!)

Anyway! I was just wondering what your thoughts were? I don't really have a stance - I'd just like to see what other people think. Are you gay or do you know someone who is and they are in the same situation as my friend? Or do you/they feel they are gay for different reasons?

Go for it! =]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apparently lots of Transgender people also had the same.

My Dad worked for BAS for many years so I only saw him for short amounts of time as he was in Antartica for months at a time. My mum was quite "Overbearing " as you put it.

I, however, am straight. Although I did go through a phase where I though I might be Bi for some reason (puberty thing).
Reply 2
I think overbearing mothers and distant fathers can be more CONSEQUENCES than CAUSES of homosexuality in males, especially as the causes of homosexuality appear to largely genetic. Heterosexual boys would tell overbearing mothers to ***** off and also bond more easily with their fathers.
You heard that on Law & Order, right!? Love that show. Ice-T is my homie.

Pretty much the same childhood I had, and I'd say a lot of difficulty stems from that. I'm not going to go into sexual orientation, but yes, it does make you a somewhat different person than you may have been.
Reply 4
I have an overbearing mother and a pretty distant father, and I'm straighter than you. (please tell me your straight, otherwise that just WON't work lol)
Reply 5
DeSiFiEd
I have an overbearing mother and a pretty distant father, and I'm straighter than you. (please tell me your straight, otherwise that just WON't work lol)

Ditto.
Now that i think about it, my girlfriend's gay friend has an overbearing mother and hasn't seen his dad in years.
Reply 7
Hmmm that does seem to fit thinking about it. My mum is pretty overbearing whilst i rarely see my dad.
I hope not -- that's my family. :p:

However, I did learn for psychology A-Level that high expressed emotion (i.e. caused generally by an overbearing mother and distant father) can lead to an increased risk of schizophrenia, and this supposedly in part explains why there are a large amount of schizophrenics in countries like Iran (i.e. the culture of high expressed emotion)...
Reply 9
Frankly Vulgar
You heard that on Law & Order, right!? Love that show. Ice-T is my homie.

Pretty much the same childhood I had, and I'd say a lot of difficulty stems from that. I'm not going to go into sexual orientation, but yes, it does make you a somewhat different person than you may have been.

YES! I did! SVU! Hehe! =P
Norman Bates wasn't gay...
errr, who DOESN'T have an overbearing mother? :confused: but i guess the distant father thing may fit some of the time
My mother isn't overbearing...
I'm gay but I didn't have an overbearing mother or a distant father. Or at least I didn't when I was younger.
Well my parents are divorced and I live with my mum and see my dad every couple of weekends so hes pretty distant from me. I'm gay but I wouldn't say its because of this, instead growing up with my mum I have been comfortable in embracing my sexuality because I don't have a constant 'this is how a man should behave' influence fomr my dad. I was always gay but just happier to come to terms with it because my dad wasn't a major rolemodel in developing my 'manly' side
Reply 15
That's just rubbish. Another attempt by some lame person to try to 'solve' homosexuality, when in fact there's nothing to solve. Homosexuality is a part of the human condition and people should just stop trying to figure out why some people are gay. They just are!

My closest friend is gay and he has a solid relationship with both parents. These sorts of theories are purely based on prejudice and stereotypes.
That's just rubbish. Another attempt by some lame person to try to 'solve' homosexuality, when in fact there's nothing to solve. Homosexuality is a part of the human condition and people should just stop trying to figure out why some people are gay. They just are!

My closest friend is gay and he has a solid relationship with both parents. These sorts of theories are purely based on prejudice and stereotypes.

:five:

My best mate is gay, and his parents are nothing like that. He's just a solid outstanding lad, with not emotional or upbringing issues, that just happens to fancy other males.

It comes from old ideas that work on ideas like Gay=Camp=Effeminate=Maternal influence=overbearing mother=lack of paternal involvement=distant father.
What is an overbearing mother?

My mum was a bit till I got 14
Reply 18
jismith1989
I hope not -- that's my family. :p:

However, I did learn for psychology A-Level that high expressed emotion (i.e. caused generally by an overbearing mother and distant father) can lead to an increased risk of schizophrenia, and this supposedly in part explains why there are a large amount of schizophrenics in countries like Iran (i.e. the culture of high expressed emotion)...

What's high expressed emotion?
My mom is overbearing, and I only see my dad three or four times a year... and i turned out gay (i'm a girl)... so i don't think that's related in any way...

Latest