The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes
Why? Well you'd be able to live off it.
Reply 2
Yes, depending on where you live.

e.g. in NI, 40K would probably be grand in most areas. In London or Dublin, you'd be a bit more constrained.
Reply 3
Before or after tax? Either way its above average so I'd say so, I can't imagine being in any financial problems with that salary.
Of course it's a good salary. I'm aiming for something higher in my career (obviously) but you could live very comfortably on £40k.
Living in London with a sizeable family? Then no. But otherwise, then yes.
Reply 6
Depends at what point in your career though - entry level with 40k is amazing. 20 years experience with 40k is not so amazing (might have problems sending kids to uni without loans, for example).
Reply 7
Yes!! The national average is £24K or something close to that. How is that a low salary? I bet people here who are aiming for higher will have a shock when they enter the jobs market. Isn't the average graduate starting wage £18K?
Yes. I'd be waaaaaaaay too happy with that amount, in fact, it might even scare me :s-smilie:

To be honest, I'll be content with 20k+ and would be very very happy with 30k :smile:
Reply 9
It's reasonable. Would want to be earning that within 10 years, preferably much more.
Reply 10
Yes, that's a lot of money to me. I thought the average salary was actually lower than ily_em suggested, around £22,000? That's probably around what I'll be earning if I make it as a teacher. If I can live and be financially independant with my own car and house then I'll be very happy :smile:
It's ok for most people but i wouldn't be happy
Reply 12
It's enough to be financially independent in most parts of the country.
Reply 13
Depends really....not *that* much if you have years of experience in a job but otherwise it's pretty good! :smile:
Depends entirely on what job it was you had to do.

If it was a job i loved i'd happily stay on £40k all my life (or even £30k.) If it was something very stressful or dangerous with no scope for improvement I'd need to be paid more to work there permanently i think.
Reply 15
i'd say it's mediocre but you would be able to live a comfy existence on it and tbh, whilst i do aspire to be much wealthier, if i did end up on that sort of money i wouldnt mind at all.

depends where you live tho. in london that is frankly peanuts unless you dont have a mortgage to pay...but why on earth any sane individual would live anywhere near that dump is beyond me....most other places, including the area i live in you could have a great life on that
Reply 16
The amount of people saying it's just reasonable or not enough in some circumstances surprises me.

Personally, considering this is twice the national average, and more than either of my parents make (and we live more than comfortably) I think this is a very good salary.
Keep in mind that if your partner also earns 40k, as a household you're making 80k.

It doesn't seem quite so bad when you put it like that.

However the woman inevitably has to have kids, so...
Reply 18
yes, definitely. I'd be very happy if I was making that much in 20 years.
Reply 19
Depends on your job and location.

If you're a 40 year old banker living in central london and working 60 hours, then you're being underpaid.

If you're straight out of uni, working in middle management and living in Newcastle, then it's a pretty sweet deal.

Latest

Trending

Trending