The Student Room Group

How to get a Distinction star in BTEC National Diploma?

Hi all,

Finishing college in a couple of weeks and doing a BTEC National Diploma Public Service course.:smile:
Getting distinction for all units, does that mean i can get a Distinction Star?:confused: :confused:

If not how do you get a distinction star?:eek3:

cheers:woo:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
jd1608
Hi all,

Finishing college in a couple of weeks and doing a BTEC National Diploma Public Service course.:smile:
Getting distinction for all units, does that mean i can get a Distinction Star?:confused: :confused:

As far as I'm aware, distinction star doesn't exist, UCAS Tariff table also only shows has entries as high as DDD.
Reply 2
yh DDD is equivilant to AAA at A Level is this your finaly year of your BTEC when's your final day of college i got a couple weeks left to
Reply 3
Marcollo
yh DDD is equivilant to AAA at A Level is this your finaly year of your BTEC when's your final day of college i got a couple weeks left to

no DDD is class as AAB according to tariff. some unis will take it for AAA offers because you cant get any higher than DDD for btec.
Reply 4
I did a BTEC and got DDM which is like AAC. The highest is DDD as the maximum UCAS points for a BTEC is 360.
What does a Public Service BTEC entail? Just curious because mine was in construction engineering
Reply 5
ExitSoul
I did a BTEC and got DDM which is like AAC. The highest is DDD as the maximum UCAS points for a BTEC is 360.
What does a Public Service BTEC entail? Just curious because mine was in construction engineering

or you could also say that DDM is the same as ABB, prob best to just look at uni btec requirements to see if yours fit rather than comparing them with a levels. :smile:
Reply 6
iam doing a btec in Media Production and predicted to get a DDM this year
Reply 7
anon2010
or you could also say that DDM is the same as ABB, prob best to just look at uni btec requirements to see if yours fit rather than comparing them with a levels. :smile:

To be honest after a BTEC you are not going to get into a top 10 unless you do something like Engineering or Medical science, with a public services BTEC you'll be looking at anywhere lower than Loughborough even with DDD. So it all depends on the subject
Reply 8
DDD = AAA
MMM = CCC
PPP = EEE

You can't get Distinction* with BTEC National Diplomas.
Reply 9
iPhone
DDD = AAA
MMM = CCC
PPP = EEE

The BTEC National Diplomas from Stepember 2010 there will be a D*
BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Public Service
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/BTEC%20Nationals%20from%202010/BTEC_Nationals_Public_Services_L3.pdf( look at p. 67)
Applied Science

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/BTEC%20Nationals%20from%202010/BN021867_BTEC_National_Applied_Science.pdf (go to page 69.)
Engineering

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/BTEC%20Nationals%20from%202010/BTEC_Nationals_Engineering_L3.pdf (P 15)
Reply 10
iPhone
DDD = AAA
MMM = CCC
PPP = EEE

DDD = AAB/AAC = 360points
MMM = BCD/ADD = 240points
PPP = EED = 140points

according to ucas tariff.
ExitSoul
To be honest after a BTEC you are not going to get into a top 10 unless you do something like Engineering or Medical science, with a public services BTEC you'll be looking at anywhere lower than Loughborough even with DDD. So it all depends on the subject
it is not always about going to a top 10 uni. even so it is not only the top 10 unis that ask for AAA/AAB. places like newcastle for example will take BTEC nationals yet they still ask for AAA for some courses. this is why i suggest take people look at requirements.
you can still get into good unis with a BTEC.
Reply 11
As far as i know, you can only get a distinction * in level 2 BTECs
Reply 12
Distinction*'s are in First Diploma - I got that for First diploma in Animal Care... To get a Distinction* in First Dip you need to get everything at distinction.

Im predicted to get DDD in ND Animal Managment! xD
jd1608
Hi all,

Distinction star doesn't exist in this qualification unlike the First Diploma. For The National Diploma you can ONLY achieve up to DDD grade.
Reply 14
ExitSoul

Bit late but just been browsing this thread.. I was told Distinction star was coming this September to match A* by my tutors (I've just finished by course, got DDD)

Also, going to a top 10 uni. :smile:
Zorgiie
Bit late but just been browsing this thread.. I was told Distinction star was coming this September to match A* by my tutors (I've just finished by course, got DDD)

Also, going to a top 10 uni. :smile:

Haha, im a late browser too :smile:

Im doing a BTEC in media in sept.

Congrats on the uni btw :biggrin:, which one are you going to ?
Reply 16
ConfusedRazzledandy
Haha, im a late browser too :smile:

Im doing a BTEC in media in sept.

Congrats on the uni btw :biggrin:, which one are you going to ?

University of York :smile:
Aah awesome, its a fantastic course!
Maybe this has changed since I did my diploma (2002 - 2004), but a BTEC National Diploma DDD profile is worth 360 points, which unless something dramatic has changed is the equivalent of 3 A's at A level (AAA = 360).

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/factsheet/btecnda
http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/factsheet/gcea
No it's still the same according to that

Edexcel is currently working with UCAS to map the new BTEC Level 3 National QCF qualifications to the UCAS Tariff. UCAS has stated that it "views them to be updated versions of the existing NQF versions of the (Level 3) BTEC Nationals" and this implies that the Tariff points are unlikely to change.

So a DDD is still 360 points, which is the same as 3 A Levels at A (1 A is 120 points).

Edexcel has proposed that the D* has an equivalence with the GCE A* grade.

So if that works out D*D*D* profile will be the same as A*A*A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending