The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Loads of people do Stem Cells.

By all means do it if you think you can bash out a good report, but it's always difficult when you're being compared with loads of other reports.
I have to do this issue report thingy as well, and I was thinking of antibiotic resistance. But there doesn't seem to be that much of a debate anymore, even though the problem is still there. Everyone seems to have acknowledged what need to be done, and just not done it. Any thoughts? Ineed to have 'dicussed at least three possible solutions to the problem' for the report.
Reply 3
i am doing this issue report aswel and the topic which i ahve chosen is animal cloning and i need to disscus the problems can anyone please help me with the problems for animal cloning..
Reply 4
i did mine, our school is takin th in early..

I did obesity but it was really a last resort as firstly i chose bioterrorism; a subject that was unique so i thought it would get me higher marks.. but it wasnt meant to be that way cos it was rly hard to find info on the critera for it. Int the end, my obesity resport never got a second draft so i dont know what i got for it and it was like 100 words over the 2000 limit.

so my advice is do research on the topic to see that u can get all the info u can get on each part of the makscheme.. even if its a popular subjct atleast u will get the maximum marks attainable by markscheme.

Choose a subject that interest u also! not just one that u think will get u higher marks like i did with bioterrorism.

good luk :smile:
Reply 5
I am currently re-doing this piece of work, I did about doping in cycling last year and it didn't go wonderfully well, it was a brilliant article but didn't pose a question/ My biggest tip pick something that poses a big question and you can discuss, something that you could stand up in front of 30 people and talk consistently about. It can range from talking about your bottom to the colour of the sky you have so much to choose from, for me the hardest part is selecting one from the huge masses of things to talk about. As for A2 I seriously think that coursework was far easier than AS. It is quick to layout and begin wheras the AS requires a bit more thought about what you are doing. I got 36/60 for AS and that was doing it what I thought was well and then 33/60 for A2 and that was an atrocious piece of work which I did in 2 days I have redone it now and got 55/60 but it shows the difference, just go out there and LET US TAKE ON THE BIOLOGICAL WORLD!
Reply 6
I did sickle cell anemia and its effects on malaria when I did mine.

Pretty easy to do and I got a good mark for it.
Reply 7
Original post by Wallam
I did sickle cell anemia and its effects on malaria when I did mine.

Pretty easy to do and I got a good mark for it.

hey i am thinking of doing topic premature babies .. do u think its a good topic ? n wot problem could i tlk about.. the prematurity itself or should I talk about something else
Reply 8
Original post by godknowsprerna
hey i am thinking of doing topic premature babies .. do u think its a good topic ? n wot problem could i tlk about.. the prematurity itself or should I talk about something else

Ultimately like other people have said its good to have a basic question to work from. That way you can confirm or deny the possible answers and thus have a good structure set up automatically in your issue report.

Premature babies may have some plausible questions, although its such a broad subject, and there will be so many different reasons for prematurity that its probably best to narrow it down a bit if thats the topic you decide to do. It may also be difficult to find any results to use in your experiment to do with prematurity which could make it tricky.

Good luck either way.
Reply 9
Original post by Wallam
Ultimately like other people have said its good to have a basic question to work from. That way you can confirm or deny the possible answers and thus have a good structure set up automatically in your issue report.

Premature babies may have some plausible questions, although its such a broad subject, and there will be so many different reasons for prematurity that its probably best to narrow it down a bit if thats the topic you decide to do. It may also be difficult to find any results to use in your experiment to do with prematurity which could make it tricky.

Good luck either way.

Hey
I was thinking of doing treatments for it.... give the main treatment as the incubators ... then write problems about it like ethical and economical and then as my alternate solution talk about drugs which can postpone premature labour ... or accelerate development of the fetus.. something along those lines

does it sound like a good idea?

btw thanks a lot for u reply :smile: much appreciated.. i really need to start with the essay by tomorrow and finish it before tuesday :frown::frown:
Reply 10
Hey
I was thinking of doing treatments for it.... give the main treatment as the incubators ... then write problems about it like ethical and economical and then as my alternate solution talk about drugs which can postpone premature labour ... or accelerate development of the fetus.. something along those lines

btw thanks a lot for u reply :smile: much appreciated.. i really need to start with the essay by tomorrow and finish it before tuesday :frown::frown:

It certainly sounds like you have a good idea about the basic structure of your report. If you have to hand it in by Tuesday its probably better that you get going rather than procrastinate further. I seem to remember that one day in the womb = one week in an incubator, so you may want to check and include that in there. You may also want to have a look at certain diseases that may cause early delivery of a baby, such as pre-eclampsia.

I am worried however that it will be difficult to find results, that you need to prove whatever hypothesis you choose to do with premature babies.

Good luck anyhow.
Reply 11
Original post by Wallam
It certainly sounds like you have a good idea about the basic structure of your report. If you have to hand it in by Tuesday its probably better that you get going rather than procrastinate further. I seem to remember that one day in the womb = one week in an incubator, so you may want to check and include that in there. You may also want to have a look at certain diseases that may cause early delivery of a baby, such as pre-eclampsia.

I am worried however that it will be difficult to find results, that you need to prove whatever hypothesis you choose to do with premature babies.

Good luck anyhow.

hey
sorry but i didnt get wot u mean by finding results to prove the hypothesis :s-smilie: r u tlkin about proving how my alternate solutions are better then the main solution :confused: then im doin economical and ethical issues....
n aah tht sounds so interesting [one]
but unfortunately I can't find any information about it on the internet :frown:
Reply 12
hey
sorry but i didnt get wot u mean by finding results to prove the hypothesis :s-smilie: r u tlkin about proving how my alternate solutions are better then the main solution :confused: then im doin economical and ethical issues....
n aah tht sounds so interesting [one]
but unfortunately I can't find any information about it on the internet :frown:

If that is your hypothesis (economical and ethical issues) are you sure there is enough biology behind it to get a good mark? It seems very generalized and doesnt seem to me that you could put much biology in your report and thus you wouldn't do very well.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Wallam
If that is your hypothesis (economical and ethical issues) are you sure there is enough biology behind it to get a good mark? It seems very generalized and doesnt seem to me that you could put much biology in your report and thus you wouldn't do very well.

o_o omg im scared now ... aren't the treatments n alternatives biological :/ isnt tht enuf biology for the essay o_o
Reply 14
o_o omg im scared now ... aren't the treatments n alternatives biological :/ isnt tht enuf biology for the essay o_o

Well economical side (as in how much money treatment costs) really isn't biology related at all.

Treatments may be biological but you would have to delve fairly deep instead of just putting injections with substance X for example, you would have to find out how substance X affected the body, i,e blocking the uptake of a neurotransmitter on the pre-synaptic membrane in the nervous system for example.

You probably can put enough biology in, but it would also be very easy to not include enough so just make sure you do.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by agollaglee

Original post by agollaglee
I am currently re-doing this piece of work, I did about doping in cycling last year and it didn't go wonderfully well, it was a brilliant article but didn't pose a question/ My biggest tip pick something that poses a big question and you can discuss, something that you could stand up in front of 30 people and talk consistently about. It can range from talking about your bottom to the colour of the sky you have so much to choose from, for me the hardest part is selecting one from the huge masses of things to talk about. As for A2 I seriously think that coursework was far easier than AS. It is quick to layout and begin wheras the AS requires a bit more thought about what you are doing. I got 36/60 for AS and that was doing it what I thought was well and then 33/60 for A2 and that was an atrocious piece of work which I did in 2 days I have redone it now and got 55/60 but it shows the difference, just go out there and LET US TAKE ON THE BIOLOGICAL WORLD!

This thread is two years old :lolwut:
Reply 16
Original post by Wallam
Well economical side (as in how much money treatment costs) really isn't biology related at all.

Treatments may be biological but you would have to delve fairly deep instead of just putting injections with substance X for example, you would have to find out how substance X affected the body, i,e blocking the uptake of a neurotransmitter on the pre-synaptic membrane in the nervous system for example.

You probably can put enough biology in, but it would also be very easy to not include enough so just make sure you do.

hey sorry for bothering u soo much but thanks a lot for all ur help
I promise this will be the last question i will ask lol.. thanks a lot in advance.. this is how I am planning to layout my essay

-an introduction to premature birth
- solution supported with data - my main solution being Neonatal Intensive Care unit
-Evaluate the solution
- implications - ethical n economical
- how improving the survival rate will help humans
- alternative solutions - the drugs - explained in the way u told me [thanks for tht ]
- and then evaluate the sources at the end

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH ONCE AGAIN :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Revd. Mike
This thread is two years old :lolwut:

hey as u did bio for AS too .. could u plzzzzzzz advice on my above post too if u know anything about edexcel coursework lol :smile:
Reply 18
hey sorry for bothering u soo much but thanks a lot for all ur help
I promise this will be the last question i will ask lol.. thanks a lot in advance.. this is how I am planning to layout my essay

-an introduction to premature birth
- solution supported with data - my main solution being Neonatal Intensive Care unit
-Evaluate the solution
- implications - ethical n economical
- how improving the survival rate will help humans
- alternative solutions - the drugs - explained in the way u told me [thanks for tht ]
- and then evaluate the sources at the end

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH ONCE AGAIN :smile:

Maybe include, background, causes, treatments. in there as well. Its up to you to be honest, there is no "set way" to do it but I cant see any obvious gaps with the way you planned.
Reply 19
Original post by Wallam
Maybe include, background, causes, treatments. in there as well. Its up to you to be honest, there is no "set way" to do it but I cant see any obvious gaps with the way you planned.

ok thankkk youuuuuuuuuuu :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending