The Student Room Group

A-Levels needed for Midwifery?

I'm in year 11 and choosing my A-Levels right now. I'm thinking of going into either social work or into midwifery.
I just want some advice on my choices and whether or not they'd be suitable for the career choice I want to make (probably midwifery).
I want to do sociology, psychology, health and social care, art. I'm choosing art as the subject I drop because I've always enjoyed it and I don't see the point in having to drop an important subject after the AS level. (or whatever the first year is called)
Would these subjects be suitable for midwifery and/or social care?
If not, could I have some suggestions for what would be better?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Good subjects, but maybe biology or human biology would be a good choice instead of sociology... it just might be more appropriate... but its down to you, if you think your going to enjoy what you think you want to pick then go for it and good luck :smile:

and i dont think unis are too fussed about what exact subjects you have just as long as you can demonstrate potential and hard work
I'm doing Biology, Psychology and English Lang A Levels, and dropped Maths after AS. I have an offer to study midwifery at Nottingham this September :smile:

The subjects you're choosing are good, especially Health and Psychology. However, i think you should consider taking Biology or Human Biology. At the moment most unis do not specify you have to have a science, although some do, and i think in a few years when you do apply they will probably want you to have a science. It's a very competitive course and entry requirements are increasing every year!! xx
Reply 3
Universities like to see a science subject such as biology as well as english language at a level.
Also many universities will take into account at what you got at as level in the subject you dropped, as you can have this taken into account on your entry requirement- do well at as level to increase your chances of getting a place at university.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I think I'll do biology instead of art and drop sociology at AS, since I've done that since GCSE anyway :smile: thanks for the advice :smile:
you can't do health and social care if you want to do alevels. It's impossible. I'm doing sociology so many theories but I like it. .
do what you enjoy. there's no point doing a subject that you don't enjoy. But for Health and social care you get to do work experience and that may help. I'm doing extended project and I think you should do that to. you can write about why you want to be a midwife which is what I'm doing to. you may not get onto alevels straight away I didn't and was so upset because a year was wasted doing such a rubbish course but I realised I had something no one else had. an EXTRA qualification. I hope I haven't put you off. I'm just listing the stuff here. If you want to do these go ahead but you can not do health and social care with alevels because you have more health and social care lessons. go to the taster sessions and see which one you like best.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jaaaaaaade
I think I'll do biology instead of art and drop sociology at AS, since I've done that since GCSE anyway :smile: thanks for the advice :smile:

idiot... art you like it you can be an illustrator sociology u need it.
Reply 7
Original post by jolene12347767
you can't do health and social care if you want to do alevels. It's impossible. I'm doing sociology so many theories but I like it. .
do what you enjoy. there's no point doing a subject that you don't enjoy. But for Health and social care you get to do work experience and that may help. I'm doing extended project and I think you should do that to. you can write about why you want to be a midwife which is what I'm doing to. you may not get onto alevels straight away I didn't and was so upset because a year was wasted doing such a rubbish course but I realised I had something no one else had. an EXTRA qualification. I hope I haven't put you off. I'm just listing the stuff here. If you want to do these go ahead but you can not do health and social care with alevels because you have more health and social care lessons. go to the taster sessions and see which one you like best.

I do health and social care and A-level Biology so its not 'impossible' and this post was from 2012...i'm sure she has already picked her subjects. But taster sessions are a good idea.

Latest

Trending

Trending