The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4540
Original post by lekha2611
What's lakeside like?

Original post by Quexx
Does anyone know anything about the new accommodation, Sherbourne, opening 2012/2013?

Any information is helpful xD

Have a look at the first page of this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=338591 post 3 for Lakeside, post 4 for Sherbourne.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by XstreaMoon
hey may i know what's the difference between the old and new rootes? do first year undergrad get to choose between those two? thank you!

You don't get a choice - you can only apply to Rootes. You find out whether you are old or new when you get your accommodation offer.

As for old vs new. The first blocks, A-H, was built about 45 years ago, the others, J-P about 35-40 years ago. As for I block (international house) :iiam:

There are pics in the 4th post of this thread of both - but really there's no difference between them.

For example, A-C blocks have new kitchens for this year whereas other blocks might have older kitchens. To be honest, there has been enough time to refurbish all of Rootes many times over - so much so that you can't really say one is better than the other.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheTallOne

As for I block (international house) :iiam:

I got in there during a publicity run after Christmas. The place is a maze and every door seems to lead to no-where. There were no rooms or kitchens in sight. The mystery's even stronger after going in than it was when it was just speculation :tongue:
Reply 4544
I found out some more information about the new accommodation, Sherbourne. The entire area will compromise of 6 buildings each 4-storey. There will be 8 flats per building and 13 people per flat, in a style of 11 single rooms and 1 double room. (All en-suite).
There will be an 8 person lift and a staircase in each building. There is a kitchen per flat (hence shared by 13 people) however it seems there are going to be 2 cookers and 2 sinks per kitchen. Each building and flat will have a key-card system to gain access to it - I'm not sure about the rooms though.
It will be located just north of the Lakeside accommodation (just across Scarman Road from it actually) and will be between the Tennis Courts and Lakeside Apartments. It is estimated to be just over 15 minutes from the Students Union.
It will be £117 for 2012/2013 entry. And a 39 week let.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4545
Hi everyone.

I heard that neither Tocil or Lakeside will be available for first year undergrads starting this year. Is this true?

Thanks
Original post by jooj
Hi everyone.

I heard that neither Tocil or Lakeside will be available for first year undergrads starting this year. Is this true?

Thanks

Tocil definitely isn't. Not sure about Lakeside.

But all will be revealed in the next few weeks.
Original post by ttoby
Have a look at the first page of this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=338591 post 3 for Lakeside, post 4 for Sherbourne.

Ahh didn't see that there :redface: Thank you!
You don't get a choice - you can only apply to Rootes. You find out whether you are old or new when you get your accommodation offer.

As for old vs new. The first blocks, A-H, was built about 45 years ago, the others, J-P about 35-40 years ago. As for I block (international house) :iiam:

There are pics in the 4th post of this thread of both - but really there's no difference between them.

For example, A-C blocks have new kitchens for this year whereas other blocks might have older kitchens. To be honest, there has been enough time to refurbish all of Rootes many times over - so much so that you can't really say one is better than the other.

Original post by ttoby
It's two different styles of building within the same group of halls. When you apply, you would just put 'Rootes' as one of your choices and if you get it, they'll put you in either old or new. Usually you wouldn't make this choice yourself, although I suppose you could put down a preference in your personal description but there's no guarentee that they would follow it.

thank you!!!
Hi, I read on the first page that 'at most one can be a 30 week en-suite' But you can still apply for more than one 37, 39 or 50 week en-suites in addition, right? (I really want an en-suite!! :biggrin: )
Original post by Penguin2012
Hi, I read on the first page that 'at most one can be a 30 week en-suite' But you can still apply for more than one 37, 39 or 50 week en-suites in addition, right? (I really want an en-suite!! :biggrin: )

Yep. Only one of Jack Martin or Arthur Vick, and then as many as you want of the others. (At least this was how it was done last year.) Also be careful about the other en-suite halls as they get pretty expensive!
Guys, when I firm Warwick on UCAS, will they send me stuff about picking accommodation afterwards? How does that work? Sorry if it's a really nooby question that has already been answered :P
Original post by simoncino
Guys, when I firm Warwick on UCAS, will they send me stuff about picking accommodation afterwards? How does that work? Sorry if it's a really nooby question that has already been answered :P

Applications for accommodation are done online. They'll email you with a link when the application process opens, which will probably be in May.

You can view information about the halls now if you want: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/residences/
I am a little confused about this whole 30 vs 39 weeks let. Does it mean you have to move out during that time period? do they provide you with a place to move out your stuff to or do you have to take it all with you when you go home for break? if you are an international student, is 39-week let pretty much the only choice, since you wouldnt want to drag ****load of bags on the plane every break?
Oh and also for Benefactor they have both: double and single room. When you apply do you get to choose whether you want double or single?
Tocil definitely isn't. Not sure about Lakeside.

But all will be revealed in the next few weeks.

Definitely wont be available? Tocil wont be available for 1st year undergrads????!!!
Original post by needhelp1234
I am a little confused about this whole 30 vs 39 weeks let. Does it mean you have to move out during that time period? do they provide you with a place to move out your stuff to or do you have to take it all with you when you go home for break? if you are an international student, is 39-week let pretty much the only choice, since you wouldnt want to drag ****load of bags on the plane every break?

If you have a 30 week let, you HAVE to move ALL of your stuff out by the last Saturday of each term, and you can move back in on the first Saturday of the next term. You can book campus accommodation for the holiday if you're staying, but you still need to move all your stuff. If you do envisage spending your holidays on campus, then you kind of need a 39 week let!

If you're an international planning on going home every holiday, then there's a few options. The first would be to get a 39 week let and just leave your stuff there over the holidays - no hassle whatsoever. Second is to find a storage facility somewhere (student storage companies could be found with a quick google) though it can get expensive. The third option is to make friends with people that are in their own 39 week let, and see if they could be willing to keep all your stuff in their room while your away (though highly inconvenient for them if you have a lot). :tongue:
Reply 4557
I was wondering if I could get into the same campus and same house/floor as my friend, since I really want to live as close as possible with my acquaintances.
Reply 4558
Original post by ivory
I was wondering if I could get into the same campus and same house/floor as my friend, since I really want to live as close as possible with my acquaintances.

If I remember rightly, there is a box on the form where you can give the name of someone you want to live near to.
Original post by needhelp1234
Definitely wont be available? Tocil wont be available for 1st year undergrads????!!!

Yeah, Hurst is getting knocked down next year and that hall was for final year undergraduates, so the current first year space in Tocil has been given to final years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending