The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think the fact that my research was done for the practical purpose of solving a problem rather than supporting a political argument makes mine more reliable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climatic_Research_Unit_email_controversy
Original post by green.tea
I think the fact that my research was done for the practical purpose of solving a problem rather than supporting a political argument makes mine more reliable.

Peer reviewed research does not have an agenda.

What proof do you have that any of the research NYU provided was done to support a political argument? You are now just making things up.
Original post by Dupe
of course they shouldnt. a child's interest is more important than a couple's interest.

Oh right, because you went and asked every child that was going to be adopted into a gay home and they all outrightly declined any desire to? What makes you assume that every child wouldn't want gay parents?
It's naive people like you that have unfounded opinions against gays that make things like gay adoption an issue. Come back with an actual reason why gay people shouldn't adopt and then try and say something on the matter.
Reply 784
What logical reason is there that another mother solves the lack of father?

Role models do not necessarily have to be parents of the child, you have been told this numerous times.

Both parents being present for reasonable time should apply to everyone. Extra people are only required when on gender is missing.

This is clearly not true. I know people whose mother or father work in an extremely consuming job, yet still maintain a fantastic relationship with their family. Equally, I know people with poor relationships with their parents, despite spending a reasonable amount of time together.
Original post by WantCakeGetCake
Glad to see you're happy with who you are. That's all anyone can ask.

Perhaps a lack of a father figure didn't have the affect you thought it did?

I think it did because virtually all of my tearaway friends had single parents. The kids i used to call try-hards and annoy when i occasionally took interest and beat their test scores didnt.

That being said, why shouldn't they have to?

Because youd already have a male and female so provided they were good peeps willing to spend time they would clearly be able to.
Reply 786
A million per cent yes.

There are sooo many kids in care, I know this has been said loads on here, but having a family that loves you has to be SO much better than being in care.

If the kid says they don't want to, then that's another matter, but it shouldn't be the case that same-sex couples straight away.

Because youd already have a male and female so provided they were good peeps willing to spend time they would clearly be able to.

You don't seem to be understanding that mother and father are gender roles and gender is separate from sex. :colonhash:

But you still have to have role models outside of the primary care givers, that's why they look at a prospective parents family...

Also, what do you think of single people adopting, because that's allowed..?
The peer review process was one of the things called into question by climategate. Therefore I have logical reason to doubt research with a political bent when other research says different. Its a shame you cant tolerate a different opinion without hurling insults. Presumably you'll be sending someone along to purge me soon?
I am here to remind the opponents that religious beliefs are not a basis for political decisions, but scientific knowledge is. In secular countries, religious arguments in the context of politics should have no value.

It is in the interest of society and children to allow citizen's who are able to adopt to do so, regardless of the sex of their partner.
The only I could think of against it is leaving the child vulnerable to bullying.
The peer review process was one of the things called into question by climategate. Therefore I have logical reason to doubt research with a political bent when other research says different. Its a shame you cant tolerate a different opinion without hurling insults. Presumably you'll be sending someone along to purge me soon?

Research doesn't mean much if it hasn't been published in a peer reviewed journal.

Child development is my field, I've even contributed to research, there's no agenda I promise you.
Your making points i addressed pages back hoping that nobody reading this can be arsed reading back. Let me know when youve changed the record.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Rutgers University 2013
BA Psychology, Sociology, Critical Sexuality Studies, Social Justice

Bloody hell. :rolleyes:

Bet theres no bias in that subject, or sociology for that matter (even tho everyone knows there is).
Your making points i addressed pages back hoping that nobody reading this can be arsed reading back. Let me know when youve changed the record.

Oh so he should change the record but you won't?
Nothing you have is anywhere close to a good argument. The research you've presented supports the point of the pro-gay adoption argument. The 'criticisms' of the research presented by us do not hold in any way.
You're stuck in your confirmation bias and belief perseverance and until you ditch them there's really no point in arguing with someone who keeps going 'but it is this way because I said so!' when it is explained to you why it isn't the way you think it is.

Bet theres no bias in that subject, or sociology for that matter (even tho everyone knows there is).

I don't think the word critical means what you think it means.

LOL you really are ignorant aren't you? :rolleyes: Sociology is no more biased than any other field. And Critical sexuality studies has allowed me to see the progression and differences in sexuality in different cultures, time frames, etc. You should probably take some courses. You might actually learn something :colondollar:

That also doesn't show where what I say is biased or that the research and evidence I have provided is biased. You on the other hand won't even look at opposing research and shout bias. :rolleyes: And then you get upset when people say you are ignorant hahaha.

Latest

Trending

Trending