The Student Room Group

People who get A* in Eng Lit are smarter than the people who do the same in Science?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karousel
So with you on this. To be good at English you need to be good at English but to be good at Physics you need to be good at Maths, Science, logical thinking among others... the list is much longer. I hope that makes sense.

Before anyone gets mad and thinks I'm being a Physics elitist, I aced English at school but couldn't grasp Physics formulas because my Maths is so terrible.

To be honest, i got an A at Maths GCSE, cruised through it could have even got a A* if i did extra work etc, i tried my hand a maths Alevel for the first couple months at AS, as my 4th subject. I started In September and dropped out in December. I have experienced Maths A level and believe me it is hard, but the skills required to do well in it are being able absorb info.

I remember doing simultaneous equations at GCSE and there were like 10 steps to answering one of those, now if i miss out step 7, i mess up the question and don't get the full marks. If i can absorb info easily i can remember all the steps, thus achieve full marks on the question.

For me doing Maths and Science is like someone giving me a sheet of paper with 150 letters on it. Leaving me for 2 hours and then asking me to recite all of them in order, only a few minds could do it because it's so hard to absorb. But being able to absorb info is not a better quality than being able to analyse, structure answers etc in English.
Surely intelligence is making use of knowledge?

Science is more useful than English Lit.
Original post by The Doggfather
It's hard to compare the subjects, completely different and require different skills. It's why you'll rarely see someone doing something like English Lit, History, Chemistry, Maths! But I definitely think that Sciences are much harder, it's not just about memorising large pieces of information, there's alot of application too.

My boyfriend did Eng Lit, History, Chemistry and Bio aha.

I agree with you OP. From what I've seen on TSR there are more scientists here than artists!
Reply 43
Original post by audi_turbo
How come I'm on an A*?

Because you are clearly capable of thinking for yourself and applying knowledge rather than simply regurgitating it. Or you are the 1 in 100, either way.
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Pahahahahaa good one.

By the way, I did both english lit and sciences, and I can tell you for a fact that science is far more difficult and also far more respected.

Now go read a book or something

Haha, it's more respected and more difficult because less people have the skill set, but i don't think that automatically makes that skill set more prestigious than the ones needed for English.
Original post by DJMayes
The OP is effectively putting down Maths/Science as subjects on The Student Room, of all places, and yet has the veracity to suggest others are less intelligent?

OP, you haven't thought this one through.

Haha, regretting it now, 24 dislikes and counting.
Reply 46
Original post by Alevelsareboring
Hmmm, i understand you but disagree, the interpretations you get from a quote for example have to be relevant. You saying you have to make up random stuff is the reason why i think English Lit is harder, first you can't make up random stuff or you will get 0. Second being able to interpret a quote in several ways takes skill and talent. More talent than memorizing how to work out the square root or indices etc.

Here's the thing. Maths isn't about memorising how to work out square roots.

If you were relying on memorisation to get through your GCSE Maths, then that clearly shows that you didn't really understand it.

Maths (and indeed the rest of science) is based on thinking of ways to tackle problems. In fact, I would argue that at a high level science is much less about knowledge than is English! Of course, you need to know how to do things and perform basic operations, but at a fundamental level you are learning how to solve problems. With an arts subject, it is fundamentally more necessary to have a large bank of knowledge to draw on.

Obviously to excel in arts requires slightly different types of skills that to excel in science, but really, the top 100 English Lit students in the country will have developed their skills to a similar degree as the top 100 maths students will have developed theirs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by brendonbackflip
Bit silly to post on TSR, you were always doomed to get the negs from the medical students :h:

This isn't really an argument that will actually get a winner, because what you take as 'intelligence' is quite variable within people. Some people think being able to write, analyse, arguing and using your mind and imagination to a higher level is a really clever thing to do, and others think knowing why we exist on the planet and how everything works around us is the epitome of intelligence. It's learning such different skills, and if you're doing it at A-level and University, it's bound to be hard whichever one you do! Being capable at English is not going to make you intelligent in a completely different field, and the same in every single subject in existence.

Having said that, the difficulty and uses of Humanities is really under rated, especially on here.

I agree, i think your right, but humanities are regarded as eerey fairy subjects by medical students which pee's me off. My sister is one of them and thinks her B in Maths is much better than a potential A* in English Literature at A level. She thinks because most people she knows who did humanities did well it's therefore easy. I think that is ridiculous which is pretty much why i made this.

Your right though, they are all different but i stand by my argument English Literature students are SMARTER!
Original post by gemnomnom
My boyfriend did Eng Lit, History, Chemistry and Bio aha.

I agree with you OP. From what I've seen on TSR there are more scientists here than artists!

Finally a supporter, lets work together to take down all these frickin scientists!
Reply 49
To be honest, i got an A at Maths GCSE, cruised through it could have even got a A* if i did extra work etc, i tried my hand a maths Alevel for the first couple months at AS, as my 4th subject. I started In September and dropped out in December. I have experienced Maths A level and believe me it is hard, but the skills required to do well in it are being able absorb info.

I remember doing simultaneous equations at GCSE and there were like 10 steps to answering one of those, now if i miss out step 7, i mess up the question and don't get the full marks. If i can absorb info easily i can remember all the steps, thus achieve full marks on the question.

For me doing Maths and Science is like someone giving me a sheet of paper with 150 letters on it. Leaving me for 2 hours and then asking me to recite all of them in order, only a few minds could do it because it's so hard to absorb. But being able to absorb info is not a better quality than being able to analyse, structure answers etc in English.

I'm with you on that... I don't mean that the skills necessary for excellence in Physics/Maths/etc are necessarily better than those required of English, I just think that obtaining a good grade in English requires excellence in fewer 'outside' subjects than something such as Physics... and on the other hand, there are skills which go into English that don't relate to any one subject in particular but this is not to say they are of less value. I just think that in an academic environment, Physics as a whole is easier to measure because the individual elements are subjects in their own right. That's not to say it's right or fair, I just think that's maybe why some people devalue English and stand in awe of Physics.

This is only from my own experience so I don't want anybody to take offence, I know it's subjective and varies massively between each individual :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Everyone has a different way of being clever..there are a lot more subjects and choices over your everyday Maths, English and science..science may have set rules but they you need to know how to apply it...English is about being creative and having the power to analyse and understand it..whoever can do either is talented..but that doesn't go to say people who do things like art, design business etc aren't clever..you need an open mind for all of these...subjects do not define who are..it's how you define yourself through these subjects :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I think people good at science are smarter. To me smart means you are good at reasoning and coming to conclusions because that is useful for decisions. I cant imagine being unable to comprehend the things taught in literature whereas science and maths makes your brain hurt.
"people who does"... and this grammar comes from an English student. :s-smilie: what is the world coming to!

Personally, I may be rather biased, but I think that sciences are far harder. In English GCSE, all we did was learn key points to make about certain quotes in the book and themes to talk about - essentially all we had to do was memorise them. Yes, there are skills involved in structuring the essay and writing down the correct quotes with a relevant analysis. However, I'm sure the authors of the books/ poems never thought of all the bizarre points we were making, and English struck me as a little pointless - why couldn't the author have written what he was thinking about and trying to imply in the book/ poem? It would have saved a lot of effort!
Science requires a proper understanding of more concrete facts and ideas - and requires you to apply your knowledge to different situations, analyse data and use this to come to well balanced and supported conclusions, and completely understand what is going on - you can't memorise science, as it's infinite. However, understanding rules, equations, and concepts allows the scientist to understand exactly what is happening in a reaction, which you cannot see with the naked eye. This understanding requires intelligence and dedication - whereas English lit can be learnt by memorising points and essay structures. Also, science has a few more practical applications (e.g. medicine).
Reply 53
I agree, i think your right, but humanities are regarded as eerey fairy subjects by medical students which pee's me off. My sister is one of them and thinks her B in Maths is much better than a potential A* in English Literature at A level. She thinks because most people she knows who did humanities did well it's therefore easy. I think that is ridiculous which is pretty much why i made this.

You're right though, they are all different but I stand by my argument English Literature students are SMARTER!

You mean your argument which has no evidence behind it? Not even anecdotal so far...

So far you have shown a distinct lack of ability to form a coherent or structured argument.

Firstly, how do you define intelligence? Well the answer to that is, you essentially can't (at least not perfectly), so you're argument has already fallen at the first hurdle.

Secondly, you haven't done anything to test this hypothesis. Have you looked at the science syllabuses in detail at A Level and compared the amounts of understanding required for different subjects? I very much doubt you've done anything of the sort (based mainly on your outlandish statements that physics is purely about 'memorising facts').

In reality, it is often beneficial to have studied both sides of the academic spectrum.
Reply 54

wtf??

A Level Maths requires NO memorising at all!! NONE! just having certain skills. Solving simultaneous equations requires you to use logic to form steps. The fact that you had to carefully memorise every step demonstrates that you didn't really understand. For example, I never needed to memorise the steps because I used a combination of logic and past experience in doing simultaneous equations to complete the exercise.

Think of how naturally analysing a sentence might come to you. You won't have known how to do it originally, but with some guidance you quickly learnt. For some people that might require lots of memorisation. Clearly not doing science was the right decision for you. Fine. Good for you for making the right personal choice.
(edited 11 years ago)
You're probably touting this idea in the wrong place, I've noticed that TSR is full of maths and science oriented people. In a way, I do agree with the points you have made, but I feel that the subjects are so different, you can't class them in the same way, if you know what I mean. For example, I'm not carrying on maths or science above GCSE, as all I did was memorise the revision guide. At the moment I know what a plasmolysed cell is but in six months, I'll have no idea. However I'll always know how to write a good essay, it's always come naturally, just as maths and science come naturally to some.
Who else agrees? I was having this argument with a couple people; me and my friend do writing subjects and are predicted A/A*'s and the people who we were debating with are Science/Maths students predicted the same.

I think subjects like Maths and Science especially are synoptic, it's more to do with being able to remember things like atoms and molecules than raw talent. Maths is a lil different because you have to be smart to understand mathematical concepts etc, but overall i think it's synoptic. I think if your mind can absorb loads of knowledge easily then you will excel at both subjects.

English Literature on the other hand takes raw talent, English students who do well have the ability to interpret a piece of Literature in numerous ways, which takes skill. It's not just knowing what the makes an atom or what x + y is which can be learned through intense revision. It's more to do with raw talent, English Students writing is stylized, cohesive and structured, it takes skill to be able to structure a piece of writing and analyse texts etc.

I dunno, that's just what i think, i'm not saying it's right so don't go all crazy on me, i just want opinions.

As someone who did maths, physics and English I'd say it just requires different skills. Maths and physics are difficult in terms of competence, relatively easy in terms of performance. English is the reverse. What I mean by competence is understanding the concepts and learning the material in the first place, and what I mean by performance is the amount of actual thinking required in the exam. You can do a physics or maths exam tired: not so easy with an English paper; you really have to be on the ball.

And this isn't to say that English doesn't require a lot of work. You have to understand the texts inside out. But I don't think that absorbing the themes and memorising chunks of text to quote is as difficult conceptually as some of the stuff you do in maths and physics classes.

I speak only of my own experience.
LOL seriously? science subjects will just always be much harder because you just can't memorise.
Original post by Sternumator
I think people good at science are smarter. To me smart means you are good at reasoning and coming to conclusions because that is useful for decisions. I cant imagine being unable to comprehend the things taught in literature whereas science and maths makes your brain hurt.

Yeah, but can they write a decent essay under time pressure? Not merely by virtue of the skills required to complete science A-levels, they can't. See my above comment about competence and performance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
I would say the sciences are harder.You have to be able to understand and apply your knowledge, and to top it off there is usually only one correct answer that you HAVE to reach to get the marks. I found with my personal experience of Eng. Lit. you could kind of make something up, as long as it sounded original, and get credited marks for it, no matter how obscure. I'm not saying that Eng. lit is easy though, I just think it is comparatively easier than the sciences and maths. This is coming from a scientist though :P

Quick Reply

Latest