The Student Room Group

The "waiting for news is driving me crazy" uberthread 2012-13

***the 2013-14 thread is here.***

Sent off your application? Checking Track all times of day and night? This thread is for you :smile:

Some FAQ:

How long before UCAS sends me my Welcome letter?
Usually within a few days. Do check it and make sure it's accurate as you won't be able to change any of your choices (or correct any mistakes, eg wrong course code) after 7 days.

How soon can I log in to Track?
Once your status shows that UCAS is processing your application, you should be able to get in to Track a couple of days later. Use the same ID and password as you did for Apply. If you get stuck try the 'forgot password' route.

When does Track update?
Track updates at any time, even at weekends, when the unis send through decisions, and this is supposed to generate an email notification to you. See this thread for examples of how randomly timed these can be. Nevertheless, it is possible to log in and find a decision you haven't received the 'Your Track has Updated' email for.

How long before I hear anything?
Nobody can say. Some people get offers within 48 hours; others wait for weeks or months without hearing anything, not even an acknowledgement. Where used (many unis and/or courses don't send them) acknowledgements are generated automatically and their timing and content is of no significance whatsoever.

By the way, don't forget to keep an eye on those spam folders :smile:

Someone else has got an offer for the same course/uni that I've applied for, but I haven't heard anything yet. Does that mean I'm certain to be rejected?
No.

Will universities be making decisions over Christmas/New Year or during the Easter Holidays?
The university admissions systems don't shut down completely during the holidays, but of course academics (ie admissions tutors) do take leave at these times, so although decisions will still come through it's likely to be at a slower rate than during term time. There is huge variation by uni and by department, so it's impossible to say what might happen in a specific case.

In practice, you can expect that nothing much, if anything, will happen for the two weeks over Christmas/New Year, and for the two weeks around Easter (which is at the end of March in 2013). Also, don't forget that snail mail can be drastically held up over Christmas.

When is the latest that unis can send through a decision on my application?
UCAS asks universities to make decisions on applicants who met the 15 January deadline by 31 March, but not all of them achieve this and it's little more than a polite request rather than a deadline. The absolute deadline for universities to make decisions on applicants who applied on or before 15th January 2013 is 9th May. At this point UCAS will automatically enter an 'unsuccessful' decision on Track if the university has not posted its own decision by then.

If you applied after 15th January but before 30th June, unis have until 18th July to make a decision on your application, after which UCAS will enter 'unsuccessful' if a uni has not responded.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The suspense is killing me ^_^ I just want one offer to heighten my confidence in my application. I applied wholly to unis asking for grades higher than what I attained. I applied with extenuating circumstances but most unis don't explicitly have forms for people in my situation. *Sigh*
My application has been sent to ucas... now just waiting fingers crossed for news :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I just want one offer and then I don't care when the rest come through! :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Jam'
The suspense is killing me ^_^ I just want one offer to heighten my confidence in my application. I applied wholly to unis asking for grades higher than what I attained. I applied with extenuating circumstances but most unis don't explicitly have forms for people in my situation. *Sigh*

Please let us know how u get on :smile: x
Reply 5
Original post by Janey142
Please let us know how u get on :smile: x

Still waiting :/ but ill let you know when I'm updated :smile:

How are you getting on?
Original post by Jam'

I also have extenuating circumstances, but I don't know how to go about including this in my application. Would you mind giving me a few tips on how to talk about it without making it sound like a sob story?
Reply 7
Original post by lowerthankirsti
I also have extenuating circumstances, but I don't know how to go about including this in my application. Would you mind giving me a few tips on how to talk about it without making it sound like a sob story?

It was in my reference that the bulk of my circumstances were mentioned. My PS had two sentences briefly explaining the main barriers I had to overcome (living alone from 16 without any support until I turned 18). The rest was about my love for Maths xD (the subject in applying for).

Try to keep the extenuating circumstances bit short and get your referee to explain any difficulties :smile:

edit: this seems to have worked. I have an interview for Cambridge :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
plymouth emailed 2 days after i sent in my application, aknowledging my application, saying theyll reply within 2 weeks...

bucks uni sent an aknowledgment letter that came on saturday...

i keep checking my phone for gmail emails and also on track, just in case they forgot to email me or something....

tomorrow itll be 1 week since applying to all unis!!!! :frown:
Original post by Jam'
It was in my reference that the bulk of my circumstances were mentioned. My PS had two sentences briefly explaining the main barriers I had to overcome (living alone from 16 without any support until I turned 18). The rest was about my love for Maths xD (the subject in applying for).

Try to keep the extenuating circumstances bit short and get your referee to explain any difficulties :smile:

Thank you! My situation had an extreme effect on my AS results (my brother passed away in March, just before exams and in the midst of coursework deadlines.) I was planning on not mentioning it at all, as I know my referee will be going into more detail, but I've been advised otherwise. A few lines is probably the best way to go about it!
Reply 10
Original post by megfashion
plymouth emailed 2 days after i sent in my application, aknowledging my application, saying theyll reply within 2 weeks...

bucks uni sent an aknowledgment letter that came on saturday...

i keep checking my phone for gmail emails and also on track, just in case they forgot to email me or something....

tomorrow itll be 1 week since applying to all unis!!!! :frown:

Plymouth told me they'd give me a response within 2 weeks too. My application was processed on the 3rd and Plymouth emailed me the day after acknowledging that they'd received my application, so hopefully they'll make me an offer (or more likely inform me that I've been rejected either tomorrow or the day after). :biggrin:
Original post by JA1994
Plymouth told me they'd give me a response within 2 weeks too. My application was processed on the 3rd and Plymouth emailed me the day after acknowledging that they'd received my application, so hopefully they'll make me an offer (or more likely inform me that I've been rejected either tomorrow or the day after). :biggrin:

awesomes :biggrin: i have a week and 1 day to wait :frown:

what have you applied for / where else are you applying?

plymouth is a lovely place... lots of nightlife according to the boyfriend haha
Reply 12
awesomes :biggrin: i have a week and 1 day to wait :frown:

what have you applied for / where else are you applying?

plymouth is a lovely place... lots of nightlife according to the boyfriend haha

I'll post here again when they do get back to me, whether its an offer or a rejection. :tongue: I hope they do keep to their word and reply within 2 weeks, guess I'll find out soon!

I've applied to do International Relations with Politics at Plymouth. My other choices are Westminster, Swansea, Nottingham Trent, and Salford - all for Politics.

I've only been to Plymouth once but yeah its a really nice city, and you can't get a more beautiful location than between Devon and Cornwall!
I am so nervous :s my mates already got some offers :s I feel like I will not get any :s
I've sent my application on monday and still haven't got any answers from universities/ the letter from ucas.
As I live on the continent, it might take a bit longer, but I'm starting to PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 15
Application was sent to the Universities on Monday - got an email from Plymouth Uni this morning saying they have received it and will get back to me in 2 weeks - fingers crossed :smile:
Original post by hm87
Application was sent to the Universities on Monday - got an email from Plymouth Uni this morning saying they have received it and will get back to me in 2 weeks - fingers crossed :smile:

Mine took 11 days, was a huge suprise! Plymouth is a really good uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by hm87

They said that to me too but i'm still waiting for their decision and its been 3 weeks. :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by JA1994
They said that to me too but i'm still waiting for their decision and its been 3 weeks. :frown:

This morning I was rather content with that email thinking I won't have to wait long - but my tutor today brought be back down to earth - to quote "I wouldn't hole your breath, it can take longer" - but at the moment I am just happy that my UCAS app is all done - I can just focus on my access course now :smile:
Reply 19
Mine took 11 days, was a huge suprise! Plymouth is a really good uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! What have you chosen to study there? Plymouth is my home town so I will be over the mood if they offer me a place there :smile:

Latest