The Student Room Group

The School For Scandal help!!!!

I've searched the forum and cant find any useful notes on this book, if anyone can offer any notes or something that would help i'd very much appreciate it.

The play does seem strightforward but the techniques used by Sheridan e.g. Sarcasm, Irony are ones that confuse me and i never have much to write about them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone? surely a couple of you must be sitting this paper in a couple of weeks, any help appreciated!
Reply 2
I have to say that I'm also a little baffled with this play.

If anyone has any information regarding characters, themes etc from the play it would be brilliant if you could help.
Thanks
Reply 3
Okay this is a plea.
The teaching that I'm receiving is minimal, especially concerning this play. I'm needing any help that anyone can offer, what to revise etc as the exam is in less than a month and I'm feeling extremely unprepared. Please...
Reply 4
I know exactly how you feel. I'm doing it as part of a distance learning course and the help there hasn't been too good either. In fact, I've chosen to go on to Unit 4 in this AS year rather than do Unit 3! That's how bad I feel about the play. I'm a bit baffled about Beowulf too! I haven't been able to find a production/video to try and help fix it into my mind either!
Is there anyone out there doing this play?:confused:
Im also doing School For Scandal at AS...

ask me a queston and i'll give it a go... :]

xx
Reply 6
hiya,
Just anything to basically bring up in an examination question. Themes etc. Bit vague I'm sorry.
Lol don't say sorry.

Well sifrstly, to get a decent mark, its highly import to keep relating back to context, and write about <i>why</i> certain things are in the novel. For example, Sheridan was, in his later life, an MP and fought greatly for womens rights. Sheridans views on women are portrayed in numerous places throughout the play, for example during Lady Teazles argument with Sir Peter (not sure which scene... sorry... its fairly early on though...), where he presents Lady Teazle as extremely quick witted and intelligent, more so than the male in the scene (who, at the time, would have been classed as mroe important) ....

S.P 'you had no taste when you married me....'

Lady Teazle turns this around agaisnt him, and numerous other examples of this are seen throughout the play.

Also relating to context is the constant reminder of money. This can be seen in character names, such as 'Mr Premium', in various scenes there are numerous words relating to money slipped into normal conversations (re-read the book, highlight them, you'll be suprised how many there are). This is relating to the fact that Sheridan was cut off from his family, meaning he had no money from them and had to work out a living for himself.

Another context point is that throughout the play Charles is fighting to be with Maria, his true love. Sheridan always speaks fondly of these tow characters, and I believe that this is likely to be because the characters are a reminder of Sheridans past, who ran away from home at an early age to lve in France and marry his tru love <3

(another good example to slip in to get a mark for context is about the prologue... it was written by a good friend of Sheridans, he was a very popular play writer at the time, and by having him write the prologue means that more people are likely to be interested and come and see the play. This is for 2 reasons... 1) he may have wanted to help Sheridan, his friend, out :} 2) the most likely reason... He partly owned the building where the play was being shown, and wanted toa ttract more people, therefroe making more money : p )

Also relating to context is the constant reminder of money. This can be seen in character names, such as 'Mr Premium', in various scenes there are numerous words relating to money slipped into normal conversations (re-read the book, highlight them, you'll be suprised how many there are). This is relating to the fact that Sheridan was cut off from his family, meaning he had no money from them and had to work out a living for himself.

Another context point is that throughout the play Charles is fighting to be with Maria, his true love. Sheridan always speaks fondly of these tow characters, and I believe that this is likely to be because the characters are a reminder of Sheridans past, who ran away from home at an early age to lve in France and marry his tru love <3

________________________________________________________________-

Main themes in the book... money, sex, relationships, generations, humour, scandal
... you should be prepared for a question on any one of these... get practisicing :]

... I'll post some more nots on themes and characters in detail later... :]... atm Im half way through a spies practise paper lol...

x
Reply 8
A very good post there, but please do remember that the examiner is not looking for a history essay, or a biography of Sheridan's life. In fact, I don't think I mentioned a single thing about his life in my essay and it was fine.

Here's a list of the main themes which I revised:
Reality and appearance, including hypocrisy, manners/artificiality, masks, disguises and hiding places and sentiment
Gossip
Health and sickness
Judging, testing and assessing
Money
Name and reputation
Power
Satire
Society
The title of the play
Town and country
Youth and age

The main one you have to mention, never mind what the subject, is reality and appearance - it's the main focus of the play. For instance, last year I answered a context question on Act 1 Scene 2 I think it was, and I focused most of my answer around the various kinds of deception happening in that scene.

If anyone's got any specific questions about the play or practice essays they'd like an opinion on, I'm very happy to help.
I have a question ...

No matter what the question, hypocrisy, generations, women's roles ect ect... Is there any definite structure of the essay that you'd reccomend follwing?
Reply 10
There sure is. In fact, I have an essay plan for any essay, no matter what the text is! I wrote the following in answer to a query on this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=333792

Ywiss
1. Read the question three billion times.

2. Try and break it down into separate parts. This will help you get a structure for your question. E.g. if the question is "Analyse the presentation and importance of Uncle Peter in Frayn's "Spies"", then you know you have to split your essay into two parts: presentation and importance.

3. Think of 4 or 5 key ideas and write them down.

4. Try and order the ideas so that your strongest idea is at the beginning, then your 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc, and finally your 2nd strongest at the end. This is to ensure that your essay ends with a bang, but that you've also got your strongest idea in there should you happen to run out of time.

5. Now it's time to write your introduction. It's a good idea to think of a rough outline for how you're going to introduce your essay before the exam actually starts. Try and sum up the novel/play/poem in a couple of sentences. Then, basically say how brilliant the question is. If it's a theme, say how wonderful a theme it is, because it has such great importance in the novel/play/poem. If it's a character, he or she is also very important. If an extract, how this extract is so important because it introduces/explores/summarises (depending on whether it's taken from the beginning/middle/end) the main themes of the text/what the author is trying to say.

6. Then begin each paragraph with an opening sentence. Something like, "The author develops the theme of blah through striking imagery."

7. Now, recite after me: Make a point, prove the point (through a quotation), relate the point to the question. Repeat.

8. At the end of the paragraph, simply summarise what you've been saying in that paragraph: "In this way, it can be seen that the theme of blah is developed through the powerful images of birds and trees."

9. Now, rinse and repeat for your other four or five points.

10. Then for your conclusion, sum up by saying something like "Therefore this theme is very important, as it illuminates blah, contributes to blah, and helps to develop several key ideas." Finally, try and say something general about the whole text - something like, "The theme of blah makes the text very evocative and powerful."

11. Put down your pen. Smile smugly.

:biggrin:

Hope this helps!
xxx
Ywiss
There sure is. In fact, I have an essay plan for any essay, no matter what the text is! I wrote the following in answer to a query on this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=333792

Hope this helps!
xxx

Rawr..!

Thankyou v much :]
Reply 12
If anyone can help me out this i'd really appreciate it:
Explore the ways in which Sheridan presents the gap between different generations in the eighteenth century.

I've pointed out:
Sir Oliver and his two nephews
Lady Teazle and Sir Peter
Marias wish to marry against Sir Peters wishes

Not sure where to go from there...
Reply 13
Just thought I'd bring this thread in to light.
rosie86uk
If anyone can help me out this i'd really appreciate it:
Explore the ways in which Sheridan presents the gap between different generations in the eighteenth century.

I've pointed out:
Sir Oliver and his two nephews
Lady Teazle and Sir Peter
Marias wish to marry against Sir Peters wishes

Not sure where to go from there...

This question came up in January and is therefore extremely unlikely to come up on Friday :]

One of the main points in the gop of the generations, however, is to show strong contrasts and reinforce the idea of leaving the old life behind, and begging afres h - ie Maria contrasted to Lady Tezle

Try and put gerenations to each of the following points...

Character
Impact
Structure
Style
Context
Themes
Reply 15
Hey, has anyone got any good quotes for each character. Im trying to write at least 5 good quotes and some page references for each of the characters:

Sir oliver,
Joesph,
Charles,
Candour,
Sir and Lady Teazle,
Crabtree and Backbite, (not as much bothered about these 2)
Rowley
Maria,
Sneerwell
Snake

If anyones got some good ones please share. cheers
Reply 16
hey im new here n just revisin for english as well. mhmmm a bit late coz i just started today lol but never mind
well coz of the quotes:
snake: p112 "... and if it were once known that I had been betrayed into an honest action, I should lose every friend I have in the world." - quite apposite quote coz it summarizes the society they are living in- although one scandal might end there are loads of others going on and no one can take the liberty to appear honest and looses his "good" reputation. It also appears that honesty is not only disliked but simply not "modern" nor appropiate! the theme of reality and appearance etc (mentioned before) links here with friendship and that at that time real friendships hardly existed and one put a mask on even in front of them.
p22 "...even when they happen to have a little truth on their side to support it." well its at the beginning and shows the audience that they wont hear much truth on stage and that most of the plots are made up without even a trace of truth in it.

well snake just appears twice i think so cant think of any other quote by him at the mo. if im wrong plz tell me!
Reply 17
since i dunno if everythings alryt from the one above i just keep writin:biggrin:
so, Lady Sneerwell: p22 "wounded myself in the early part of my life by the envenomed tongue of slander, I confess I have since known no pleasure equal to the reducing others to the level of my own injured reputation." most importantly is prob that shes the only 3dimensional character because of that: she actually gives the audience a slight clue why shes a "member" of the school for scandal and enjoys making things up and destroying smeones elses reputation because hers was when she was younger (she appearently recovered from that. it could therefore show that its like a circle: you cant break out. if your reputation is destroyed u have to destroy someone elses in order to get sme status back...)
p24 "you are going to be moral, and forget that you are among friends." very very entertaining and the audience must be extremely amused. but it also shows that sneerwell n joseph obviously do have smething like trust between them or at least they need eachother for a certain time to put their individual plans into action. furthermore it shows first characteristics of joseph and his always used sentiments- only sneerwell realises that they are false and a mask put on for different people in different situations in order to appear moral. but she knows him good enough therefore they are not necessary and a waste of time.
p33 "...I'll go and plot mischief, and you shall study sentiment" shows again that she seems to be mainly occupied with making new plots and stories up(historical context: rich women: often bored and nothing to do but talking about gossip and making new things up. no other entertainment)
furthermore during the play she is conspicously reserved in conversations with other characters and just comments once in a while. but with that she usually stirrs up the tension and encourages people to tell their stories.
p41 one example: "Oh, surely she is a pretty woman." with that she starts a new conversation and back stabbing about this particular woman because appearently everyones else considers her as ugly etc and later on says "better than the careless manner in which the widow Ochre chalks her wrinkles." therefore gives it another direction again to another person.
encouragment for Lady Teazle: "very well, Lady Teazle; I see you can be a little severe." p44 "Go; go; your are a couple of provoking toads." etc there are quite a few of them at the beginning...
"I am more interested in this affair than they imagine, and must have better information. (aside) shows again her deep personal interest in this certain plot going on. Scene 3 with her and joseph shows again why- coz she had a crush on Charles.

hope it helped u a bit:confused: could someones please tell me if im completely wrong with these things? :biggrin:
Reply 18
hey people!! i need serious help and i gotta know if the things ive written before are alryt or not!! help!!!!
Reply 19
Hi, I'm just reading through it. It's a little confusing on my eyes as everything is squished together but from what I've read so far you seem to be on the right lines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending