The Student Room Group

Oxford Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
eve_22
I cant seem to find it, although I did go on that page...any further directions?please?pretty please?:smile:

There is a link at the bottom of the page to http://courses.learning.ox.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=11. Follow the link, then follow the instructions to register to access the interview training material provided for Oxford tutors.

As is pointed out in the article I originally linked to, and on this page, anyone is allowed to register to view the training material. Once you have registered and logged in you can access the entire training course, which includes several videos from law interviews. You'll have to poke around a bit to find the videos amongst all the other training material.
mja
There is a link at the bottom of the page to http://courses.learning.ox.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=11. Follow the link, then follow the instructions to register to access the interview training material provided for Oxford tutors.

As is pointed out in the article I originally linked to, and on this page, anyone is allowed to register to view the training material. Once you have registered and logged in you can access the entire training course, which includes several videos from law interviews. You'll have to poke around a bit to find the videos amongst all the other training material.

All I can see is :

'This course is not enrollable at the moment' whenever I click on anything...:confused:
Silvertongue
All I can see is :

'This course is not enrollable at the moment' whenever I click on anything...:confused:

Me too! :s-smilie:
Reply 43
Ah, it seems to be down for maintenance at the moment. It should be available again soon.
eve_22
Hi,

I have just been watching the mock interview video on cambridge university website and was wandering whether the format of interview is usually similar at oxford?

I have been told that they vary, however, most likely they are going to ask you to analyse a legal text and try and engage you into a discussion...

I also heard of some really daunting questions that the tend to ask, like :

are the british obsessed with paedophilia?
is ethnicity race?
in a society of angels, do you need laws?
and etc.

what do you all think about this?

it makes me rather worried (if i get invited to one of course)...not because i might not know the correct answer, because really there isnt one as such...but just that thought of getting stuck and not being able to think of a convincing argument at that particular moment...

how are the rest of you feeling?

So was it like what you originally thought? :p:

And CONGRATS on your offer!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 45
Hi,

sorry if it does not fit in here, but I could not find any other section on this forum that is covering law at oxford and has not been written years ago, so I thought I may ask some of you who applied this year or are already studying law at oxford of what the whole process was like.

Im very torn at the moment, since I applied for PPS at Cambridge this year but finally got rejected :frown:

I would always have gone for law if I studied here in Switzerland, so that is not new, and it was probably the best thing to happen to get rejected (although of course it hurts in the beginning). But I think that law probably suits me better, and I really loved Oxford when I visited, so now Im not sure wether I should take a gap year and reapply in Oxford, or wether I should just start studying law here in Switzerland and apply for a Master's degree or something.

I would be very grateful if anyone could give me any advice to what they are looking for (is it true that you need no knowledge of law at all? I have studied Swiss law a bit, but absolutely nothing from the UK law). Also, do they expect you to have read many 'introduction to law, etc' books, or rather news that is related to law?

Many thanks in advance.
Reply 46
oh and also, which colleges are particularly good for law?

by the way: congrats to all that got offers :smile: well done!
I think all colleges do law, so don't base your decision on that-whatever anyone tells you (i.e. this college is really good for law!) is probably rubbish. In terms of law interviews, you are not expected to know anything in depth about the law, but it is a good idea to have a general idea of what the law actually is, the effects it has on society, the purposes behind law. They don't expect you to know detail of how the law works; they are more likely to ask you questions about morality, law and society etc. They won't ask you factual based questions. Anytime they do ask you about the law, all of the answers can be gleaned from your legal extract (i.e. if the extract deals with a certain statute, they may then ask you to apply that statute to a series of scenarios).

Saying that, my law tutor knew I did A-level law and so we got into a bit of a discussion about that. But it never got to the stage where I was expected to know much factual detail.

I hope that helps:smile:
hey does anyone know when they publish the law mods results? also if they post the individual grades for each module or do we just get pass or fail?

cheers
Reply 49
LiveFastDieYoung
hey does anyone know when they publish the law mods results? also if they post the individual grades for each module or do we just get pass or fail?

cheers

Hey,

I think the results are released by the Exam Schools on 7th April. They'll only publish a list saying whether you've got a Distinction, Pass or Fail though.

Your tutors will have all of the individuals marks sent to them - apparently mine is emailing people from my college on the day to let us know.

Hope this helps!
Reply 50
In approximately one year's time I will be worrying about these too, so I just wanted to wish you guys good luck and hope that you are all happy with your results :smile:
Reply 51
If you've agreed to have your name published (this is the default - you can log onto Student Self Service and change that), then your name will appear on the main list if you've passed, with a 'D' next to the name if you've got a distinction.

If you've only passed in one or two of the papers, it will say so beneath the main list of passes - something like 'Names of Candidates who in Hilary Term 2009 have satisfied the Moderators in Law Moderations in one subject.', and it will show the paper(s) you have satisfied.

If you've failed, or you've excluded your name from the list, your name won't appear.

Hope that helps!
HenryT
LiveFastDieYoung

cheers

Yep, what everyone's said so far is totally correct. My tutors actually told me my breakdown before the candidate list was posted on the internet, which was strange, but at least I didn't sit there wondering if I'd gotten less than a 2.1! Good luck :smile:

EDIT: Oh, and then you get a stupid piece of paper in the post about a week later, which literally says your name and distinction, pass or fail. Why? I don't know :s
Reply 53
henryt
If you've agreed to have your name published (this is the default - you can log onto Student Self Service and change that), then your name will appear on the main list if you've passed, with a 'D' next to the name if you've got a distinction.

If you've only passed in one or two of the papers, it will say so beneath the main list of passes - something like 'Names of Candidates who in Hilary Term 2009 have satisfied the Moderators in Law Moderations in one subject.', and it will show the paper(s) you have satisfied.

If you've failed, or you've excluded your name from the list, your name won't appear.

Hope that helps!
HenryT

How do we get log onto student self service? I did get some papers about it at the beginning of the year but I've lost them. Is the password and username the same as it is for the email system?
Reply 54
No. You need the 6 digit number on your Bodcard for login, some password which you would've (hopefully!) personalised. I think https://www.studentsystem.ox.ac.uk/ is the website, and you can change the setting as to whether you release the result on the list on the 'My Profile' (or something similar) tab, though, it might not affect it at this point. I would've thought a provisional list would've been drawn up by now, just ready to be confirmed at the Moderators' meeting...
by the way do they rank them on the published list or is it alphabetical or some such?

:biggrin:
LiveFastDieYoung
by the way do they rank them on the published list or is it alphabetical or some such?

:biggrin:

Alphabetical on the list! I hear some subjects release where you were ranked according to your marks to your tutor, but mine certainly didn't tell me.
Reply 57
Just in case anybody isn't aware yet, the pass list has now been published on the Exam Schools website :smile:
lol yea got mine, bloody tutor still hasnt emailed my scores though :frown: dammit

so i know i got between 40 and 69 yey lol
Reply 59
dan123
Just in case anybody isn't aware yet, the pass list has now been published on the Exam Schools website :smile:

Still haven't got the faintest idea how to get on to it though ... I registered for a Remote Access account and everything, but still nothing. :no:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending