The Student Room Group

Itchy Contraceptive Implant

I've had the implanon implant since september/october. Quite often I find the are that it is in is itchy Especially in the mornings and now I woke up this morning and it is SO SO itchy! I'm trying really hard to not scratch it and concentrate on something else but I just want to have a crazy scratch at it! The spot that they inserted the implant is raised up in a lump and white.
I'm just wondering if this is normal? Does anyone else with an implant get this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is either healing, which can be an itchy process but shouldn't take too long, or it is infected, in which case you need to go back and get them to look at it.
Reply 2
Yeah if you've had it in for so long and your body isn't used to it then I would get it checked at - mines never been itchy.
Reply 3
Its been too long for it to still be healing, get to your gp this week and get them to have a look.
Mine itches too sometimes, and I've had it in the same amount of time... I hope its ok lol! I've got a little white scar too :smile:

EDIT: Oh...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
I've had the implant for nearly two years now. and mine's soooo itchy. especilly at night. i feel like ripping my arm off. then i get the same white lump and my arm goes all warm.
went to the docs about continous headaches and as i was putting my coat back on he got a glimpse of it and told me to go back to the clinic, as it shouldnt look like that, and shouldnt be itching so much after 2 years. theres always a red line down my arm is aswell with the implant underneath.
I'm not sure whether to go back to the clinic, because i dont no whether its gonna be worth it x
Reply 6
Original post by jodiemcfc
I've had the implant for nearly two years now. and mine's soooo itchy. especilly at night. i feel like ripping my arm off. then i get the same white lump and my arm goes all warm.
went to the docs about continous headaches and as i was putting my coat back on he got a glimpse of it and told me to go back to the clinic, as it shouldnt look like that, and shouldnt be itching so much after 2 years. theres always a red line down my arm is aswell with the implant underneath.
I'm not sure whether to go back to the clinic, because i dont no whether its gonna be worth it x

Thta red line sounds a bit like an infection, please go back to your GP asap.
I just had implant replaced after three years and just had an extremely itchy spell like after the first one was put in. The first time I had implant put in it was so itchy and they thought I got an infection so I had antibiotics but it was itchy for months and months on and off and gradually reduced.
Reply 8
hi this is the second implany ive had put in but in a slightly different place not on the muscle more near the elbow joint and its so itchy! I don't ever remember it being itchy befor ehope it stops coz driving me mad!
I've had mine for about the same time as you and yes sometimes scars are itchy don't worry about the little white lump that's just the scar and it won't be infected cause it would be warm and red and sore, mine itches too and my doctor said it was just hormones so nothing to worry about x
I've got the implant and it's really itchy also, I haven't had a lump come up but I went to the doctors to get advise about it they said I had a slight reaction to the fluid that they put in your arm to numb it but maybe this could be the reason for your reaction also
I've had the implant in 3 times now and this is the first time in my right arm! It's so so so so itchy I want to itch my arm off if this ok
At first it should be somewhat itchy because of the healing process but it should only last a few days . maybe even a week . but if it continues then the problem must be internal . you should check it out with your medical provider because worst case scenario it's infected and needs to be removed and treated
Reply 13
Is it meant to move as I've had mine for a day and it's moved a bit closer to the hole? I'm not sure if that is right? Scared it's going to get lots in my body?
I've just woke up with severe itchy arm where impact is inserted, really hot and big white lump on my arm very itchy is this normal for my implant?
you are probably having a reaction and need to go to your doctor asap. I have had 8 surgeries altogether and had the implant put in my arm. I have only had one surgery where it because red hot and really itchy, the little white lump, yeah that's probably a blister from the reaction, don't pik at it or it will make it worse, cover it with a 1x1 sterile pad and go to the doctor. hope this helps!
Reply 16
Its a known side affect to have a lump that itches. Very common in the morning or when laying down. Its even on their website. You don't need to go to the doctor unless its red and inflamed like any other infection would be.Also the lump usually lasts 5-30 minutes. But it always goes away, perfectly normal. :smile:This is my 3rd implanon and I've always had this happen since my first one 8 years ago
I've had mine since august last year and mines is the same, I had an allergic reaction to mine and since then it's been itchy and I want to rip it out my arm at points
Reply 18
Hi I think I have a lump on mine as well I thought it was my implant but now it isn't so sore I can touch it and feel it better. Do I have to be worried what did your Doctors's say?
Has anyone here had the implant removed and still had this prob? I got rid of mine as soon as it started giving me constant head aches and now there is a little bubble where is use to be and its been like this for over a year now, still itchy even though there should be nothing there.

Quick Reply

Latest