The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Interview

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Got my offer, and a letter saying I was one of the best candidates based on interview and all that.
Do they just say that to everybody?
University of York
York
I got one of those too with an offer on Friday, wonder how many they send out.
Reply 22
Congratulations you two! No, only a few people get the letter.
Original post by RHod
Congratulations you two! No, only a few people get the letter.

Thanks! Are you going this year then?
Reply 24
Original post by *whatkatiedidnext*
Thanks! Are you going this year then?

I'll most probably firm it, you? I'm still waiting to hear back from Bristol and Warwick but I think i'd prefer York and will probably get rejected from the other two anyway.
Original post by RHod
I'll most probably firm it, you? I'm still waiting to hear back from Bristol and Warwick but I think i'd prefer York and will probably get rejected from the other two anyway.

Probably, though still waiting on Leeds and Sheffield. My only issue with York is how new the course is, it's so hard to know what law firms will actually make of it 3 years from now when we graduate.... Also I found the campus being split in 2 a bit odd, it's a bit of a walk from the law school to a bar :smile:.

All that said having had 'the letter' from them, feel like I'd be a bit daft to turn them down.
Reply 26
Probably, though still waiting on Leeds and Sheffield. My only issue with York is how new the course is, it's so hard to know what law firms will actually make of it 3 years from now when we graduate.... Also I found the campus being split in 2 a bit odd, it's a bit of a walk from the law school to a bar :smile:.

All that said having had 'the letter' from them, feel like I'd be a bit daft to turn them down.

I think that the course has been received pretty well to be honest, from what I've heard anyway. I didn't mind the split in the campus too much, the development is really nice. But I guess it could be annoying walking to the Law department everyday. I don't want to live in Heslington West because I'd too feel isolated from the main campus.
Original post by RHod
But I guess it could be annoying walking to the Law department everyday.

The bus is free between the two parts of campus, I believe.

Definitely wouldn't recommend living on the new build - I'd imagine it would be a bit isolated, there's much more happening on the main campus. :biggrin:
Reply 28
Yeah I guess that makes it easier, but I'd still rather live on the West. I have no clue what accommodation to apply to either...
Original post by RHod
Yeah I guess that makes it easier, but I'd still rather live on the West. I have no clue what accommodation to apply to either...

Good choice :tongue: Depends how much you can/want to spend/how many people you want to live with, really.

I live in New Vanbrugh (Donald Barron Court) which is pretty great, but yeah.
Reply 30
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
Good choice :tongue: Depends how much you can/want to spend/how many people you want to live with, really.

I live in New Vanbrugh (Donald Barron Court) which is pretty great, but yeah.

I'd probably get an en suite and I'm not really bothered about how many people I share with.
What's vanbrugh like, I'm not living on campus but a couple of people have suggested I join that college. Don't really get the whole college system if I'm honest?!

Just for a bit of insight, I studied law at York and graduated in 2011 (I was in the first year ever to study law at York). The course is very challenging but definitely worthwhile. Law firms are very positive about the course and there are lots of networking opportunities - I spent two days at Lovells in my second year as part of one of my modules. I decided law wasn't for me but I'm on the NHS Graduate Scheme so lots of opportunities for other careers.

I'd recommend living on Heslington West (the law school is a free 5 min bus ride or 15 min walk from Hes West). I lived in Vanbrugh but it makes no difference which college you are in, don't worry about that!

Happy to answer any questions =)
Thanks for the reply! Brave decision going into the first year of a new course. Did you enjoy the course itself or ever feel like doing a traditional course might have been a more straightforward option? There's a bit of me that's concerned that how well you do on the course would depend of the commitment of other people in your 'firm' or is that unfair? How much contact time did you get a week? Sorry for all the questions! Good to hear that graduates are doing well, hope you're enjoying the NHS.

Ta

Original post by twistandshout*
Just for a bit of insight, I studied law at York and graduated in 2011 (I was in the first year ever to study law at York). The course is very challenging but definitely worthwhile. Law firms are very positive about the course and there are lots of networking opportunities - I spent two days at Lovells in my second year as part of one of my modules. I decided law wasn't for me but I'm on the NHS Graduate Scheme so lots of opportunities for other careers.

I'd recommend living on Heslington West (the law school is a free 5 min bus ride or 15 min walk from Hes West). I lived in Vanbrugh but it makes no difference which college you are in, don't worry about that!

Happy to answer any questions =)
Thanks for the reply! Brave decision going into the first year of a new course. Did you enjoy the course itself or ever feel like doing a traditional course might have been a more straightforward option? There's a bit of me that's concerned that how well you do on the course would depend of the commitment of other people in your 'firm' or is that unfair? How much contact time did you get a week? Sorry for all the questions! Good to hear that graduates are doing well, hope you're enjoying the NHS.

Ta

I really did enjoy the course itself. The aspect I most enjoyed was the level of groupwork and interactive sessions, I'm not a person who really thrives on lectures so the PBL and Legal Skills modules were great for me personally.

As far as 'firms' go, I never had any problems with commitment of others in the group. If someone does not contribute, its their loss at the end of the day. All assessment is individual, group work isn't formally assessed so I wouldn't worry about that. I would say it isn't a course for someone who doesn't enjoy working in teams.

Contact hours (this may have changed) but first year around 17 hours (ish), similar in second year and probably more like 10 in third year due to dissertation.

No worries! Thank you, I'm having a really good time on my grad scheme. Of course many people from my year are now studying LPC and have training contracts.

Hope that was helpful :smile:
Reply 35
Hi guys!
I've just been invited to a Law interview for the 15th of February. Any kind of advice would be helpful! :smile:
Original post by Pavlina
Hi guys!
I've just been invited to a Law interview for the 15th of February. Any kind of advice would be helpful! :smile:

Did you get an email or a letter, and when did you receive it?

Well done for getting an interview, good luck on the 15th!

Reply 37
Original post by admbeatmaker
Did you get an email or a letter, and when did you receive it?

Well done for getting an interview, good luck on the 15th!

Got an e-mail :smile: received it at 11h30 this morning. Are you waiting to hear from them too?
Thanks a lot, I'm quite nervous!
Original post by Pavlina
Got an e-mail :smile: received it at 11h30 this morning. Are you waiting to hear from them too?
Thanks a lot, I'm quite nervous!

Indeed, I am waiting to hear from them. Nothing as yet, growing impatient and rather worried.
Reply 39
I have an interview for Law on the 15th! So excited! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest